• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Future State of North American Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Dencore wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
The Seventh Son wrote:
oh great. thats the last thing we need. american animation starting to copy anime more and more.

why is that bad? I can certainly see the reverse, Anime becoming more like american animation being bad. But if American animation copys Anime it really doesnt even effect Anime/Anime fans.

Americans can make anime if they want but it shouldn't overshadow or stand in the same league as Japanese anime. You don't know why it shouldn't? Look what Americans have done to video games to seek your answer.

Actually you are incorrect. Americans cannot make Anime. The definition of Anime is animation from Japan. So its not possible for anything made in America to be Anime. I take it that this means you are talking about 'Anime Style'. In which case, it really doesnt matter if americans make their cartoons more Animeish as it will never officially be Anime, and wont have any major effect on actual Anime which is coming out of japan. Im lookin at Video Games and I still dont think your arguement holds any water. Firstly I dont see anything wrong with most American made games. Even if there is though, once again its irrelevant becasue its not like by american games being bad it somehow contaminates japanese games and makes them bad.

Zalis116 wrote:
ANBUx3 wrote:
Does anyone else think that it's partially because the anime choices lately aren't as good? To me, it seems like most of the newer series are cutesy, moe-ish, visual novel adaptations, usually involving school girls. A few are fine, but it's getting out of hand.
I'd tend to agree with this -- from some con panels and maybe an AskJohn column, the supply of wide-appeal, mainstream-type anime still available to be licensed is dwindling. If you cut out sports, shoujo, and "vintage" (not sure how old that means) anime that doesn't have much sales potential, there's not too much left, so the companies are increasingly left with the fanboy/otaku-targeted anime, like AIR and Rozen Maiden. It doesn't seem like we're seeing many of the "hip" action/comedy series like we did 9 or 10 years ago with Bebop, Trigun, and Outlaw Star, aside from wannabe retreads like GunxSword..

One thing to perhaps keep in mind, ten years ago only the cream of the crop got imported. Now, even the more mediocre Anime sees releases here. Therefore its no suprise that some series are less profitable. Also it is more likely to see more specialized series, which have a smaller audience and are therfore less profitable. idunno, this makes less of an impact depending on how youre measuring thias all. Still though I think it has some effect no matter what.
Dencore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quote
Oh great another anime fan who thinks that other country's can't make anime.Rolling Eyes

Also I'm I the only person who finds it funny that the OP posted this article without a link, while other articles are saying that the anime industry is bigger then ever before?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Dencore wrote:
Oh great another anime fan who thinks that other country's can't make anime.Rolling Eyes

ANN's encyclopedia wrote:
Anime

Japanese word for cartoon and animation. In Japan, "anime" refers to any and all animation or cartoon - regardless of the genre, style, or nation of origin. Outside of Japan the word "anime" has come to refer specifically to animation of Japanese origins. Because of this, it is pronounced the Japanese way: "a-nee-may".

Its not oppinion. It's not a question of quality. Its not a question of style. Its simple. By its very definition Anime cannot be produced by contries other than Japan. Before you post on a forum about Anime, perhaps you should actually learn what Anime is.
10円

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Dencore wrote:
Also I'm I the only person who finds it funny that the OP posted this article without a link, while other articles are saying that the anime industry is bigger then ever before?

Feel free to disagree with me. All I have to go on is what I hear and what I read, so if you have sources claiming otherwise feel free to add them here. The general gist of nearly everything I've seen since 2005 has been rather negative with respect to average R1 profits. The number of people watching anime worldwide has grown a lot compared to previous eras, but the R1 profits have apparently been falling for years now. I think some of that comes from the bad decisions of the anime companies themselves. For instance, flooding the market and releasing cheap boxed sets too soon after the original singles were completed. I also think the Japanese copyright owners often overestimate how much their properties are truly worth and thus charge too much for licensing. And finally, I think that a lot of the cash that might have been spent on anime purchases and rentals in the past is now diverted to unrelated purchases thanks to the rampant piracy that so many anime fans apparently choose to engage in.
Wildstyle

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Hard choice but I would have to choose to keep the massive selection. Money could be an issue, but it doesnt matter because you need quality animes to spend it on.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Judging by a few things I've heard im gonna guess that Saiunkoku is very big in japan and Geneon is hoping this big successful series will do very well over here.

the problem is that the market is so saturated that a lot of stores are too focused on big stuff like SEED which take up a crapload of the shelves, and its really easy to ignore one or two dvds that youve never heard off. and there is also the crap series factor. this anime may get big, but not as big as it would be if there wasnt an overwhelming amount of other anime to choose from. if you had a smaller array of choices, then you could find a true gem easier. we've had so many successes in the past because we got a lot of the truely great titles that were a must have for licensing companies.

theres so much else to focus on that one big thing isnt as big as it would have been years ago.
indrik

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
I don't know if that's true. There has always been an emphasis on a particular big title- DragonBall was huge, took up a lot of space on shelves, etc., that gave it something of an undue influence in terms of how people perceived the anime. It's always been kind of tough to track down the fringe titles. I think in the last, say, five years or so the internet has made this easier, in terms of discussion on the fringe titles and online ordering.

Zalis116 wrote:
I just hope that ADV managed to negotiate down the allegedly stratospheric price for AIR.

I'd be interested in hearing about the reported price, especially if you've got a link to a source.
inthebiz

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
One thing that will certainly affect the future state of North American anime is the increasing amount of dubs that will be sent to Singapore to be done. That really isn't "North American" in any means, except for the fact that the companies will be passing the series off as R1 dubbed. More and more series will begin to head that way, as companies try to retain their profit margins. And more and more fans of dubs are going to be turned off by the lack of quality the Singapore dubs have to offer. It's going to be quite the down spiral.
I certainly hope the R1 companies realize what they are doing to anime by sending their dubs overseas. They are going to lose a lot of DVD purchasers. I'll be one of them.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
I just hope that ADV managed to negotiate down the allegedly stratospheric price for AIR.
I'd be interested in hearing about the reported price, especially if you've got a link to a source.
The industry doesn't really disclose that information, which is why I said "allegedly." I'm basing this off con reports and Internet messageboard chatter, so interpret it however you want.
indrik

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I know. I'd still be interested in hearing an unofficial gossipy figure, for the fun of it. If you're willing to tell what you've heard.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote
Dencore wrote:
Oh great another anime fan who thinks that other country's can't make anime

Yup ... and we need more such fans, who actually understand what they're talking about.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Higher licensing fees? True.

Anime being a niche (of a niche of a niche) market in the US? True.

Bootlegs? Inconsiderate fansubbers and the ungreatful fanbase who believe they can get what they want for free? Even more true.

Japan's fear of reverse importation? Protip to Japanese adult anime companies: REMOVE THE G**D**N CENSORS.

And I just heard that Media Blasters (along with Kitty Media) will release some future tities without English Dubbing. There goes any chance of getting any extra money.

Here's how I see it:

Japan's art and animation had taken over the world quicker than the companies responsible for it are prepared for. That's why there's this assumption, started by JapanAnime and continuing on with Bandai Visual and unfortunately Media Blasters, that it's better to cut the money from the English dubbing in order to bottom out for their own bottom lines.

My prediction is that it will backfire.

Generations of young people who grew up watching Naruto, One Piece, Mew Mew Power... They will go to a local (big box) DVD store to find that a title they might like will not include a choice on how to listen to their anime. Because somebody else made the choice for them (which is tacky IMMHO) and said that "English dubs suck." Those decision makers before them state that there's no good example of a good English dub... Did they only see like a few titles and remember the ones with the worst dubbing?

Theres an understanding that we're in some troubling times. (Maybe because of this "war?" Bush? Bueller?) And it's a good idea to shrink the number of anime titles to release in R1.

And then there's the logic being used herein. AIR? Ain't that the boring dating-sim-based anime? WELCOME TO NHK??!! There are just times when the guys over at ADV need to get slapped in the back of the head.

But yeah. The best thing for companies to do is to reduce the number of titles to release in the US. And the most important thing is to NOT SHUN THE LOCALIZED LANGUAGE.

That part in the parody PSA of illegal downloading where Danny Glover says that he tires of that s***. That's the line that should be used by the broke and poor people of this expensive hobby. Rolling Eyes
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
inthebiz wrote:
One thing that will certainly affect the future state of North American anime is the increasing amount of dubs that will be sent to Singapore to be done. That really isn't "North American" in any means, except for the fact that the companies will be passing the series off as R1 dubbed. More and more series will begin to head that way, as companies try to retain their profit margins. And more and more fans of dubs are going to be turned off by the lack of quality the Singapore dubs have to offer. It's going to be quite the down spiral.
I certainly hope the R1 companies realize what they are doing to anime by sending their dubs overseas. They are going to lose a lot of DVD purchasers. I'll be one of them.

I have a high doubt that this will happen as well. People aren't that stupid, last I checked. They would shut that shop down quicker than the one held by OJ Simpson.

Besides: Odex had been getting a lot of bad feedback locally. The blogs from over there had been burning with choice bad words about the company.

I, for one, am glad that people are standing up against the bull. Like the people stood up against Bandai Visual and its work on Galaxy Angel Rune (which is just another collecton of cheap cliches with "Galaxy Angel" stuck on it).
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

I, for one, am glad that people are standing up against the bull. Like the people stood up against Bandai Visual and its work on Galaxy Angel Rune (which is just another collecton of cheap cliches with "Galaxy Angel" stuck on it).

I too agree and just recently decided to not buy any Bandai Visual USA titles until either the episode count goes up or the price goes down. This is matter of principles since I have spent over $5000 in R1 anime DVDs a year and buy a handful of R2s. I just don't want to support the concept of what BV is doing, especially when you can buy the other Galaxy Angel bricks from BE for less than one BV disc. If I really want a title that fast I will buy the R2, otherwise I am content on waiting for an inexpensive R1 release since the subs are nice but not necessary for me. The other thing is that while I do want to buy the HD titles that BV has announced I most likely will import them since they are slated for both Blu-Ray and HDDVD in Japan, but some are limited to one format here. Especially since the price difference isn't too big between the US and Japanese editions.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

Japan's fear of reverse importation? Protip to Japanese adult anime companies: REMOVE THE G**D**N CENSORS.

You do realize that the Japanese companies CAN'T do that, right? It's ILLEGAL to not have it censored. Until the laws change, that's how it will be.

Quote:
And then there's the logic being used herein. AIR? Ain't that the boring dating-sim-based anime?

Apparently, a lot of people didn't find it boring. If ADV got it for a decent price, they can probably make out alright on it.

Quote:
WELCOME TO NHK??!! There are just times when the guys over at ADV need to get slapped in the back of the head.

I'm failing to see the problem with ADV picking up this show. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean there aren't people who do or that it doesn't have decent sales potential.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5