• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Lands in Hospital After Battle With Zelda Master Sword

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeysrumble

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
He walked right into the point...? That may explain the chest wound but what about the leg wound?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
When a man breaks into a home that is occupied, he is not there to talk.

When a man has a sword pointed at him, and still charges the sword holder, that should tell you all you need to know about the frame of mind of that man.

This has nothing to do with "Stand your Ground. SoG was designed for crimes that occur outside of your home.

When you are attacked in your house, you have the right to defend yourself from attackers.

Ex-Husband + home intruder = Life and Death threat.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
IGN covered this yesterday and had a little more detail about the situation.

Apparently Thompson and his girlfriend were having an argument and the girlfriend called her ex-husband over. The ex-husband went crazy, broke into the house and chased Thompson around.

The ex-husband at one point walked into the sword, which Thompson grabbed as a means of self defense. After which the ex-husband hit Thompson with the flower pot and in the struggle, Thompson injured the ex-husband a few more times with the sword.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/03/04/man-stabbed-with-zeldas-master-sword
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Link and Zelda vs Stalker Ganon.
Texas Style.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:

Apparently Thompson and his girlfriend were having an argument and the girlfriend called her ex-husband over. The ex-husband went crazy, broke into the house and chased Thompson around.

Sounds as though the girl just can't help but pick losers, though as the great philosopher of our time, William Murderface, said: "Women are Soul Murderers!"
Quote:

He walked right into the point...? That may explain the chest wound but what about the leg wound?
He walked into it again? Maybe he was channeling the Black Knight? This whole experience, slashing acquaintances with Link's sword & getting hit with flower pots, it all reminds me of playing LoZ: 4 Sword Adventures Smile
Quote:
is this even allowed by the law??
Since December 15th, 1791 Cool
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote

Dashing straight into sword...... throwing pot........ These are common occurrence in Hyrule, and it's all fair play.

TarsTarkas wrote:

This has nothing to do with "Stand your Ground. SoG was designed for crimes that occur outside of your home.

When you are attacked in your house, you have the right to defend yourself from attackers.

Yeah, these are Castle Laws.
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Actually stand your ground means "The right to use deadly force to defend themselves without any requirement to evade or retreat from a dangerous situation."

Basically you could go looking for trouble when it could have been avoided or trouble comes to you but if your life is in danger you don't have to run and hide. Hence stand your ground and face the threat head on which isn't always the best thing to do.

In some states they want you to flee to some room, lock the door and call the police and pray that they get their in time.

So unless this sword was say a mantle piece and that was the nearest weapon within arms reach he should have had a better weapon. Guessing he was some nerd and that was all he had.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of upset that this incident wasn't the result of a sword fight between 2 master swords... well this will do I guess.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:

So unless this sword was say a mantle piece and that was the nearest weapon within arms reach he should have had a better weapon. Guessing he was some nerd and that was all he had.

I can understand every Texan not having a "six-shooter" on his hip nowadays but for a Texan to have to resort to a replica of a video game sword to defend himself just doesn't jibe with my vision of Texas. This dude must not have been a real Texan Laughing

Even though he isn't a real Texan (lol), I feel bad for him as his girlfriend is a trainwreck: calling in the ex is a sure sign that it is time to dump her post-haste. Lingering attachments, lack of commitment, "hasn't moved on"...all that jazz. Sad
THELISTCRITIC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
Sources say that the flower pot contained one green rupee, and spontaneously regenerated after Thompson left the room.
Bablioteca

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Well, it is Texas... Rolling Eyes

If he was a real TEXAN his sword would have shot.

good effort though.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
A better source of information is probably the local Houston news (rather an Oklahoma station, 400 miles away), at http://www.click2houston.com/news/two-men-hospitalized-after-legend-of-zelda-sword-stabbing/-/1735978/24762634/-/14sj6nvz/-/index.html

They call the girlfriend the homeowner. And since it is "estranged husband", rather than "ex-husband", the husband may still have partial title. It makes the home-defense angle murkier.

And Thompson mentioned using the sword replica as part of a costume at anime conventions.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Edit

Last edited by Bright_Spear on Tue May 06, 2014 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Brimfyre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
I have a replica Excalibur from F/SN, and always wondered if it would work as a make shift weapon if someone broke into my house. Now I have my answer.

I'm also in Texas.

But I will say, all you people saying, "Well it is Texas har har har." It's more surprising he didn't have a gun and just shoot the guy.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
monkeysrumble wrote:
Probably injured by the broken flower pot. It is a tragedy, but I can't help but chuckle at the situation which seems right out of a sit-com script. I hope the swordsman will have come to his senses after the bash to the head by his supposed love of his life. Time to move on mate. Wink Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2