• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NTT DoCoMo Survey Ranks Best Gundam Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
SEED over Zeta?

Gritting my teeth as hard as I can. Gundam SEED has zero flavor to it. This is like saying you prefer a dry rice cake over a juicy ribeye steak.

I'm sitting here yelling at SEED like Homer Simpson with such a rice cake. "Hello? Taste? Where are you?"

I've been setting my drinks on that show.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest that I liked the first Gundam Seed, but to have it on number 2 and above Zeta is just... that just can't be.

Also, Seed Destiny on 4 is just hilarious. The only Gundam show I ever regret having fully watched.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Seed is what gets you? Destiny should be lower I admit, but Seed was an awesome series even if it borrowed a lot of elements from the other series.
Chibi Kaji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I'll be honest that I liked the first Gundam Seed, but to have it on number 2 and above Zeta is just... that just can't be.

Also, Seed Destiny on 4 is just hilarious. The only Gundam show I ever regret having fully watched.

Kind of surprised to see SEED up so high.

Watching Destiny was kind of like watching a train crash. You didn't really want to watch, but you couldn't look away.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
It could simply be because the remaster has refueled the hype.
Give it a year or so and the list will probably look more reasonable.
Keyl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
SEED over Zeta?

Gritting my teeth as hard as I can. Gundam SEED has zero flavor to it. This is like saying you prefer a dry rice cake over a juicy ribeye steak.

I'm sitting here yelling at SEED like Homer Simpson with such a rice cake. "Hello? Taste? Where are you?"

I've been setting my drinks on that show.

I'll take bland over the nothing that was Zeta. Talk about a waste of space (pun intended).
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Not my personal list as I think Turn A and X should reign over a few titles.

Still, nice to see that crap called AGE rank in last.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
How in the hell is Destiny number 4 that series sucked so badly. The writers on the show had no idea how to write characters at all. Kira was space Jesus and perfect, Athrun was a passive waste standing around wondering if he should do something, and Shinn was by far the worst an arrogant hypocritical psycho who by the end of the series was left there crying like a baby man how I hated him. Every female character was absolutely worthless and brought nothing to the table not even being interesting. Talia the captain of the Minerva by series ends takes a shuttle over to the exploding enemy base and decides to die their with chairman telling Kira to tell Murrue to go see her still alive son who can't be older then max 5. Mu is unceremoniously brought back from the dead out of nowhere even though in Seed he blew up in front of the Archangel's bridge in full view of everyone. They had to retcon it for this to make any sense. The other gundam pilots from Seed are almost completely forgotten about and don't even have their gundam's anymore which sucks. The Earth Federation are written so badly they should have been twirling their mustaches and laughing maniacally. The entire Earth was written as genocidal maniacs who at every chance used any WMD they could get to kill every life they could and of course enslaved their own people. Nothing like past gundam series that have shown the grey of war and really no side is innocent of atrocities or pure as they want to believe. Why should I ever think Zaft is evil in the series when Earth is so unabashedly evil. This seires sucked so badly it kinda is infuriating.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
All those fangirls voting for their god, Kira. But at least we can all agree AGE does not exist.
Akuma-Soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I can not stop laughing! Seed over Zeta and Destiny in the top 5! This is great! This is the best day ever! I'm so damn happy!
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Out of the series here I have seen Gundam, Seed, Destiny, Wing, 00, and G. I would rank them 1. Gundam, 2. 00, 3. Wing, 4. Seed, 5. G, and far off in the distance last place Destiny.

My favorite gundam series by far though was an Gundam 8th MS Team. A series that focused on the rank and file Earth Federation soldiers fighting down and dirty on Earth. No super gundams that can take a million shots to bring down and no genetic super pilots that can beat a thousand MS by themself. Just normal MS pilots piloting slightly better MS then the basic GM trying to survive the war. Lastly that OVA had the best MS fight of all time between Zeon ace Norris in his Gouf Custom, one of my favorite MS of all time, against the team especially Shiro in his EZ8 that fight was amazingly animated and the tension through out it all was great.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd take SEED over Zeta any day. Zeta is a chore to watch. SEED is at least entertaining.

And western fans tend to forget just how popular SEED and Destiny are in Japan, so it's no surprise they're so high up.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Rather than complain about the list that coincides 100% perfectly with series popularity in Japan I'll just give me ranking of the TV series:

1. Zeta Gundam
2. Mobile Suit Gundam
3. Turn A Gundam
4. Victory Gundam
5. Gundam 00
6. G Gundam
7. Gundam X
8. Gundam Wing
9. Gundam ZZ
10. Gundam Seed
11. Gundam Age
12. Gundam Seed Destiny

Why do I put Destiny last? Well I think it had more technically wrong with it's story line a lot quicker than Age. Really I did like Age well enough up until the last 10 or so episodes where the motivations of the characters largely stopped making any sense or having any consistency with the rest of the story whatsover. Seed Destiny I felt was alright up until about the end of the first quarter and then it was a complete and utter mess of story lines that went pretty much nowhere for the rest of the show.

Build Fighters I don't think it's fair to include since it has yet to finish unlike the others, but right now I'd probably put it somewhere between Wing and ZZ or maybe G Gundam and X. Keeping in mind most of these shows are seperated by the thinnest of margins in terms of overall rating, like we're talking about an 8-10/10 difference until we get to Seed/Destiny and Age which are about the only entries I really can't say I've cared for in the end over the decades and even then I'd still give Seed and Age a 5/10 overall with Destiny being the sole entry in the history of the TV franchise to fall below the line of mediocrity and into outright poor quality territory.

Essentially it's really hard to completely fudge up a Gundam series for me so the fact that the staff of Destiny managed it gives it something of it's own dubious legendary status as far as I'm concerned making it something like The Room of Gundam series.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I've only recently started watching SEED, and it is my first Gundam series. But I like it so far. I had done quite a bit of research on the series to find out what makes the best gateway Gundam, and which series is considered the best overall.

Most people I've heard from on the Internet seem to like SEED the most, so I had no problem starting there.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
>Seed at the top
>Turn A at the bottom
Shit taste all across the board.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6