• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madhouse Animates Avengers Confidential: Black Widow and Punisher

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
so here we go again another marvel anime project this time black widow & punisher?

well give wonder is all soon another marvel-verse of anime of this is like marvel answer to counter DC-UAO but using anime design?

all left wonder what next coulson finally get an anime version?
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote
GhostShell wrote:
At least the animation quality will be a heck of a lot better than the current Avengers Assemble stuff that's out there.

Well, better than Assemble, anyway--
Disney's trying to follow the lead of their Ultimate Spiderman series and make their Disney Anime hyper shows hip, funny and fast-moving! (And follow the movie lead, where the Avengers are only six characters who hate each other.)
Which unfortunately blemishes the legacy that the "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" cartoon that came before it may very well be THE second-greatest Marvel animated series ever made, just behind the original X-Men:TAS.

But that's Disney, and this's Sony, where they're still in 2007, using the feature animateds to test out live-action movie projects they're not sure of.
And yeah, if it was that Black Widow spinoff, I wouldn't be so danged sure, either.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
It makes sense to have a line to compete with the Studio 4C animated DC movies. But those tend to adapt comic arcs while these are original scripts. Then again, I could do well without an adaptation of Disassembled or One More Day.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
> THE second-greatest Marvel animated series ever made, just
> behind the original X-Men:TAS

Get this man some Spectacular Spider-man stat!
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
Really? Another Marvel/Madhouse collaboration? I guess that means that Marvel's not solely relying on one anime studio now.

As for the trailer, it does have some good potential but the previous Marvel/Madhouse collaborations are rather mediocre and the last film Rise of Technivore really surprised me in how pretentious it is and I just hope that this film would be more fun.

Lastly, this is actually a Black Widow/Punisher team up film? A very unusual pairing if you ask me and why put Avengers in the title when this movie is solely focusing on the spy and vigilante? Marketing purposes, I guess and as for Carol Danvers, this marks her first animated appearance as the new Captain Marvel and I for one am looking forward to her appearance and where's Captain America? Geez, what does Madhouse have against him, anyways?!

I just hope this is more fun and tolerable than the last film.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Really? Another Marvel/Madhouse collaboration? I guess that means that Marvel's not solely relying on one anime studio now.

As for the trailer, it does have some good potential but the previous Marvel/Madhouse collaborations are rather mediocre and the last film Rise of Technivore really surprised me in how pretentious it is and I just hope that this film would be more fun.

Lastly, this is actually a Black Widow/Punisher team up film? A very unusual pairing if you ask me and why put Avengers in the title when this movie is solely focusing on the spy and vigilante? Marketing purposes, I guess and as for Carol Danvers, this marks her first animated appearance as the new Captain Marvel and I for one am looking forward to her appearance and where's Captain America? Geez, what does Madhouse have against him, anyways?!

I just hope this is more fun and tolerable than the last film.

Surprisingly, Black Widow and Punisher have teamed up on lots of things together, she was even in The Punisher video game.

Honestly though I feel like this is Marvel's response to shut up the Black Widow fans who want her to get her own solo film....which is not a good look for Marvel
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
Well, it looks slick but the question will be will the story be any good?

I'll add this to our list of animation for the Spring. We always need more animation for students to checkout from DC and Marvel.

As always Madhouse never disappoints in the animation department.
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
electricpatriot wrote:
Okay. I think we've already established that the Marvel anime line is nothing to write home about, and this is coming from a fan of Marvel.

Do you think the reason people get excited is because some folks think "Oh my god, Marvel anime, it's gotta be awesome because it's anime!" when they see this stuff?

If you mean, do they say "Oh wow, it's Marvel AND anime!" like they did with the DC Batman titles, not taking into account (A) the storytelling styles are too drastically different, and (B) the Japanese don't really understand Western superheroes, Marvel-angsty or not, then, um....yeah, pretty much.

Fortunately, this sounds like just hire-work (Marvel doesn't seem to be doing any more domestic animation outside of Disney, like they did with the Lionsgate animateds), so Madhouse won't screw up the tone too much as they did with Iron Man or X-Men.
This sounds more like Marvel using animation to wind-tunnel test a couple of iffy feature-film ideas (like they did with Thor and Iron Man before their movies went into production), as they've been tossing around the idea of a Black Widow spinoff for Scarlett Johanson whether the fans want one or not. Along with their finally getting the Punisher back in the family, but not sure whether HE needs one more live-action feature. (Hey, say what you want, but IMO, "War Zone" was about as close as anyone's gotten so far; real-Marvel's improvements on it would only be cosmetic.)

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I love Marvel stuff but would normally would not have given two shits about this. Jennifer Carpenter as Black Widow though that is kind of cool so I am in. I don't care at all for Black Widow but JC is a pretty good actress and is fun and tough as nails so I think she can bring something to that character that I can like.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Lastly, this is actually a Black Widow/Punisher team up film? A very unusual pairing if you ask me and why put Avengers in the title when this movie is solely focusing on the spy and vigilante?

Just seeing the title, flashed back on when Marvel and DC did their one shot "Amalgamated Universe" summer stunt, where the two universes dimensionally collided, characters became new combinations of Marvel and DC, and one of the titles was "Diana Prince and Frank Castle are...BULLETS AND BRACELETS!" Smile

(As for "Avengers", the only canon story Marvel Films even has to tell about Black Widow as a solo character is the time Hawkeye had to go after a "rogue" agent, thus establishing their relationship in the movie. And, they hope, establishing them a safe alibi for actually doing a spinoff.)

wonderwomanhero wrote:
Honestly though I feel like this is Marvel's response to shut up the Black Widow fans who want her to get her own solo film....which is not a good look for Marvel

EVERY...SINGLE...SOLITARY...comic book movie that ever had a tight-lycra'ed babe in it had studio execs thinking of a "Spinoff".

Where did it start? Back when Tim Burton was so neurotically stubborn over liking Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman in "Batman Returns", he refused to do a third movie unless Warner let him do a spinoff. They said, um, no.
At the same time, 007 producers thought Halle Berry was the reason everyone went to see "Die Another Day", and thought her sexy-comic-book-babe should be spun off into a movie, which never happened. Flash forward a year or two, when Warner ran out of Batman movies after Joel Schumacher, looked at old memos, and said "Hey, a Catwoman spinoff!...Let's get Halle Berry!" (Now y'see how these things work? Rolling Eyes )

As for Marvel, that would date back to Daredevil being "unfairly" bashed by the critics and non-fans, tolerant fans asking for a better sequel, and Fox execs saying "Let's do a Jennifer Garner Elektra movie instead!...We all know fans really wanted the sexy babe!"
Now go back to Iron Man 2 being "unfairly" bashed by fans, and insert Scarlett and Widow for Garner and Elektra, for pretty much the same dim studio-exec reasons. And it would probably end up just as bad.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Which unfortunately blemishes the legacy that the "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" cartoon that came before it may very well be THE second-greatest Marvel animated series ever made, just behind the original X-Men:TAS.

Ha...I still like the 90s X-men show, but it hasn't really aged well. Earth's Mightiest Heroes is probably better, in my humble opinion.

I recall most the fight with Graviton at the end of the introductory episodes, thinking, "DBZ and all its ilk can only WISH that they had a fight like this." Razz

Last edited by Looneygamemaster on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
SwordKing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I have personally only seen X-men anime and the 90s X-men and X-men Evolution and I like what the anime was doing. It was a very fun and different spin on the X-men. I liked the fight with Wolverine and Beast versus the Hellfire Club member where he went berserker on him.

On the same DVD set, there is an interview that shows that they wanted to do something different with the X-men. They also mention that things were different when working with an international property with Marvel. They said that they cannot always follow a set path with anime, so they kept changing it up with Wolverine, Iron Man, and Blade and experimenting with it.

I have only seen X-men anime, so I can't comment on Iron Man, Blade, Wolverine, or Technovore. Laughing
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

As always Madhouse never disappoints in the animation department.
Princess Resurrection has a bone to pick with you Wink

My hopes aren't high for this.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
This reminds me that I never checked out Technovore...
Well, I definitely don't mind more animate Marvel, but I haven't found their animated movies as good as DC's. Maybe they should start adapting more comic story arcs instead of original scripts?
And yeah, the 90's X-men (& Spider-man) shows haven't aged well,... but they're still awesome.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Rise of Technivore, but was disapointed The Punisher only had a cameo.The trailer for Punisher/ Black Widow Avengers Confidential looks Awesome
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3