• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Psycho-Pass English Dub Cast, Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Definently getting the premium edition since I found the kamisama one to be disliking due to content of extras. THIS is extras! Not awesome compared to Urobuchis other works, but its an above decent flick. For this show to be great, Akane had to get thrown under the bus for how annoying she is. She makes Saki Watanabe in Shin Sekai Yori look like Mokot Kusanagi. Kogami is in the center of the ads, why is he not the main character!? Design principle #1 to draw the audiences attention. IG and Urobuchi loose 20 points.

Overall, thats the only problem I had with the show along with some run of the mill characters.

Dub-wise, josh grelle is a good choice. But I hope its the editers fault for making his lines sound messed up and quick. Jason Douglas...........Man o Man I never thought of that since Abenobashi. Its a different voice compared to the japanese version thats for sure, but it sounds good enough justice. Kogami seems good, sounds like Kiristugus English VA which is good. I cant give opinion of main girl since she talked during funimations ad butcher block. Also she is the selling point in my opinion if this dub will turn to rotton cheese.

Funimation thinks its funny to butcher an ad with disjointed and terrible audio mixing that makes the audio tapes and record labels played in a mixer sound like gods toilet flushing as angels sing in chorus.
GothShinobi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Psycho-Pass has to be my favourite anime this year, just hope that limited editions like this actually make it to UK releases - this one looks awesome.
The English dubs seem well suited too so far!
kyocrisis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I always kinda thought Kogami was the main character, but Akane is definitely co-main.

Still, I didn't find her that annoying.

Dub looks good. Might watch it before season 2 comes out for a refresher.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
No, Akane is the main character as the show is built around her character arc from rookie to embittered veteran. Kogami is so flat he barely...

Wait, was he involved in the plot at all? Did he even care beyond the motive driving whatever revenge arc he had because that's what cops have in these kind of stories?

Quote:
The story centers around the "enforcement officer" Shinya Kōgami (Tomokazu Seki) who is tasked with managing crime in such a world.

That's not what I remember; I thought it was more like this: The story "centers" around the "enforcement officer" Shinya Kōgami (Tomokazu Seki) who is "tasked" with "managing crime" in such a "world".

But they're really selling it this way. According to the trailer, Akane would seem to be some sort of office lady who's completely out of her element. True for most of the first episode, I suppose; the dynamic changed after... I loved that part.

And more Kate Oxley is a good thing. She's not Funimation's greatest vocal talent or voice or actor or presence even but she is recognizable. This started as a compliment, kind of got lost on the way to the period....
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely Akane's show, and it's really frustrating to me that Funimation looks to be marketing it as Kogami's. The narrative centers around her and she and her character growth are the prime focus, from start to finish. She's undoubtedly the lead.

But the box set features Kogami prominently on both the cover and interior, he's shoved to the front of the group shots, the trailer gives little attention to Akane, and the 'blurb' for it outright says the show 'centers around Kogami'.

I'm not cool with this. Obviously it's not going to change the focus of the show itself, but it's unfortunate as all that even nowadays we're still shoving the male to the forefront even though the actual lead is in fact female.

As for GothShinobi finding her so annoying that she should die, I guess there's no accounting for bad taste. Rolling Eyes
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
EDIT: SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST! COMPUTER LOAD PROBLEM! DELETE THIS!

Last edited by bs3311 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
Animegomanic wrote:
No, Akane is the main character as the show is built around her character arc from rookie to embittered veteran.

Of course she is the main character. But along with the fact they advertised as Kogami being the main character with his placement in trailers and picture ads, Akane was the actual main character with Kogami getting little development then he deserved.

Plus I found her character to be built incredibally weak since I think that a casual viewer can barely notice that she changed when in the end she looks and feels like the same stereotype of a dating simulator main character for a shojo visual novel.

Quote:
True for most of the first episode, I suppose; the dynamic changed after... I loved that part.

I loved that part too. But I found as the story developed, she halted on that type of development. She started out as a ms. perfect with little knowledge of actual crime then ended as a ms. perfect with a handful of knowledge in actual crime. spoiler[She does show a student the ropes] but that is basically a carbon copy of the first episode with no twist from her experience of being a main character going through the story of Psycho-Pass.

kazenoyume wrote:
This is absolutely Akane's show, and it's really frustrating to me that Funimation looks to be marketing it as Kogami's.

I know that is the case. But the same thing happend with the show when it was being brought on TV in japan and legal streaming.

This is of course marketing for the male audience in both the east and west so that they will be pulled in since west-wise that is one of funimations top 3 demographics so far when it comes to the shonen profit they license in titles. There is a case that female demographic is involved with there succuss but that is only with 3 titles when funimations list goes around a dozen male centric titles.

So this show is my mind for the female audiences for the most part IMO yet if I showed this to my female friends they would toss it aside saying that Akane is too whiny yet jesus-like to feel related when interacting with the characters. Even if she is supposed to be an individual that is supposed to be a SIM like palyer with an individual personality like Tomoya from Clannad or Kanako from Maria+Holic, she is otherwise a character trying to be both in a negative way IMO. She did fine though in episode 1 an 11 but that was only just 2 times.

But if they wanted something to mix with the male and female demographic while staying to the so called roots there advertising with I.G. then they could have made Yaoi have the main character chair, spoiler[and though there is some fanservice twists with herethat are only mentioned twice in the series.] It leaves a balance for both viewer audiences to enjoy the main character along with the CSI type gang.

Overall, speaking what I see.
iCards

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
My first Funimation purchase incoming! Just like I said back in ~August, Funimation has begun pushing the Limited Edition-type releases. Seeing Viz do it as well is awesome. I probably have more faith in Viz than I do in Funimation, but we'll just have to wait & see how far both companies decide to push quality releases, rather than quantity.

Don't care for the dub though, just gimme that BD quality, those nice extras & i'm all set Laughing .

I don't mind if they "push" Premium high quality sets as long as they continue to offer the reasonably priced standard edition as well. I actually prefer it. I actually want the Limited Edition for my favorite shows, I just can't afford to buy every series that way. I don't think Funimation will stop selling one or the other. Their entire business is based around the western audience, so they really can't afford to alienate their customers with ridiculous prices. Also, looking at this compared to Aniplex of America releases the price is fantastic. 22 episodes and all of the extras for less than $100 in the US? Yeah, that's a fantastic deal.

Same on the dub for me too. I won't watch it, but if I show it to my friends, its still nice. And since it is Funimation, it will likely be very good quality.

True I misread the press release on Rightstuf. I thought it was just a part 1 PE for $95, but if it is the whole first season I fully support this. I paid $90(89.98) for Guilty Crown Part 1 LE (with the box and concept art book) and Part 2 together, and this is only $5 more with the Art box and OST(Those are what I would be after; the badge stuff would be more appriciated by people who can go to Cons for cosplay purposes).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

Plus I found her character to be built incredibally weak since I think that a casual viewer can barely notice that she changed when in the end she looks and feels like the same stereotype of a dating simulator main character for a shojo visual novel.

I'd say Erica Friedman said it best about Akane's character:

Quote:
Our apparently naive protagonist had grown. But…you know, I don’t think she ever was naive or immature. The character design was camouflage – it was our belief that Akane *must* be naive, because she is small, female and young. If you pay attention to the story as it played out, she was actually fairly confident and cool – not emotionless, just able to make decisions regardless of whatever the circumstances were- throughout. We might not always agree with the decisions, but that was part of her strength, too. I consider Akane to be one of the overall best lead female roles I’ve seen in anime.

And there were moments that support that like spoiler[when Akane actually volunteer to be hooked up to a machine that'll make her reminisce her friend's death so they can gain evidence. Not to mention she wasn't completely mindraped and was able to get back to do her job. And there's the moment where she pretty much mirrored Shinya's thought process in order to find him which even Gino was shocked. And there's the "smackdown" Akane had against the Sibyl System where she could have easily destroy the core but knew the ramifications long-term.]
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
What a fantastic article Darkchibi. It really nailed what I liked about Akane and I agree she's one of the best female characters in recent anime.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
Just added the Premium Edition to my "Remind Me" list. Not a bad price considering it includes twenty-two episodes plus two O.S.T CDs and the rest. I haven't seen any of the episodes yet, but it looks intriguing.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I'd say Erica Friedman said it best about Akane's character:

Quote:

Our apparently naive protagonist had grown. But…you know, I don’t think she ever was naive or immature. The character design was camouflage – it was our belief that Akane *must* be naive, because she is small, female and young. If you pay attention to the story as it played out, she was actually fairly confident and cool – not emotionless, just able to make decisions regardless of whatever the circumstances were- throughout. We might not always agree with the decisions, but that was part of her strength, too. I consider Akane to be one of the overall best lead female roles I’ve seen in anime.

its what I said before, "looks and feels like the same stereotype".
She started out naive. She was questioning orders while constantly asking questions. Changes in the story resulted in her being smarter but still question things like Kogami's life and Shinya.

Saki stood out more for the better. She witnessed multiple crap in here life. spoiler[Finding out her family and friends were dissapearing from the system of control]. She may have done the same thing in the ending but spoiler[she was impacted more by it compared to Akane. 2 people gone. Oh so sad. Saki got nearly 7 people she got attached to killed along with her village being attacked due to her friends wanting to rebel against the system of control. At least we saw it go worng unlike psycho pass.] Saki is just the better character IMO along with Shin Sekai Yori. Starting naive yet a good leader then witnessing more and more than clearly growing to a better learner and leader mentally and physically making her journery feel more painful in a possitive way. Akane just stays somewhat shy yet knowledgable.

The spoiler stuff is questionable.

spoiler[Its reminiscent to episode 11 so I liked that. ]

Thinking like the criminal is used in other stories told which I found not impressive in this.

Thats the problem, in real life you have to take risks whether they affect an individual or mankind. Its remeniscent to her being a jesus character. Yayoi would have been better since she has witnessed the system along with living in it. She was a regular girl too so she has the mindset of both to make more accurate descisions without freezing up in mental thought process.

Last edited by bs3311 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Off topic, I think Toonami would be wise to pick this up.

Maybe when Stand Alone Complex and 2nd GIG run all the way through. Williams Street can certainly capitalize on the Production I.G. heritage that Psycho-Pass shares with those shows.
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Off topic, I think Toonami would be wise to pick this up.

Maybe when Stand Alone Complex and 2nd GIG run all the way through. Williams Street can certainly capitalize on the Production I.G. heritage that Psycho-Pass shares with those shows.

The thing is that GITS SAC/2nd GIG are watched by mainstream audiences in the US, not anime fans, for the most part, as with all other entries in the GITS series. Psycho Pass is not going to sell hundreds of thousands of DVD and BDs anytime soon, unlike the SAC series. It didn't work for IGPX, a show that is part Toonami, so why would a jobber show done by IG and other companies mean anything?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Pangea wrote:
Well I'll definitely buy this one

Same here. I decided that back when I watched it subbed on FUNi's site. Nothing is perfect but overall this series was pretty phenomenal for me.

Seeing Robert McCollum and Kate Oxley makes me pretty excited too. I'll be interested to see how the others do in their respective roles, as I've either not heard them in a comparable one beforehand or not at all.

As much as I normally love them, that trailer just... didn't work. It felt schizophrenic and didn't entirely convey the theme of the series; Masaoka's line was nice alongside Gino's rundown of the hunting dogs. Oh well. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3