• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Broadcast and DVD Release of Orguss, Nobody's Boy Remi and Cat's Eye coming from ImaginAsian

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guilhem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
Guilhem wrote:

So they'll not be available from Amazon or any other sellers which allow a worldwide distribution... Greeeat... :/

And after that, they wonder why people download instead of buying...

I don't see what the big deal is. ImaginAsian has an online store, right? Purchasing direct from the "manufacturer" isn't a bad thing.

If they ship to Euro, yes, but most of the time editors cannot ship outside of the USA: I got the same problem with VOTOMs a few weeks back...

Besides, I didn't see any ordering page on their website (I assume it's this one but I may be wrong...) and I got no luck with my google researches either

Any help will be greatly appreciated
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tax Man Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Dear Lord my greatest anime dream has come true. I watched the 70's version of Remi on the french channel a year ago and really enjoyed watching it, one problem, i don't speak French. I was able to understand most of what was coming on because I had read the book it was based off of, but alot of it was very confusing and I ended up buying the series on ebay, but no subs. Now I can finally watch it in a language I can understand! But my parents hate online shopping on any websites that arn't ebay and chapters, so I probably can't see it anyway.... anywhoo, the 1996 Remi is a girl, not a boy. The original author wrote another book called Nobody's girl starring (no duh) a girl, but there is no anime based on that. The 1996 version used a girl because they changed Remi from having good harp skills to having a good singing voice, i can't remember why.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Did you have any input in getting these three "buried treasures" on IATV? I love Cat's Eye and Orguss, and almost resorted on giving up on an R1, but couldn't decide between shelling out a ton of cash for R2s or going the awful bootleg route. I'm definitely going to buy all three series without hesitation, especially since each entire series runs the same amount as four Bandai Visual USA episodes. Is there any plans on releasing the rest of the Cat's Eye episodes if season one does well.

I will second (or third) Space Cobra. I'd also love to see the neglected Rose of Versailles and Aim for the Ace. These series were cultural phenomenons in Japan, but so few fans in the States have even heard of them. My old Beta copies (don't even have a machine anymore) were very blurry fifth+ generation copies, and I would love to buy these series if they are digitally restored.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Did you have any input in getting these three "buried treasures" on IATV?

Muahahaha.... I love my job.

We don't currently have the rights for Cat's Eye Season 2, but if Season 1 sells well, everyone seems interested in continuing. We shall see.

Also, thanks for all the suggestions, guys. The TMS catalog is a treasure trove, and I really felt like a kid in a candy store going through their catalog.

The TMS Anime Classics website will be up in a few weeks. I'll make an announcement when we're taking preorders.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm all over this like rape, spit, and horrific, grotesque puss filled warts and malformations on a Spartan Oracle (yes I saw 300, shut up Sad )

No do us a favour and ship internationally! I mean, I should be able to work something out with some American friends, but if I do not have to sidestep this, then it would be awesome.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:55 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Did you have any input in getting these three "buried treasures" on IATV?

Muahahaha.... I love my job.

We don't currently have the rights for Cat's Eye Season 2, but if Season 1 sells well, everyone seems interested in continuing. We shall see.

Also, thanks for all the suggestions, guys. The TMS catalog is a treasure trove, and I really felt like a kid in a candy store going through their catalog.

The TMS Anime Classics website will be up in a few weeks. I'll make an announcement when we're taking preorders.

Justin, I have a few questions-

1- Will there be some kind of silk screen/text or design in the discs themselves? Or will they basically be blank, disc surface-wise?

2- Will these be available to Canadians? I'm assuming that's the case since most R1 titles are.

3- Will the keepcases have artwork of any kind?

4- Will the Cats Eye dvd's include the english versions of the end theme songs? They'd make nice extras, or something neat to throw into random episodes.... I'm not sure how they fit into the japanese release...

For international people, it'd be a good idea to pester your local companies, as these releases will provide them with existing official english subtitle translations, which can help sometimes Anime smile

btw-- Justin, did you know Imavision's released Rose of Versailles in French/Japanese in Canada?
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I'd drop the dough on Cat's Eye TODAY.

Good move!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
1- Will there be some kind of silk screen/text or design in the discs themselves? Or will they basically be blank, disc surface-wise?

The discs will have full color printing on them. Not sure the exact technology yet.

Quote:
2- Will these be available to Canadians? I'm assuming that's the case since most R1 titles are.

Yes, Canadian orders are accepted.

Quote:
3- Will the keepcases have artwork of any kind?

The standard full-color paper-in-sleeve sort, like most other DVD's.

Quote:
4- Will the Cats Eye dvd's include the english versions of the end theme songs? They'd make nice extras, or something neat to throw into random episodes.... I'm not sure how they fit into the japanese release...

I didn't know about these. Where are they from? There's a (good) chance TMS doesn't own those materials, but if I can give them an idea of where to look, I can at least ask. (Please don't say "DDR")

Quote:
btw-- Justin, did you know Imavision's released Rose of Versailles in French/Japanese in Canada?

Yes. Doesn't do me much good, however. Smile
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
I assumed they were some kind of soundtrack release, like the Dunbine and LGaim english songs, so TMS might not have access to them [though I think the 2nd season's end song was only done in english]

Hooray for Canadian orders being accepted Smile I'm glad to hear we'll get some packaging and disc art with all this too. It's kind of like a fill your own Brickcase thingie, which is nice.

Out of curiousity, was the original Glass Mask anime from the 80's a TMS production, or owned by them? I know the 1998 OVA was, as wellas the more recent series........ also in the "who knows who owns it" pile is Tokimeki Tonight.... still, I'm more then happy to see these three series get their day, and hope Aim for the Ace and Cobra get a chance too.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
Justin: can we figure something out for Australian orders? I don't mind a proxy but I'd rather go straight to you guys, considering Madman will never pick these up.
billy bob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
awwweesheeooommmmee!

wonderful deal there and at such a low price. wow. TMS has a great backlog of content, especially their 70s/80s stuff. I'd love to see more stuff released. Dezaki's stuff would be great (Ashita no Joe anyone?) i'd also like to see some of thier old sport shows, particularly Samurai Giants,
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
billy bob wrote:
Dezaki's stuff would be great

Not quite, if you ask a kagikko.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
jsevakis: I just realized an obvious one: Ashita No Joe. And is there any possibility you can co-produce another Golgo OVA?
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, i must be dreaming - WAHOOO!

Never in my wildest dreams did i think any of these classics would get a US release. I'm amazed a company has found a profitable way to market these old school titles. I've seen such ideas dreamed about over at AOD or Ask John columns but never did i predict such an idea would come true.

Hopefully TMS won't do what they did with titles like Lupin or Golgo and demand certain logos be edited out - grrrr.

I will be buying everything as i've always wanted to see such an ambitious project done. I would love to see Ace Wo Nerae picked up next and some obscure OVA's would be a treat to - TMS produced Space Fantasia 2001 Nights.

This is the most exciting anime news since.... EVER!
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
jsevakis: Oh yeah, if you can't get the dvd rights to the rest of the Lupin shows, can you at least convince Geneon to broadcast them on ImaginAsian? I'd imagine they'd find a wider audience than on Adult Swim. Also, if I order through ImaginAsian, can I send a check?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3