• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kanji question (not anime related)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,

This kanji I found on a Kanji website : http://www5.big.or.jp/~otake/hey/kanji/gifmoji/f7/kintama.gif is the kanji for testicles. I was surprised because I've seen the symbol on the bottom (the vertical line with 3 horizontal lines) on someone's tattoo. This person's tattoo consists of that symbol, but placed on the top and another symbol I haven't identified on the bottom. So my question is, what does that symbol mean?

And a second question is: what would the kanji for "testicle sucker" look like? Because it wouldn't surprise me if that was what this person tattoed on her back.

Thanks,

Luminal
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
The bottom character (pronounced hou or tama) means 'jewel'. Hope this clears a few things up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Luminal wrote:
This kanji I found on a Kanji website : http://www5.big.or.jp/~otake/hey/kanji/gifmoji/f7/kintama.gif is the kanji for testicles. I was surprised because I've seen the symbol on the bottom (the vertical line with 3 horizontal lines) on someone's tattoo. This person's tattoo consists of that symbol, but placed on the top and another symbol I haven't identified on the bottom. So my question is, what does that symbol mean?

Look at the file name: kintama. That's the reading -- literally, "golden balls", meaning "testicles" or "scrotum". It's one of the oldest slang terms known in Japanese, so old that I am informed that it has been around since the Heian period, a thousand years ago (so calling it "slang" may be a bit off, but there you go).

Luminal wrote:
And a second question is: what would the kanji for "testicle sucker" look like? Because it wouldn't surprise me if that was what this person tattoed on her back.

The two kanji are the kanji for "gold" and for "ball, jewel". There are any number of polite kanji combinations that start with the 玉 kanji, although from the way you seem to be thinking about this person, I suspect that the one you saw was 玉門, "ornamented gate", which is a euphemism for the female genitals.

Now, please: Next time you want a question like this answered -- don't start an extremely OT thread in these forums.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
The title of the thread wrote:
Not Anime Related
Need I any more reason?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1