• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime that's so bad, it's good.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I notice a trend on this first page....

Now, unlike the other thread, this is NOT anime bashing. I'm thinking of sort of intentionally cheesy anime, that's just so bad you can't help but enjoy it. Kind of like a "Snakes on a Plane" anime, you know?

A favorite of mine is Ebichu. So irreverent, almost dirty, yet cute and innocent at the same time. The premise is so strange I can't help but like it.

Man, I'm drawing blanks here. Keep the thread open. I know someone will do better than me.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
This thread is better than the last one...

I'll put Duel Master, I don't really understand this show... it's like Yu-Gi-Oh... That did nothing but fight mindlessly... I only watch this show because it's fun to listen to their very very very stupid comments and narration Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop The narrations and comments here surpasses Kyon's (Suzumiya Haruhi) narrations and comments. Every comment and narration here is just stupid I tell you Anime smile + sweatdrop
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass is, for most of its episodes so far, laughable and silly. Sure, there are some occasional bits where the writing is strong with relying on clichés and ridiculous coincidences (last two episodes at least showed some strength), but for the most part it's rather unimpressive from a literary standpoint. It doesn't keep it from being a very amusing guilty pleasure for me, though, so as long as it provides entertainment, I won't hold anything really against it.

Personally I'm amazed at how it's ranked at the twenty-first spot here on ANN and so many anime blogs out there are hailing it as setting the bar high for anime, and how it seems like nothing this season will compare to it. Rolling Eyes But, eh, what can ya do?
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Yu-Gi-Oh GX

It's almost so bad it's bad rather than being good in any way. There are just some parts that I can't help but laugh my ass off too. Like how that Dinosaur Guy (Dingleberry or something) broke his leg on a dig site so they put a dinosaur bone in his leg to fix him. And then he gets dinosaur DNA from it and it makes him super strong. Oh man, I nearly pissed myself sharing that nugget of writing genius with my friends.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Code Geass is, for most of its episodes so far, laughable and silly. Sure, there are some occasional bits where the writing is strong with relying on clichés and ridiculous coincidences (last two episodes at least showed some strength), but for the most part it's rather unimpressive from a literary standpoint. It doesn't keep it from being a very amusing guilty pleasure for me, though, so as long as it provides entertainment, I won't hold anything really against it.

Personally I'm amazed at how it's ranked at the twenty-first spot here on ANN and so many anime blogs out there are hailing it as setting the bar high for anime, and how it seems like nothing this season will compare to it. Rolling Eyes But, eh, what can ya do?

Code Geass REALLY did not live up to hype for me. :/ I found it absolutly boring.
It didn't even keep me interested by being laughable.

On that note, I cant really think of any anime that fall into this catagory except maybe Kimba the White Lion, which I like because its such a landmark in anime, but really, the dialoge is so silly, and the plot and situations are rather ridiculesly lame. But its great. Its SO lame that its AWSOME Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I think Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan deserves a mention this topic. It's extremely stupid and silly. It's also very gory and much of the humor is just so very, very wrong! I found myself thinking many times: "Wow, I can't believe they actually did that." That being said, all of that is what makes it so great in my opinion. It's so wrong, it had to be right. It's one of my absolute favorite anime comedies, as I always get a laugh out of it no matter how many times I watch it.

EDITs: Spelling/grammar. I rephrased and added some things also, but the original point of the post remains intract.

Last edited by Jedi General on Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I think Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan deserves a mention this topic. It's extremely stupid and very, very silly. It's quite ecchi and a lot of the humor is so very, very wrong. That being said, all that is what makes it so great in my opinion. It's so wrong, it had to be right. It's one of my absolute favorite anime comedies, as I always get a laugh out of it no matter how many times I watch it.

My word I have been meaning to watch that for so long >_> The humor looks absolutly freaking HILARIOUS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Beyblade. This show had the stupidest concept of throwing tops into saving the world and a Bit-Beast story that threw it off even more, but the theme-song and the way it plays out with Tyson and friends just pumps me up and gets me into it for some reason. That and when ever they talk, but their face is not on screen they throw out some pretty funny jokes. I don't like the way they made the Beyblades CG in the 2nd and 3rd season though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reno-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! The OVA is the best bad anime I've ever seen. The turtles transform into "Turtle Saints," Splinter can block huge energy blasts, and NASA is portrayed as a bunch of bumbling fools. I found it funnier than most intentional comedy. Very Happy
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Nobody's mentioned Musashi yet? I'm surprised. This is by far the most unintentionally hilarious show I've ever seen. The horrible animation, the cheesy premise, and the, uh... horrible animation... all add up to a fun viewing experience. Perhaps that's why Musashi's Masterpiece ratings outnumber its Worst Ever ratings. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to nominate G Gundam here. I know the series gets a lot of flack from UC fanboys and their ilk, and rightly so if you're looking for a traditional real robot show, but I can't help but love how incredibly awesome the series is. Yes, it's completely insane compared to the other parts of the Gundam universe and pretty much throws all of the serie's conventions out the window. Yes, the whole Street Fighter + Megaman amalgamtion idea sounds incredibly retarded, even on paper. Yes, a lot of the story probably can't be explained logically. But, it presented a wholly unique spin on the Gundam franchise and represented a great throwback to the super robot shows of old, resulting in an experience any super robot fan will love.

Besides, how can you not love Domon and Master Asia's hillariously over-the-top combination attacks?
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Nobody's mentioned Musashi yet? I'm surprised. This is by far the most unintentionally hilarious show I've ever seen. The horrible animation, the cheesy premise, and the, uh... horrible animation... all add up to a fun viewing experience. Perhaps that's why Musashi's Masterpiece ratings outnumber its Worst Ever ratings. Shocked

I agree with you so much Cloe. When I first saw Gundou Musashi, I thought "Wow! This sucks!" But for some reason, I think I'm starting to like it. In fact, I had a dream about Gundou Musashi where it was released in the US. I was at Best Buy and saw the first two volumes of it on the shelf. Also I drew this little piece of work in Musashi's "honor."

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/49916858
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

Seriously. I asserted a simmilar point a while back at AnimeSuki and learned a valuable lesson; do not go into a beehive and kick over the homecomb! Not that I got stung, but my hands did hurt after that squabble. Neutral

Geass is great for Lelouch Lamperouge, C.C., and their relationship ONLY; everything else is a bloody cliche, there's a ton of fanservice and fetishes, and pretty outrageous episode cohesion.

Back to the main point, Higgy and Musashi-Gundoh are two such anime. I thought Hokuto no Ken was pretty awesome but animation-wise it's pretty bad, though there's some "ye olde-tyme" charm to its dated appearence, unlike with Trigun.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Initially, I thought Revolutionary Girl Utena was so off-the-wall terrible it was a joy to watch. Later in the show however I realized just how well-done it was, despite (or because of) its eccentricities...

But in terms of hilariously bad anime, my vote goes out to DNAngel. The dialogue, cheap animation, disturbingly sexual overtones and just the general concept of the show is comedy gold. I find it impossible to believe that there are people out there who could possibly take it seriously.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say Bobobo-Bobo-Bobobo. That series is supposed to be stupid, and it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen because of it. It is a parody, after all.

I also had the mis-pleasure to read the other thread, and I think I have to agree with the One Piece dub being quite laughable. I mean, that's the only reason I watch it in the first place; to make fun of all the silly edits, horrible music and extremely poor voice acting!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2