• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime vs The Fandom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indrik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
You know, there are compromises that are almost necessary for something- anything- to acheive widespread popularity. It's not that much of a stretch to realize that this is the case, decide you don't like the compromises on average, and avoid anything that reaches a certain level of popularity. Going one step further, it's not a stretch at all to think that if a series reaches a certain level of popularity with, say, 13-16 year old girls who like to squee giddily and "glomp" people, it's extremely likely that show's not for me. There are certainly examples (lots of examples) of shows (musical groups, books, movies, carbonated beverages, textile goods) that manage to make these compromises while maintaining some of the qualities that some individuals (ie, me) like. I avoided FMA because the people that I knew that liked it tend to like things I don't, but a friend talked me into watching it, and I ended up liking it. Fine. I still don't like Inu Yasha or Naruto. It's not that I dislike them because of the fan base (although I find Inu Yasha fangirls almost universally obnoxious, and Naruto fanboys to be almost universally deranged and moderately terrifying). I use their fanbases as a metric as to whether I am likely to enjoy the show. I almost always give in, watch an episode or two to see what all the fuss is about, and decide I was right to avoid it in the first place. Just because the show's not for me.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Drowning_Wolf wrote:
Once at school me and one of my friend were discussing about The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, he hated it and I loved it, when suddenly a guy with witch we never talked overheard our conversation and started to bug my friend on how much the show was a complete masterpiece and how much he was closed-minded et cetera, et cetera. It made me quite irritated and I started becoming more and more negative toward the anime, a strange thing since a was once one of the show supporter by excellence. And when the show gained popularity (or when I was aware that it was popular) it became worst, now I can't stand the word Haruhism (it just sound so... ). Still, I like the anime, but I can bring myself to be very enthusiastic over it or to be too positive.

That's kind of my feeling on the whole issue. Fans won't keep me from watching or enjoying a show, but fans will make me overly critical on shows I otherwise highly enjoy because I simply don't feel it's to the standards of the fan's beliefs. I enjoy Haruhi Suzumiya and Death Note, but I'm annoyed at the unbelievable pedestal of quality that the shows are put on, simply because I believe they're only above average shows.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
selenta wrote:
Of course, there are always series like HxH that were simply overshadowed, but these series seem to be far fewer than those that simply didn't deserve to make it to mainstream. Every show has its fans, so if you take two shows of equal fandom, you're just about as likely to be recommended crap as you are to get what you would consider an actual gem.

I'm not talking about shows of equal fandom; I'm talking about shows that run on nationwide television vs. limited art-house runs with virtually no press. Both can lead to good or bad experiences, but I find that I tend to enjoy the obscure more than the routine. Bash me if you must, but I've found a pretty good niche and I'm sticking with it.

Kind of a semantic, but YOU may not be talking about shows of equal fandom, but perhaps you should reread what I wrote, because I was. I was talking about two shows that were unknown to the public eye. The vast majority of the shows that didn't become popular didn't become popular... (and I know this is a shock)... are generally because they weren't as good as the ones that did. So if you pick one randomly (which you're essentially doing when you take just one person's opinion) out of the reject pile , you're probably not going to get a diamond, you're probably going to get a reject (surprise surprise).

Here's the real meat of the argument though:

You can use any method you like to find anime you think you'll like, but the anime should never be judged on anything but its own merits, at least ideally. The method of discovery has no completely logical method, nor does it matter, what matters is how the theory is tested i.e. "is the show any good?"(sound familiar philosophy majors?).

If you think that avoiding popular stuff willl give you shows you like more often, that's fine; but assuming that it's bad because it's popular is an obvious logical fallacy.

To quote abunai, as he said it very well:
abunai wrote:
DO let yourself be guided by other people whose tastes you find similar, in deciding what to watch, especially if it is something that you might otherwise not have watched.

DON'T let yourself be (mis)guided by negative reviews, no matter how much you respect the person making them, into not watching something. Deciding not to watch something colours your general viewing experience even more than the stuff you decide to watch. So if you decide not to watch something, do so after having at least "sniffed the pot". Watch the first episode or two, no matter how bad anyone says it is (yes, that includes me).

You may decide that people are right, and it's crap -- or you may find an overlooked little anime that is just your thing, even though you never would have guessed it from the reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
10円

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Your post is contradictory because you criticize "most" Americans for having "bad tastes" (as if you somehow personally know "most" Americans and what they think) yet you yourself are one of those Americans, so by your logic, you must have "bad taste" as well.

I'm American simply because I was born here, but I don't fit the standard American mold and I don't follow the blind patriotism expected of weak-minded sheep by folks like McCarthy and Cheney. Who better to criticize Americans than a fellow American? Would the words of a Parisian be anywhere near as relevant? Besides, we're not talking about some deep psychological quandary here; we're talking about pop culture. You can follow the Neilson ratings or just turn on any television in the US or go to any mainstream movie. I've been surrounded by American media for the last three decades and the series and movies that get the most attention have almost always been utter crap in my view.

bonbonsrus wrote:
You are a very unique individual...just like everyone else.

I cannot think of one single person who is anything like me, here or anywhere. Perhaps there are millions of people just like me, but I've never bumped into any of them. Even the occasional people who take it upon themselves to PM me with whatever connection they think we share are in reality nothing like me at all. Perhaps you think I'm gloating, but pure uniqueness isn't anything to be terribly proud of and it gives people an excuse to group me in with lowlife trash like Steroid and that guy who thought he was the soul of some DBZ character.

bonbonsrus wrote:
Quote:
You don't need most Americans to chime-in in order for my gauge to work. The more Americans who like something, the more likely I am to hate it, even if I have no idea if a given show is popular or not.
Wow, I read this several times, and I can't understand it at all. If you don't know if something is popular or not, how do you avoid the popular stuff?

It's actually very simple. If a given title is very popular it's typically popular for reasons that do not match up well with what I find appealing. It doesn't matter if I know in advance that it's popular; the result is usually the same.

BankaiSeikei wrote:
The people that avoid popular anime might as well avoid all anime together.

No, I still enjoy anime, but the most popular series tend to disappoint me, no matter how I come across them. I also think that most anime (90%) is crap. I'm a fan of many, many titles, but they're still a very small portion of all anime released.

BankaiSeikei wrote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is to not turn your head or snear something, because it's popular. It's silly, it's like a part of you is rebelling and just doesn't want to "Fit in the man".

It may indeed be silly, but unlike all these parasites that download anime for free, the only person I'm potentially hurting with this habit is me.

Lord Dolmus wrote:
It's not just in anime, it's everywhere, like Magic the Gathering, you wouldn't believe how many haters there are out there, and just because it's popular.

MTG was popular for what it was, but it wasn't the be-all, end-all card game. More people probably know how to play poker and blackjack than MTG, and yet you don’t see too many folks hating on poker players.

selenta wrote:
Kind of a semantic, but YOU may not be talking about shows of equal fandom, but perhaps you should reread what I wrote, because I was.

Then maybe you should have been responding to somebody else's post?

selenta wrote:
I was talking about two shows that were unknown to the public eye. The vast majority of the shows that didn't become popular didn't become popular... (and I know this is a shock)... are generally because they weren't as good as the ones that did.

I'm not talking about the dregs here. The truly mainstream series, especially the ones that even fair weather fans and non-fans are willing to watch on CN et al, tend to leave a lot to be desired in my view.

selenta wrote:
So if you pick one randomly (which you're essentially doing when you take just one person's opinion) out of the reject pile , you're probably not going to get a diamond, you're probably going to get a reject (surprise surprise).

I'm not picking randomly, I'm just avoiding the most popular series. Seems simple enough to me; I'm not sure what the hang up is here.

selenta wrote:
You can use any method you like to find anime you think you'll like, but the anime should never be judged on anything but its own merits, at least ideally.

The only way I can judge every anime on its own merits is to watch every anime. I don't have enough money or free time for that so I have to make some sacrifices along the way to help keep me ahead of the curve. The only titles I can think of which I really, really enjoyed that were also extremely popular are the Miyazaki movies.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
namelissis wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:
okay i have a question.....since when deathnote was popular? some onf you are memtioning that and im like what...i heard of it and seen 3 eps thanks to my bro but i don't run into many people talk about it or carry around the deathnotebook theyre selling.

maybe its because in my area its narutard city.

or maybe its because i pay attention to many different titles.

It was the sh*t here a couple months ago. Now the hype has died down. But yeah, I hadnt heard of it or heard it discussed outside of here.

Oh sorry, viga, I was the one who said, Deathnote... Cause I'm not in America or an American, I don't know what animes there are in the sizzling plate... Here in my place, Deathnote is always the talk of my schoolmates, mostly boys... I just hate it when they make me stop watching Black Cat cause Deathnote is much cooler... As of now, what I still see in Deathnote is that stupid notebook that kills people, "Ooh, how interesting!"(said in sarcasm and yawns)... Deathnote is like the more shounen version of Jigoku Shoujo... I really don't know why it became more popular than Jigoku when in fact Jigoku is more interesting to watch...

Death Note (the manga) was really popular a year or two ago. But then the manga ended and, from what I hear, the second half of the series and the last volume or two in particular were quite a disappointment so the popularity went down.

I'm really not seeing the comparison between Death Note and Jigoku Shoujo as they are fundamentally different. Yes, both involve somone killing people.... just like hundreds of other anime and millions of other titles in various forms of media. But the very basis of the series are very different. Jigoku Shoujo is episodic and focuses on the individuals seeking Jigoku Shoujo's power to get them out of their situation and probably more on JG and her team in later episodes. I suppose there is some philosophy and morality on various things in there as well (or at least the potential for it), but I can't say too much on that as I only saw the first ten episodes of the first season. I would say it is similar to Requiem from the Darkness more than anything else.

Death Note on the other hand, focuses on a boy who gets the power to kill simply by writing down a persons name (and details if he desires) and develops a god complex and engages in a battle of wits (mental jousting, if you will) with people trying to figure out who he is and put him behind bars for mass murder. I'm at a loss for anything that it really compares to.

My point is that they are fundamentally different to the point that they are no more comparable to each other than Rurouni Kenshin and Ninja Scroll. They both samurai, but that's about it.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
selenta wrote:
Kind of a semantic, but YOU may not be talking about shows of equal fandom, but perhaps you should reread what I wrote, because I was.

Then maybe you should have been responding to somebody else's post?

I didn't feel the need to address anyone else's posts. I only mentioned it because I was already going to say something. As such: you're really stretching it this time dax, how about actually reading what I write and address the things I bring up without putting words in my mouth.

10円 wrote:
selenta wrote:
I was talking about two shows that were unknown to the public eye. The vast majority of the shows that didn't become popular didn't become popular... (and I know this is a shock)... are generally because they weren't as good as the ones that did.

I'm not talking about the dregs here. The truly mainstream series, especially the ones that even fair weather fans and non-fans are willing to watch on CN et al, tend to leave a lot to be desired in my view.

Perhaps you should read what I write before you respond, or you're just going to be begging to get your posts deleted for trolling. They leave a lot to be desired? That's fine, but you're completely ignoring what I'm saying. I never even said they were the dregs, I simply said they're "not as good", you're twisting my words, again.

10円 wrote:
selenta wrote:
So if you pick one randomly (which you're essentially doing when you take just one person's opinion) out of the reject pile , you're probably not going to get a diamond, you're probably going to get a reject (surprise surprise).

I'm not picking randomly, I'm just avoiding the most popular series. Seems simple enough to me; I'm not sure what the hang up is here.

I just explained this... I'll do it one last time for you. Assuming that you're choosing shows because they're not popular, nearly all the shows are going to have a roughly equal (small) fanbase. If you choose one person, and get a recomendation from them, that is essentially random, as anyone is a fan of one of these cult shows for any of a number of reasons. As I said, it doesn't make it a bad way to go, but it is random, and to claim otherwise just shows how far you're going out of your way to disagree this time.

10円 wrote:
selenta wrote:
You can use any method you like to find anime you think you'll like, but the anime should never be judged on anything but its own merits, at least ideally.

The only way I can judge every anime on its own merits is to watch every anime. I don't have enough money or free time for that so I have to make some sacrifices along the way to help keep me ahead of the curve.

Uh... who said anything about having to watch every anime? Do you even read what people write? Or do you just always feel the need to disagree with popular opinion on everything just because it's the most popular or accepted opinion? Well, congratulations, you're a rebel. Now you can go shop at Hot Topic and wear your girls pants Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
10円

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
I'm not twisting your words and I don't really care what you think anyway. I'm bailing on our little conversation now as I see no point in discussing anything with somebody who's apparently willing to try and bait me into a ban.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quote
I'm one of those people who watch animes because I WANT TO WATCH and not because of other people.

So I don't watch naruto, DBZ and many other popular animes. I don't watch them because I have my reasons, mostly because I don't like the drawing style of Naruto and DBZ because it's not for me.. Also, these animes are just too long..
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
I'm only "threatening" to do my job as a moderator by disciplining people who don't follow the rules.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote
I dont see any reason to Aviod Anime just cause of the Fandom associated with it. Then again perhaps thats easy for me to say. i dont know any other fans IRL so im never really judged or have to justify my choice of Anime by RL people and really, who cares if some dude on a forum thinks Im a Narutard /=

Still though, If I like an Anime, I'll watch it. For instance, Naruto. I've been watching it and its not bad once you get past the filler episodes and onto some of the better arcs. I started watching it because it sounded mildly interesting. I dont care what fandom might be associated with it.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Perhaps you think I'm gloating, but pure uniqueness isn't anything to be terribly proud of and it gives people an excuse to group me in with lowlife trash like Steroid and that guy who thought he was the soul of some DBZ character.
Ok, so first you say that anything popular is bad, but now you're saying that being unique isn't anything to be proud of? Are you being serious here or do you just like to hear yourself talk?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
10円

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
10円 wrote:
Perhaps you think I'm gloating, but pure uniqueness isn't anything to be terribly proud of and it gives people an excuse to group me in with lowlife trash like Steroid and that guy who thought he was the soul of some DBZ character.
Ok, so first you say that anything popular is bad, but now you're saying that being unique isn't anything to be proud of? Are you being serious here or do you just like to hear yourself talk?

1. The more popular mainstream anime out there (DBZ, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, InuYasha, etc.) have been flat-out terrible in my view.
2. Being exceptionally unique is neither especially good nor especially bad in-and-of itself.
3. Asking people if they like to hear themselves talk is a pointless question, but considering the source...
Lord Dolmus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As of now, what I still see in Deathnote is that stupid notebook that kills people, "Ooh, how interesting!"(said in sarcasm and yawns)...

Lol. So Death Note is about a notebook that kills people? So none of the characters like Light, L, Misa, Ryukk, and Rem have anything to do with it, it's all the notebook? I'm not trying to flame you but Death Note is for people 16 and older so do some growin and try to watch it again in a few years, you'll love it.

Also nobody quote me on the 16 and older comment, it's just an example so don't take it seriously.
Dardre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dolmus wrote:
Quote:
As of now, what I still see in Deathnote is that stupid notebook that kills people, "Ooh, how interesting!"(said in sarcasm and yawns)...

Lol. So Death Note is about a notebook that kills people? So none of the characters like Light, L, Misa, Ryukk, and Rem have anything to do with it, it's all the notebook? I'm not trying to flame you but Death Note is for people 16 and older so do some growin and try to watch it again in a few years, you'll love it.

Also nobody quote me on the 16 and older comment, it's just an example so don't take it seriously.

Please tell me this was sarcastic. If not, then it's exactly the kind of thing that turns me away from a particular series. In my experience, I've found that when a large number of fans talk about how great a series is, and that I'll love that series if I'd just watch it, it usually turns out that I won't love it; might like it, but not love it.

For me, I avoid many of those series that have the 'tard fans. It's not so much because the series might be bad, but because I have the vague worry that after I watch it, I'll start acting like that. After all, they watched it, and look at how they act now Shocked I have seen Naruto and Bleach, and while I like them well enough, I've thankfully avoided 'tardism'. But even with that experience, I'm still cautious about series and genre that have such....loud...fans.

On a related note, I'm ambivalent about those shows fans, and others, hype. I've actually gotten odd looks at my local Suncoast when, after the employee rang me up and saw that I was an anime fan, he mentioned the Cowboy Bebop movie was coming out soon and I told him I had no interest in it. He looked like I had just killed his cat right in front of him. It just seems to me that all to many fans can't understand that not everyone likes what they do. I couldn't care less about FMA or Deathnote, or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's not that they are in genre that I dislike, it's just they don't appeal to me. So when I read about things like 'the long awaited release of such-and-such a series' I usually just shrug and think I'll check it out a few months after it comes out, maybe.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dolmus wrote:
Quote:

So if someone doesn't like Death Note, it's because they're just not old enough to understand it? And once they reach 16 it will instantly become a series they love? Rolling Eyes Like Dardre, I too hope you're being sarcastic. If not, I suggest reading this thread again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5