• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-03-16]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat_payne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:

As an anime fan, it's really annoying to listen to someone who is obviously reading lines off a page; or someone who over-enunciates their words like some over-zealous radio announcer; or someone who can only do the one same, distinctive voice.

That is the $64 skill that many dub actors lack. I love the dub cast for Cowboy Bebop, because they actually can act. They know their stuff. In the same vein, I actually enjoy Vic Mignogna's dub work for Macross (and I was apprehensive about it at first because of the history of dubbing Macross -- the "Robotech" dub and the HK dub of DYRL having little to recommend them) because he knows how to act. Having been in drama classes before, I know it's not easy to get those sorts of skills.

Quote:
My plea to all of these would-be voice actors? ACT!!! Keep in mind that your voice has to convey ALL of the emotion. Use all of the textures and tones and nuances available to the human voice to create a convincing character. Listen to how real people talk -- for example, do people in regular conversation enunciate everything with perfect clarity?

Can I get an "Amen?" Smile

Quote:
As I write this though, I'm also wondering how much of my complaint rests on the shoulders of the dubbing directors, in addition to the actual voice actors? Apparently these hacks are passing muster somehow, and on someone's authority, so maybe my beef lies with them, too. Hmmm...

I agree with that, going back to the Macross dub. Mari Iijima, in the interviews in the extras, sounded a lot more fluent and natural with English than she did as Minmay, and I think that the director should have worked with her a lot more to help smooth problems with her accent a bit, to get that kind of naturalness she showed speaking extemporaneously.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Quote:
Kare Kano was edited on dvd here? ??? are you sure?

Yeah, spoiler[the sex scene in ep 18 is slightly more graphic] in the original, the version released in america was edited for TV. Look it up on Youtube if you want to see it uncut.

Okay, I'm a little late to the party (I read the first few pages and didn't see any interesting discussions starting and then I saw that Steroid had posted and had to see what he was up to now), but I wanted to address this:

I may be mistaken, but if I recall correctly, it is not edited in the typical sense but rather, RightStuf was given the broadcast version of the show in which said scene was censored. In other words, it is the version originally shown on Japanese TV. It is still RightStuf's fault, to an extent, for not knowing about it and making sure they got the DVD version, but they didn't actively edit it out. I'm not saying that you said they did, but I wanted to clarify this.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
JKNGP wrote:
Hi folks,

My name is Jonathan Klein, and some of you might know me, others may not. For those who don't, I co-own a little company called New Generation Pictures which produces dubs & subs of anime releases. If you want to know more about my company and what we've done, just look up meor my company on the ANN encyclopedia.
(Added links for convenience.)

Well, I don't know if being at NGP's panel at Akon 2006 and asking you about Niea_7 counts as "knowing" you, but it's always nice to see anyone from the industry step into the war zone that these forums sometimes become. And coincidentally, I've got a lots of respect for NGP's work on such series as Kamichu!, R.O.D. The TV, Paranoia Agent, Texhnolyze, Haibane Renmei, and even such "low-brow" series as Ikki Tousen. And what little I've seen of the Girls Bravo dub is a great example of creative work by the whole ADR team (direction, writing, and action) to make a series better and funnier.

While I'm more or less a purist in that I watch a lot of anime in Japanese with subtitles and want things close to the original, I still give English dubs a fair chance, especially on rewatches. I find that most are of reasonable quality, some are exceptional, others could use some improvement, and once in awhile a true stinker comes along. As long as directors/scriptwriters/VAs make some effort to understand the background of the show & the characters, take enough cues from the Japanese performance to preserve the nature of the character, and make some effort to get name pronunciations right, I'll probably be satisfied with a dubbing effort. (The name thing is almost a regional issue--the LA studios like Bang Zoom and NGP do a pretty good job with it imo, while the Texas ones for ADV and Funimation tend to play fast-and-loose. The Canada and NY studios fall somewhere in the middle on that spectrum.)

Given the number of people who've warned Mr. Klein about steroid. I think it's clear that we already know where his viewpoints and philosophies lie, and the unlikeliness that he'll change those views based on posts in these threads. I'm not going to lock this or anything just because of any derailment steroid may have caused, but a bunch of posts by other users bashing steroid don't contribute very much, either.

The one thing I will say on the deceased-equine "support or not support" issue is that it's not hard to see why English dubs cater to the "silent majority" masses of casual fans. I've seen other mega-hardcore fans espouse similar views to what steroid has: that localization companies "water down" anime too much to reach mass audiences and thus their products aren't worth buying, especially not when readily-available fansubs meet their needs. So to sell product, they have to market to the casual fans who go into stores and buy anime, not the hardcore fans who use the mouse-click discount.

(To clarify, not every hardcore fan is a hardcore pirate; but you can bet that almost any hardcore pirate is a hardcore fan. "Pirate" in the digital/online sense of course.)
bluepita

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I thought the policies here were to attack the idea or statement not the person. Though I don't agree with many thing Steriod has said, I find the way people have spoken of him here to be just as distasteful.

The overly enthusiastic yaoi fan girls whoj talk about learning gay rights from anime are so sad. Not the girls who are exposed to gay relationships there and go on to do real research, but those described in the column. Don't they realize that what they do is just as bad as what they argue against? You can't be upset about people discriminating against gays when you are turning them from people into objects (as has been said here mayn times, I guess). Hmm, better let this one go. Anyone who has that little sense is hardly worth getting annoyed over.
Dardre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:

On to the actual point: I agree that there are some very talented American voice actors out there, but I would also say that there are more who are...not so talented. I understand that these actors are under a different set of constraints than their Japanese counterparts (translation issues, lip flap issues, etc.), but even so, there is a certain amount of emotion and feeling that they need to convey; a difficult job that requires much skill, assuredly, but it is a skill that is fundamental for dubbing. As an anime fan, it's really annoying to listen to someone who is obviously reading lines off a page; or someone who over-enunciates their words like some over-zealous radio announcer; or someone who can only do the one same, distinctive voice.

My plea to all of these would-be voice actors? ACT!!! Keep in mind that your voice has to convey ALL of the emotion. Use all of the textures and tones and nuances available to the human voice to create a convincing character. Listen to how real people talk -- for example, do people in regular conversation enunciate everything with perfect clarity? Of course not; they drop certain endings of words, shorten vowels, lengthen others, make other verbal sounds that aren't actually words, etc. Granted, each character should have his or her own distinct vocal characteristics (i.e. some may have more proper speech patterns than others), but make your performance sound like a real live person (or alien or animal or robot, whatever the case may be) instead of just words on a page. Anime isn't a detergent commercial. Rolling Eyes

*sigh* Ok, this is actually making me tired so I'm going to be blunt. Which dubs do you think the voice actor is just 'reading lines off a page'? Give me specifics, not generalities. Yes, yes I'm aware that many feel that Naruto and OP have bad dubs, but that's only two series out of...how many released in the last year alone? The only reason most even noticed the two mentioned was because they had a fanatical fanbase who happened to be very vocal. Frankly, considering Naruto is being released on DVD with both audio tracks, the whole thing feels like people making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Just to put my money where my mouth is, I'm going to list those series I felt had at least a solid dub, and many of them had ones I consider quite good. Ahem. Rah Xephon, Escalflowne the Movie, Dual!, Full Metal Panic, Nadesico, Hand-Maid May, Noir, Princess Nine, Onegai Teacher, Haibane Renmei, Boogiepop Phantom, Chobits, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Saikano, Last Exile, Vandread, Ai Yori Aoshi, Elfen Lied, His and Her Circumstances, Hellsing, R.O.D TV, Steel Angel Kurumi, Trigun, Azumanga Daioh...*finally takes a breath* Whew Smile And those are just the ones in my collection that I can see from my desk. All of them have dubs that I enjoy and thought were, at least, decent. Some, like GitS, Rah Xephon, and Full Metal Panic (as well as a great many more) I thought were great. Those three in particular I would say I like the American dub more than the Japanese.

Are these just aberations, like many sub-fanatics claim? Or are they instead representatives of the way American dubbing has improved by leaps and bounds since the sadly pitiful efforts of the past decades? Rather than lump all or most dubs in a single pile and call them 'bad', give me some examples.
TheVok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is this: If we want Dubs to ever improve we have to support them. If we demand direct translation Dubs with no creativity, its never going to attract better VAs. If we give Dubs a chance, the industry will grow and the quality of VAs and Dubs will improve over time.

But dubs are already given an overwhelming 'chance' in the market, compared to subs.

TV airs dubs.

Legit streaming features dubs.

Movie theatres sometimes feature only dubs (e.g. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away).

If dubbing needs to improve, there are already market forces to move it that way. By contrast, the market does not favour subtitles.
TheVok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
When you say "Why omit [the good Japanese performances] by dubbing over them," it doesn't come across as championing one choice over the other--it comes across as not wanting to have the choice exist in the first place. The broadcasters who are airing the dubs are not the ones who are "dubbing over" them, and the context of the discussion (including your post) has been on the production side, not the broadcast side. Sorry if the way it came across isn't the way it was intended, but I can't read that question as saying anything but "Why even make dubs?"

I never said anything to the effect that I don't want consumers to have a choice. On the contrary, I said they should ... including within media like TV. But they don't. They're stuck with dubs.

Yeah, on personal level, I do often wonder, "why even make dubs?" But that's just because dubbing is inherently so much more flawed a process than subtitling, as discussed in my earlier posts. It seems like a lot more work for a lot less effectiveness. You hire a bunch of actors and wind up with something laughable.

But I can step back from that and understand there are a lot of fans of dubbing and I wholly support a market built on choice. DVDs are excellent and I have no complaints about them, but individual releases are not reaching as many potential viewers as TV channels like Cartoon Network and YTV can.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I thought the policies here were to attack the idea or statement not the person. Though I don't agree with many thing Steriod has said, I find the way people have spoken of him here to be just as distasteful.

Alright, fair enough. It is really fairly off topic anyways, people have been venting their frustrations regarding him but enough is enough. My only initial intent was to let Jon know what he was dealing with, the last thing I want is for Studio Reps to come here and face such a barrage. You're right however and at this point I think the discussion regarding Steroid and his motivations should be closed, let's keep this on topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dardre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
Strephon wrote:
When you say "Why omit [the good Japanese performances] by dubbing over them," it doesn't come across as championing one choice over the other--it comes across as not wanting to have the choice exist in the first place. The broadcasters who are airing the dubs are not the ones who are "dubbing over" them, and the context of the discussion (including your post) has been on the production side, not the broadcast side. Sorry if the way it came across isn't the way it was intended, but I can't read that question as saying anything but "Why even make dubs?"

I never said anything to the effect that I don't want consumers to have a choice. On the contrary, I said they should ... including within media like TV. But they don't. They're stuck with dubs.

Yeah, on personal level, I do often wonder, "why even make dubs?" But that's just because dubbing is inherently so much more flawed a process than subtitling, as discussed in my earlier posts. It seems like a lot more work for a lot less effectiveness. You hire a bunch of actors and wind up with something laughable.

But I can step back from that and understand there are a lot of fans of dubbing and I wholly support a market built on choice. DVDs are excellent and I have no complaints about them, but individual releases are not reaching as many potential viewers as TV channels like Cartoon Network and YTV can.

My question for you is just how will CN and YTV do this? Show the American dub in one time slot and the Japanese in another? Perhaps the dub in the afternoon/evening and the sub at night? But then there will still be people who will be forced to watch the show in a form that they don't want. It's a nice, but ultimately unrealistic, dream. Why? I'll explain:

Fact: The United States is an English speaking country.
Fact: There are more casual watchers of anime than hard-core fans who prefer the Japanese audio.
Fact: CN and YTV depend on advertisers buying slots in order to make money, both profit and to pay for their over-head costs of airing shows.
Fact: The more ratings a show has the more CN and YTV can charge advertisers for the slots those companies want to place their ads in.
Fact: Current technology does not allow stations like CN and YTV to broadcast a show with two different audio tracks at the same time on the same channel. TV/Cable/Sat. is not like a DVD player that, with the press of a single button, a viewer can switch from one audio track to the next.
Fact: Both CN and YTV are for-profit companies. That means that there must be a sizable demand that they can present to potential advertisers before they will be willing to take a chance of losing money by airing subtitled shows.

TV/Cable/Sat has always been a case of 'majority rules'; ratings determine whether a show continues or is canceled. There have been national TV stations in the past that have tried to air a subtitled show, and as far as I know, none of them succeeded; ratings dropped like a rock and the stations were flooded with complaints about how those watching 'didn't want to read TV' and the like. There are simply not enough sub fans for a company like CN to take a chance on something like this.

While I would love to see subtitled anime on TV, I'm also fully aware that there is simply not enough people out there that would also like that. Rather than rant and rave at the unfairness of it all, I'm just grateful that there are stations airing anime at all. Take what you can get, because sometimes that's all you're going to get.
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
One thing that we could possible note about dub and sub tracks appearing on TV in the future is the forcible transfer to "All-digital" networks on February 17, 2009. With the switch to digital networks I would assume it would be easier to apply a "dual-audio" selection to the broadcast in question, eliminating some of the issues at hand. However, this sort of thing would probably still be expensive, and would probably not benefit the distributors (as TV anime airings do not really do so right now).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:45 pm Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:
frouella wrote:

As an anime fan, it's really annoying to listen to someone who is obviously reading lines off a page; or someone who over-enunciates their words like some over-zealous radio announcer; or someone who can only do the one same, distinctive voice.

That is the $64 skill that many dub actors lack. I love the dub cast for Cowboy Bebop, because they actually can act. They know their stuff. In the same vein, I actually enjoy Vic Mignogna's dub work for Macross (and I was apprehensive about it at first because of the history of dubbing Macross -- the "Robotech" dub and the HK dub of DYRL having little to recommend them) because he knows how to act. Having been in drama classes before, I know it's not easy to get those sorts of skills.
Quote:
As I write this though, I'm also wondering how much of my complaint rests on the shoulders of the dubbing directors, in addition to the actual voice actors? Apparently these hacks are passing muster somehow, and on someone's authority, so maybe my beef lies with them, too. Hmmm...

I agree with that, going back to the Macross dub. Mari Iijima, in the interviews in the extras, sounded a lot more fluent and natural with English than she did as Minmay, and I think that the director should have worked with her a lot more to help smooth problems with her accent a bit, to get that kind of naturalness she showed speaking extemporaneously.

As somone who religiously watched the interviews with the Japanese cast as often as the American companies will include them--quess what.
The Japanese are reading off a script. Many admit to not even looking at it until that day or maybe the night before they'll read thru it. Koyasu, Miki, Yamaguchi-all have scripts, turning pages, reading their lines.
This isn't stage acting. They don't bother to memorize their lines. They ad-lib like crazy because they've been typcast so many times they can throw out standard lines in their sleep. In the artbook interview it is mentioned Kappei Yamaguchi apparently kept screwing up & calling Kikyo Akane because she was played by the same VA, but he was the only VA Takahashi asked for.

Come on. If my 46 yr-old eyes can read subtitles & hear the cadence of the voices & see the characters moving, everyone here has to have noticed the Japanese actors don't particularly pay attention to lipflaps. They obviously care more about the lines they are saying & the emotions portrayed, because I've seen just about all of them start before or after the animated lips get going. It's Americans that are obsessed with lipflaps.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is this: If we want Dubs to ever improve we have to support them. If we demand direct translation Dubs with no creativity, its never going to attract better VAs. If we give Dubs a chance, the industry will grow and the quality of VAs and Dubs will improve over time.

But dubs are already given an overwhelming 'chance' in the market, compared to subs.

TV airs dubs.

Legit streaming features dubs.

Movie theatres sometimes feature only dubs (e.g. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away).

If dubbing needs to improve, there are already market forces to move it that way. By contrast, the market does not favour subtitles.

But TV Anime is hardly the main place Anime is watched, especially among dedicated fans. Not to mention whenever TV airs Dubs, all alot of ya do is bitch about it. Plus, its not so much that more dubs need to be out there. its that people need to stop whining about them. The more people prefer their Anime dubbed, the more incentive there is for companies to do a better job Dubbing.
10円

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
To clarify, not every hardcore fan is a hardcore pirate; but you can bet that almost any hardcore pirate is a hardcore fan. "Pirate" in the digital/online sense of course.

That's almost like claiming a carjacker is a "hardcore automobile enthusiast." Being a hardcore pirate does NOT make you a hardcore fan, it makes you a hardcore leech, and the sooner people stop trying to propagate this sort of illogical nonsense the better.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
To clarify, not every hardcore fan is a hardcore pirate; but you can bet that almost any hardcore pirate is a hardcore fan. "Pirate" in the digital/online sense of course.

That's almost like claiming a carjacker is a "hardcore automobile enthusiast." Being a hardcore pirate does NOT make you a hardcore fan, it makes you a hardcore leech, and the sooner people stop trying to propagate this sort of illogical nonsense the better.

I actually dissagree here. Its nothing like your example. Being a hardcore pirate mostlikely does make you a hardcore fan even though it also makes you a hardcore leech. Actually, its not so much that it MAKES you a hardcore fan, its just that it mostlikely indicates you are. If youre a hardcore pirate, you download and watch ALOT of Anime. If you watch alot of anime youre mostlikely a hardcore fan.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:08 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Here here! I couldn't have said it better myself.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 19