• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Kingdoms' Heart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
infinitebeauty wrote:

(The Magician's Nephew is my favorite Narnia book. Does that make me strange?)

No it doesn't, it's just the Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe is the most popular one over all. Doesn't hurt to like other things

Haha I have "Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga". I was difficult for me to find, but luckily Barnes and Nobles order lets you have in store shipping.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Damn, whole lotta good stuff this week. I'm glad to see someone else who didn't automatically praise "To Terra" as a flawless masterpiece just because its from a 49er, though I completely agree with your assessment of its many strengths. Awesome to see "Monkey" getting respect after years lurking in obscurity (the subliminal message chapter was just brilliant).

Quote:

LOL yah, can we just write her out of the story? She is stealing the innocence of my precious kids. Laughing (And her shady boyfriend is even worse.)

That elevator scene was pretty damn creepy, though in an awkwardly funny kind of way. Overall the whole "The kids JUST HAPPEN to meet a transexual adult that teaches them the ways of the world" thing felt a bit forced, but the characters (the main ones that is) and Shimura's writing are great enough to ignore those two.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Tokyopop's release of "Crest of the Stars" novels have been identified as abridgements, and I don't like the idea of buying novels where information is potentially left out to shorten the story.

Can you quote a source on this? I have not heard anything of the sort, and the anime follows the first two novels pretty darn closely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
arxane wrote:
Tokyopop's release of "Crest of the Stars" novels have been identified as abridgements, and I don't like the idea of buying novels where information is potentially left out to shorten the story.

Can you quote a source on this? I have not heard anything of the sort, and the anime follows the first two novels pretty darn closely.

Novel 2:A Modest War

I'm still trying to find where the thread for the first novel went. I'll post it when I find it.

However, Crest of the Stars seems to be an anomaly and they seem to be doing fine with their Pop Fiction line, as far as I know.
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
arxane wrote:

I got it from this thread over at the AoD forums. The fella there says that Tokyopop's release of the two Seikai novels are slightly shortened versions of themselves. Since I don't have the original Japanese novels and can't read Japanese that well, I can't personally confirm this, but there seems to be enough to suggest that the Seikai novels were slightly abridged.
Anrui Ukimi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
The only thing that amuses me about the review of the Twelve Kingdoms is that this was not the first Juuni Kokki book. I believe it was the second. Mashou no Ko was definately the first, focusing on Taiki. Smile

Twelve Kingdoms is in my top 3 animes ever list, and I've been waiting for years to read official translations of the novels. Smile

Thanks a lot for acknowleging it!

~Anrui
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Stullz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
OK, time for my 2cents on Negima!

I absolutely love the story. The whole fight and festival arcs are actually supposed to be major arcs and will come clear later on, everything is being meticulously laid out as far as the story goes. I think the problem is that many of the reviews I have read view these as minor points but they are in fact much more important. Also, Akamatsu's style in this volume was a little over the top, however he has always been know to pack more into his pages than other mangakas, and to me that ups the value of his works. If i'm paying $10-14 for a manga like Basilisk or Suzuka that has a read time of say 30 minutes, Negima (and Love HIna for that matter) will take an average of 15 minutes m ore because it has more content.

now ending my defense of Negima!
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Anrui Ukimi wrote:
The only thing that amuses me about the review of the Twelve Kingdoms is that this was not the first Juuni Kokki book. I believe it was the second. Mashou no Ko was definately the first, focusing on Taiki. Smile
~Anrui

This is a common misconception.
Masho no Ko is not part of the Twelve Kingdoms series. It is a horror novel written for a different publisher before the Twelve Kingdoms series was even conceived.
But when she started work on Twelve Kingdoms, she went back to some of the ideas she'd used near the end of Masho no Ko, and spun that material off into it's own series.
Would it be nice to have it translated too? Sure. But releasing a very, very slow horror novel as the first book in a fantasy series it wasn't even meant to launch doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I also have a bone to pick with the theory that Japanese requires a telegraphic style -- like any language, all styles are possible. Boogiepop certainly was written in a minimal, telegraphic style. Most light novels are. Kino no Tabi is a little more poetic, but basically still the same short paragraphs and simple vocabulary.
Twelve Kingdoms and Crest of the Stars are written in a much more dense style, but plainly -- they take much more time to read than Boogiepop, but the style is not flashy or attention getting.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, since I've read the scanlations of Negima up to the end of the festival's end, I can see why everything has happened. From volume 14 and after is when it gets rather intense, philosophical, and more action-y.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
With Negima I just can't get past the concept of a 10-year-old boy, born and raised in Wales, teaching English in a Japanese all girls school and having a Japanese name. That's just too far fetched for me to even bother with the rest of the story, no mater how good it might be, and the fact that it's a harum series causes even more resistance to me bothering. Finally Finds his father... let me guess, at the Market Café in Haverford West? Blooty 'ell boyo! Wha time you call this? where you bloody well been then? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3