• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
stuff missing

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mihoshidragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Im sorry for keep buging you guys I just half to find a Anime series that you dont have so I can prove myself to work for you in the forture......I pray.Anyway here it is in the S section
you guys have She and Her Cat (OAV) as a five min but theres 3 difrent version of it that are difrent times ill watch it again later to tell you and it has been released in the U.S. but in Japanese.It comes with Voice of a Distant Star.Thiers also more Sonic series all you have is Sonic X and Sonic the Hedgehog the movie.The series are Sonic the Hedgehog,The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog,and Sonic Underground.witch i know at least one of these was on ABC a long time ago.Sorry about the spelling i will use spell check in the forture when im working for you.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:52 pm Reply with quote
mihoshidragon wrote:
The series are Sonic the Hedgehog,The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog,and Sonic Underground.

Sonic the Hedgehog was domestically produced, and ran on ABC back in the day. It's actually a domestic series that had a vaguely continuing storyline. It was animated by DiC. (this was the one with the mecha-rabbit girl, and the animals in the forest fighting a resistance war against Robotnik. I still say it was a good TV series!)

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was a travesty to all forms of animation. It was gaudy and irresponsible, a complete waste of 30 minutes of TV air time that could've better been filled by an infomercial. It was another series by DiC. (This one had sonic and tails doing stupid things over and over. It also had a giant robot chicken, iirc.)

Sonic Underground was yet another domestic show, one with a vaguely continuing plot. It was also animated by (you guessed it) DiC... (I never saw this, so I can't say anything bad about it.. but it looks pretty bad from what i can see. i'm sure someone else can tear it to pieces too..)

sorry; none of these three are anime or really anime-related.. it'd be a far stretch to put them in the Encyclopedia, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mihoshidragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:56 am Reply with quote
Then why would you consider Sonic X and Sonic the movie to be Anime but not those and why would you cares if their made by DIC disney made some,well not made but you know.I still would think it would be.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:20 am Reply with quote
mihoshidragon wrote:
Then why would you consider Sonic X and Sonic the movie to be Anime but not those and why would you cares if their made by DIC disney made some,well not made but you know.I still would think it would be.

The encyclopedia exists specifically to cater to -anime-.. but what determines what is and isn't anime is rather hard to define.

Nelvana, for example, is traditionally considered "Canadian", given that they're based in Canada. Likewise, Disney (although they had an animation studio in Tokyo) is traditionally considered "American".

Sonic X was produced by Tokyo Movie Shinsha, and Sonic the Movie was done by Taki Corp. Both are based in Japan, and so most people would consider them "Japanese".

And BECAUSE they are "Japanese" productions, we include them in the encyclopedia.

When animation is done primarily by Canadians, and the staff is Canadian/American, with few or no Japanese names in the credits, it becomes harder to justify the animation as _really_ being "anime", because it lacks that Japanese connection..

We include co-productions where it's clear that Japanese staff weren't simply given a set of character designs and told to animate them.. it's for that reason that we don't include Transformers the TV series, but do include the movie.. and for this same reason we don't include Little Nemo (although I need to watch that again and check the credit list to make sure it's significantly different from the Transformers Movie)...

There's no precise definition of what goes into the encyclopedia and what does not.. but unless we want _ALL_ animation in the encyclopedia, we eventually have to set down limits to what we will include.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1