• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Interests BESIDES Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:52 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
What? I didn't know Guererro died Shocked. I was a big fan of his. I used to watch pro wrestling a lot until they changed their name from WWF to WWE. Man, I would never've known until I saw your post. I was like "Eddie? Guererro?" He looked to be in such good health when I last saw him Crying or Very sad.

You really didn't know until now? It's been over a year: Nov 13, 2005. Died from heart failure, most likely due to his years of drug and alcohol abuse. Truly shocking news, I remember watching him many times when I was into the WWF (after it became the WWE I lost interest, especially after Stone Cold left, he was my favorite).

I was seriously down when I heard he died. I was a big watcher until a few months before he died when I stopped because a lot of my favorite wrestlers weren't there and the ones there didn't really get to me as much and WWE was annoying me, I want WWF back!! But when I heard he died, I watched the episode where the basically tributed his awesomness. Haven't really watched since though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
DaZ616

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote
I have alot of other interest besides anime.

Sport:

-Basketball: i play alot of basketball with all my friends. When ever my friends and i are bored, we go to a local park and start dunking some hoops Very Happy Sometimes we enter small competitions at local clubs but unfortunately, haven't won any prizes. Since i live in Australia, i do tend to watch the NBA but its hard for me to watch some games because i dont have cable tv.

-Soccer/FootBall: Again, i play alot of Soccer with my friends. I used to play soccer when i was 6 yrs old for my school. I love watching the priemere league in England. My favourite team is Manchester United

-NRL (National Rugby League): NRL, not NFL. IMO NRL is more fun and tougher to play. I play alot of NRL at school whenever we have Recess or lunch. I support the team St George Llawara Dragons. Since some of you are familar with NFL, for more info about NRL go to the following link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rugby_League

-Cricket: Being an AUstralian, you gotta Love Cricket Very Happy I played Cricket for 2 seasons for my local team during 2003-2005. I was awarded the best fielder and most improved in the first season and we came the runner up to the comp. In the 2nd season, our team just flopped- and recieved the wooden spoon.

-Kendo (Kumdo): I started Kendo about last year, after i finished Cricket. My friend introduced me to it. It looked pretty interesting so i decided to learn. Now, i am graded 6th kyu. I think i mite continue kendo cause im doing pretty good at it. and FYI, i didn't decide to join kendo because of anime influences. I decided to join because i wanted to do a martial art sport and kendo or sword fighting was appealing to me.

-Tennis: I took interest into tennis back in year 3 at school. i started having lessions for about 6 months then i quit because i had to move to Sydney (before sydney i lived in Kiama, kind of a coastal suburb. I love watching tennis on Tv. Roder Federer is my fav tennis player.

-Table tennis: After watching the 2000 Olympics in Syndey, table tennis wowed me with the intensity and with all those spins the players can put on the ball. So i played table tennis in school for sport and till this very day, play it often with friends.

-AFL(Australian football league): is another sport that interest me. again, i do play it often with friends at school and at parties or whenever we go to the park. I support the team Sydney Swans. AFL is pretty popular in australia and being Australian, cant help but like it Very Happy

-Working out: i also workout to improve my fitness and improve my stamina to play the sports i listed above.

Music:

-Utada Hikaru is my favourite singer at the moment along with other artists such as Nelly Furtado, Akon, Eminem, Black eye peas. I love listening to music. Everyday, i listen to hours of music. Everytime i go driving, i need to have music on or the radio on Very Happy I love all sorts of genres of music such as J-pop, Chinese, pop, hip-hop, blues, rock, classical, electrical, experimental and much more.

Cars:
-I love cars like Silvia S-15(spec R) and 350z's. And liking cars also means i like drifting. Drifting took my interest when i started to play Initial D version 3 in the arcades, Hence my Avatar Cool

Video Games:
-I am a very passionate video gamer Laughing
I have consoles like PSX, PS2, PSP,PS3, PC, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advanced plus many more. Since My mum owns a Internet cafe, i play alot of FPS like CS(counter strike) and strategic games like Warcraft 3, CQC etc etc.

I have about 20 PSX games. I have about 40 PS2 games. My fav series are the Final fantasy series and the MGS (metal gear solid) series. I have all the FF games on PSX and PS2 and i have all the MGS series on GBoy and PS2. I like also playing fighting games such as Tekken 5. I have about 5 PS3 games, unfortunately, not much games are released on the PS3 yet.

I have about 4 PCs at home, so when ever my friends come over to my place, we can play Lan CS or Warcraft 3 or what ever games. Laughing

I like making vids aswell. Whenever im bored, i make vids that are pretty entertaining for me and my friends. I also use Photoshop often. i edit and make many pics. I also use Photoshop for art at school.

I also like hangingout with friends, surfing the net, going on forums, shopping for clothes, games and jewellry. i love shopping on ebay Laughing i've bought alot of of legit anime dvds off ebay for heaps cheap Very Happy
Watching movies is another hobby of mine. I love watching Stephen Chow films. they make me laugh every time. I also like tv shows such as Startrek:enterprise, Simpsons, futurama, Scrubs, Lost, Stargate:SG1 and the list goes on.

I like reading manga aswell, Currently reading XxxHOLiC~, Love Hina, Aria, Full Moon, Negima and NGE: Angelic days.

Playing the piano is another hobby of mine, I've been playing it for about 2 years now. i dont know how to play much songs, but im learning to play FF piano pieces. My friends and i played 'Life is Like a boat' by Rei Fu for our yr 10 course at school and we got full marks Very Happy

Getting facials is another hobby of mine. No im not queer. Facials are good for the face. My mum wants to me to improve the skin on my face so even if i dont want to get a facial, she will force me to get one.

So these are basically my interest. Im sure i have plenty more but cant think of them right now to list. Yes, i am very athletic person. Believe it or not, in my primary public school, i was the ONLY asian(chinese) kid at my school. I guess i had to intergrate into playing sports Laughing , but i dont mind, its good for my health, fitness and all.

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:04 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

I like trying different kinds of foods too. I really like eating exotic foods or foods I've never eaten before. I know they do in some countries, but I've never eaten bugs or dogs though...

You'd be amazed to know which is a delicacy in my country: Ants. I've had them (since my mom's from the place mentioned in the article), but I don't like them, since the shells have the nasty habit of sticking between my teeth. However the flavor isn't that bad, but I guess it's a very acquired taste.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

I like trying different kinds of foods too. I really like eating exotic foods or foods I've never eaten before. I know they do in some countries, but I've never eaten bugs or dogs though...

You'd be amazed to know which is a delicacy in my country: Ants. I've had them (since my mom's from the place mentioned in the article), but I don't like them, since the shells have the nasty habit of sticking between my teeth. However the flavor isn't that bad, but I guess it's a very acquired taste.

My mom goes ahead and chocolate covers the ants and we drink some Malta with it, it tastes pretty good if you ask me Very Happy Yeah but they do get stuck your teeth though. I too love to try new foods and there is alot of foods and drinks out there that I would like to try, one being a alcholic drink with a centipede in it which I think is in Taiwan (anyone know the name of the drink?) but I am not sure. I heard it was potentionally deadly but I am crazy enough to try it. Razz Laughing
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote
Have to admit that anime is my number one hobby; I've devoted so many years of my life to it that I think I'd be rather lost without it. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I do have hobbies outside of anime though, & these include;

Reading - don't read as many books as I used to do (love fantasy novels, hate the Mills & Boon romance crap that my girlie friends seem to be addicted to), but lately I've been reading a lot of fanfiction online - some of it is utterly rubbish, some are hidden gems.

Cookery - my hubby & I love cooking; he likes to dabble in Italian & French cuisines whilst I do the oriental side, specifically Cantonese & Hakka recipes. We have dinner parties for our friends when we want to try out new recipes, & *touch wood* no ones gone away ill.., yet. ^_~

Model making - if being nit-pcky, this probably comes under the anime banner, but I enjoy building robot model kits & chara resin figures. Aside from the models looking very cool, & getting a great deal of satisfaction in building them, I find the whole process to be very therapeutic.

Archery - specifically recurve target archery. I've been doing this for over a year now & it's something that I find to be a great stress reliever. I don't belong to a club or enter competitions, as I hate all the internal political bullcrap that comes with it, I shoot with one of my friends who used to hunt springbok with a bow in South Africa.

History - I have an on-off love affair with history, be it the history of medicine, ancient Chinese history, or military history, particulary arms & armour, which leads to..,

Weapons - my hubby & I collect weapons (that, along with anime, were the reasons why our mutual friend thought we would be good together - he hooked us up on a blind date). Not real historical museum pieces, but replicas, & there's currently as least two pieces of weaponary in every room in the house aside from the bathroom. I like knives & swords, whereas my hubby likes axes & polearms.

As for other stuff, I don't watch much TV anymore as UK TV has been plagued by reality TV for several years now; if I want to rot my brain, I'd rather soak myself in alcohol - it would be less painful than having to sit through Pop Idol or that Big Brother nonsense. The only TV series I follow with any sort of regularity is CSI & it's two clones & the reason I enjoy these shows is due to the fact that I'm a scientist by profession, so I find it interesting seeing the techniques I use at work in a fictional TV setting. I also like picking the holes in the scientific theory too.

I also play video games, but that hobby has been put on the back burner for a while now due to my increased interest in anime over the past 12 months; only my DS gets played regulary these days, though once my stock pile of anime has been whittled down, I'll restart Disgaea 2 again.

And I used to play pen & paper RPG's too, specfically MERP & Rolemaster, with an occasional smattering of AD&D or Call of Cthulhu - I prefer this type of role-playing over the console-driven stuff like Final Fantasy or WoW, but I haven't played for many years now due to our group disprsing to the four corners of the globe. Anime cry
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
My mom goes ahead and chocolate covers the ants and we drink some Malta with it, it tastes pretty good if you ask me Very Happy Yeah but they do get stuck your teeth though. I too love to try new foods and there is alot of foods and drinks out there that I would like to try, one being a alcholic drink with a centipede in it which I think is in Taiwan (anyone know the name of the drink?) but I am not sure. I heard it was potentionally deadly but I am crazy enough to try it. Razz Laughing

Which kind of ants?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
omar235 wrote:

Which kind of ants?

The ones mentioned in the link you provided, I had taken a trip with my mom and dad down to Venezuela to see family a few years back and his brother brought some of those ants from Colombia and my mom was like "Omar is not eating them, we don't know if they are poisenous" and my dad was like "oh it isn't going to kill him", we ate a few of them after my uncle said that they have been eaten alot by people and that they weren't going to hurt anyone. After we all had some my mom said that she bet they would taste alot better with chocolate, and it did as do alot of things with chocolate on it. Very Happy
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote
Reading: mostly nutrition-related books since this is my field of work, but I'm also a sucker for psychology, philosophy, sci-fi and metaphysics.

Learning Japanese: I've gotten better in grammar and forming sentences, heck, I can sometimes think with this language Very Happy the kanji is a pain to learn though, but I admire the intricacy of the writing system in this language. Next is French on my list.

Video Games: I've been a hardcore gamer for years, I mostly play RPGs, especially the ones made by Atlus and Namco and I'm not fond of Kingdom Hearts and the Final Fantasy series like most RPGers are -only love 4, 6, 9 and *gasp* 8 in the FF sereis though.

Writing: I love anime and manga so much that I like to write crappy fics about its characters Anime hyper writing is therapeutic.
kolibri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
With a risk of starting a conversation I'll just say one more thing on the subject...
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
What? I didn't know Guererro died Shocked. I was a big fan of his. I used to watch pro wrestling a lot until they changed their name from WWF to WWE. Man, I would never've known until I saw your post. I was like "Eddie? Guererro?" He looked to be in such good health when I last saw him Crying or Very sad.

I was seriously down when I heard he died.

Yeah, I'm not ashamed to say I cried my eyes out. Those tribute shows were heartbreakingly awesome, so much love for this great man (I've still got them on DVD, if you want I'll send you a copy Tony). He was so full of life until the very last moment, every time you saw him he was so vibrant - the rumour had it that he was gonna win the belt again the next day. I had the privilege to see him live in several occasions and you could see that he just loved what he was doing from the bottom of his heart - he was at his best in house shows where there were no cameras, just the audience and him. With the TV tapings there was always more pressure, and you could see how he would put on a show for the cameras and intimacy of a house show just wasn't there.

But after a 40-year old guy drops dead of a heart attack, there's something seriously wrong. It should have been a wake-up call for Vince to do something about the rampant steroid and drug use in the ranks... instead he hawed and hemmed and then came up with a half-hearted would-be plan that I don't think is gonna protect anyone. I can't honestly support an industry that puts it's workers in such a danger, and my heart wouldn't take another heartbreak like Eddie's death. May he rest in peace.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:

The ones mentioned in the link you provided, I had taken a trip with my mom and dad down to Venezuela to see family a few years back and his brother brought some of those ants from Colombia and my mom was like "Omar is not eating them, we don't know if they are poisenous" and my dad was like "oh it isn't going to kill him", we ate a few of them after my uncle said that they have been eaten alot by people and that they weren't going to hurt anyone. After we all had some my mom said that she bet they would taste alot better with chocolate, and it did as do alot of things with chocolate on it. Very Happy

Wow... I guess I ought to take a try with that... But I won't let my mom hear that... She loves eating them as they are Anime hyper. And you have relatives in Venezuela? Cool.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
EVA fiend wrote:
Archery - specifically recurve target archery. I've been doing this for over a year now & it's something that I find to be a great stress reliever. I don't belong to a club or enter competitions, as I hate all the internal political bullcrap that comes with it, I shoot with one of my friends who used to hunt springbok with a bow in South Africa.

History - I have an on-off love affair with history, be it the history of medicine, ancient Chinese history, or military history, particulary arms & armour, which leads to..,

Weapons - my hubby & I collect weapons (that, along with anime, were the reasons why our mutual friend thought we would be good together - he hooked us up on a blind date). Not real historical museum pieces, but replicas, & there's currently as least two pieces of weaponry in every room in the house aside from the bathroom. I like knives & swords, whereas my hubby likes axes & polearms.

I used to do a fair bit of archery, but I used a traditional hand made Welsh longbow...ridiculously difficult to draw it back (it was easily double the current olympic draw weight) but I've not done so for a long while.

I also really enjoy arms and armour, and military history but nothing post 1750...well with some exceptions. Once firearms become the be all and end all of warfare I find it terribly dull. My particular interest is in the development of arms and armour, why they were created, how were they used and why. Often some strange piece of information can be a massive insight. For example the rules of a Viking duel stated each fighter was allowed three shields. What does that tell you about how the duels were fought? How were the weapons used? etc.

I really like all manner of weapons, I prefer thinner more...Rennaisance style swords like the sidesword, or backsword...but I find the amazing utility of the longsword (especially during the plate armour years) exciting too. I infact study western martial arts and Talhoffer's longsword is one of them. I tend to get my weapons either through auction (if I want an antique piece) or through any number of internet sites, Blades-UK being the main one.

I want to get this sword next:-

what's you're favourite?
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
Learning Japanese: I've gotten better in grammar and forming sentences, heck, I can sometimes think with this language Very Happy the kanji is a pain to learn though, but I admire the intricacy of the writing system in this language. Next is French on my list..

Ah yes. Languages. I forgot all about that m'self.

I had taken 4 years of German in high school. After nearing 9 years after those years, I still manage to retain the grammar rules and sentence structure. Unfortunately, my vocabulary was never really built well enough to speak it. Nevertheless, I remember a few idioms.

Spanish. I only know enough words to form two sentences. Or maybe a little more. But absolutely not much at all.

Filipino. That's my "native" language. However, I refuse to even try to speak it because I do not like how it sounds; yet, I can understand enough to get a jist of what people are saying. Managed to truly test that theory returning to the country last May.

Japanese. Yes, because of anime, I am inclided to try to learn it myself. I even took 1 semester of Japanese in college. I would have taken at least a second, but class was full by registration. Even so, I learned basic sentence structure and can read basic kana. I know enough Kanji to recognize them, but often do I forget the proper pronunciation. Overall progress has been slow - despite buying an extra textbook for myself.

Tony K. wrote:
Surprise, surprise! I got a PM from the author and have managed to unlock the thread. While I don't like too many of these off topic threads, having at least one would be a nice distractor from all of this other stuff. Plus, it helps to get to know everyone a little better.

Oh well, I give my gratitude. Smile
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Intrest besides anime. Hmm. Well this is going to be fun.

I like drawing manga if that counts. I'm currently working out how chapter 9 of Dragon Kids is going to go as well as how my other series will work out.

I also enjoy making fake Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. My fake cards include Seal of Orichalcos, 2nd Seal of Orichalcos, 3rd Seal of Orichalcos, Guardian Eatos, Fang of Critias, Claw of Helmos, and the Eye of Timaeus.

For entertainent, I enjoy horror movies, with Phantasm as my all time fave. I also like the Pulse remake(Sue me I thought it was good). I like shows like Beavis and Butthead, Chappelle's Show, and South Park. I also like listening to music videos. I like listening to music on Radio Blog Club.

Lately I've been spending my time on Deviantart writing stories and have submitted some of my own work. Here's one thing I've worked on. http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46392709 or visit my gallery http://animeboye.deviantart.com

That's what I do/enjoy besides anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
omar235 wrote:

Wow... I guess I ought to take a try with that... But I won't let my mom hear that... She loves eating them as they are Anime hyper. And you have relatives in Venezuela? Cool.

Yes I am actually half Venezuelan, quarter Irish and a quarter American Indian. Wink 3/4's of my dads family lives in Venezuela we have pretty big gatherings over there...it works out since they all live very near to eachother.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Wooooow... You're half Latin American. Awesome Anime hyper.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10