• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Interests BESIDES Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheConfusedone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Besides anime, i'm really big on gaming. My collection is so large that no matter how hard i could try, i would never be able to get my anime collection anywhere close to it's size (guess that's what happens when you become introduced to anime AFTER you've been a gamer for about 10 years, huh?).

As far as the actual games go, one of my favorite series' is the Castlevania series. I've played every single Castlevania game created, including Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo. I also find the Panzer Dragoon series as a great series, with Panzer Dragoon Saga being the best of the bunch.

My all-time favorite games, though, are Brave Fencer Musashi, followed by The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

As far as MMORPG's are concered, i've played Dark Age of Camelot and currently am playing World of Warcraft (Waiting for the expansion to come out on tuesday...) In Dark Age of Camelot, i managed to get 2 characters to 50, a Necromancer and a reaver for those familiar with the game, and in World of Warcraft I also have 2 characters, but at level 60. A Warlock and Rogue. And they all have what you could say as being way to much invested time on them, hehe.

The only other thing besides watching anime and playing VG's that I do is Origami. I got myself a nice little collection of books for that, though i wish i was creative enough to actually make some of my own models (I've tried many times, and the best i've managed to create was . . err. . . well i don't know what to call it, hah! But it resembled, err. . something with legs 0.o)

Yeah, pretty boring :P.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Besides anime?!? That exists?

Besides my anime addiction, I am a gamer. I normally go for RPG's, Fighting games, action adventure, platformer, strategy, FPS's, third person shooters and every other game genre too. I am quite fance to Final Fantasy I have played and beaten all but III which I'm playing on the DS right now, and V because I just haven't gotten around to it. (and XII, but i'm playing that now too.)

I like all sorts of RPG's, like most others, I love Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross (but unlike others, I prefer Cross over Trigger). Grandia is one of my favorite RPG's also, but Grandia 2 and Extreme blew goats. Grandia 3 was a huge jump up from those but it's still not quite good enough to hit the first. Legend of Dragoon is one of my favorite games of all time, and I want them to remake it for PS3 or sequel it for the PS3. Xenogears rocks the casba, but I haven't played it since it first came out so I need to re-beat it. I slao LOVE the "Tales of" series, Tales of Eternia 1 and 2 were good, Symphonia was great, Legendia is okay and AbyssI haven't played yet..... Xenosaga is pretty good but the game wasn't as good or entertaining as just watching it, Xenosaga 2 blows goats in every which way and shouldn't exist while Xenosaga 3 I haven't played yet.... and I love the .hack//series, all of it. KINGDOM HEARTS!!!!

Fighting games I love are the SoulCalibur / Blade series, DOA and any 2d fighter, Guilty Gear is the best and Super Smash is great. I never liked Tekken but I'll play it if anybody wants me too.

Platformers, I love platformers, Prince of Persia is always fun and Kya-Dark Lineage was surprisingly awesome. I liked Jak and Daxter but the second and third didn't have the cartoony look I was expecting so I guess it didn't hit me as hard as the others. And Ratchet and Clank was the same, but I liked the sequels.

Action/Adventure games are great. DMC is one of my favorites but DMC 2 sucked soooooo bad. Onimusha was alright, but I'm more excited that there's going to be a movie. Chaos Legion was better than I though but it was short.... Ninja Gaiden was sweet, I want them to make another one

Shooters, I was never into shooters to begin with but I guess came too after awhile, (still don't really like em.) but Halo was one of the funnest FPS's that I played, it's not much on story, well the 2nd one wasn't, but it IS fun to play. Gears of War is an awesome game, looks so beautiful and I LOVE the control scheme on it. Half-Life is a wonderful game too.

Strategy games i'm not very good at but I still like them. Front Mission pretty cool and Disgaea is of course one of the best and funnest and funniest out there.

Puzzle games are fun for travel. I love Tetris and it still goes well with me. Pokemon Puzzle League for the N64 was fun and still love it. Lumines is cool but 2 sucks and should die.

Other games that I like but don't know what category they are in are games like Asteroids or Geometry Wars whose are some of the coolest games i've played and wish I had a 360 for..... also I'm a big fan of Zelda love the Zelda games and have beaten most of them. (Haven't beaten Twilight Princess yet nor have I beat the last 4 for the GBA)

BESIDES anime and video games, I like to draw but have poor line quality, like soccer and swimming quite a bit and I like to eat. I don't really have many interests outside of anime but I never wanted any anyway. The only other things I do is go see movies, watch TV and sleep. OH and school.....but I wont be going there for a little while Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
akitainu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, as many others have said, reading would be my primary interest outside, and above, anime. My favorite authors include Hunter S. Thompson, Edward Abbey, Charles Bukowski, Raymond Carver, Hemingway and Fitzgerald-basically, the heavy booze-hounds.
I also have a guilty predilection for true crime books. They are generally poorly written and voyeuristic, but they're a good, quick read when I'm trying to kill some time.
I'm also getting back into music again (listening, not playing-I have no talent). I worked at record/cd store for a good number of years. By the time I left, I had associated every kind of music with a different sect of annoying customers. It's taken me a few years to shake off that connection.
Besides the above, I mostly hang out with my wife, the dogs and the cats. I'm not exactly the most exciting guy around.

Last edited by akitainu on Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:08 am; edited 3 times in total
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Hobbies outside the anime and manga scene, hmm...

I'll admit it, but anime ranks second my list of hobbies. First and foremost would be the world of sports, tops of these would be college basketball. It's gotten quite a bit more interesting the last couple of years with the mid-major teams closing the gap in terms of talent with the major conferences. I'll watch the pros play on occasion, but I really don't have much interest in it (probably due to the Wizards's 25-odd years out of the playoffs. When tourney time is over, I'll switch to MLB, even though the Nationals won't be seeing a playoff run until I'm over 30.

Apart from my first two hobbies, I like to read. Stephen King was my favorite author once, but with the conclusion of The Dark Tower series, he's fallen off the radar a bit. Besides him, I'll follow to a minor extent Robin Cook and Michael Crichton. On the other hand of this is writing, and I'm not adverse to writing a piece of original fiction from time to time. At the moment, actually, I'm finishing up with some character planning for my next project.

Miscellaneous stuff includes my on-hiatus music gig with a brass group (work just wouldn't let me get to practices and performances on a daily basis), studying history, and currency collecting (namely paper money; I tend to focus on bills that are prior to Series 1952, which I lovingly termed 'godless money' (the slogan "In God We Trust" didn't appear on bills until the 1952 series), and a little bit of geology way on the side.

That's about it, and it's enough for me.
coffee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big history buff, and if given the chance I'll stay glued to the history channel for hours, I also read a lot of history in books and online to keep myself busy. I'm also enjoy reading the news, but I do prefer reading it online vs the printed version. I enjoy a multitude of video games, with my favorites being Dawn of War 40K (and all the expansions), Oblivion, Halo 2, and the GTA series, among others. My only other hobby would be playing guitar every now and then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Besides anime I'm a really big science fiction fan and really enjoy stuff like the various Star Trek series, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Farscape, etc. I'm also a computer geek who's had several years of college level courses on A+ hardware certification, various types of office software, data entry, graphics design, web page creation, and a little networking. I minor in Psychology as well. I also listen to a wide selection of different types of music from arround the world and read a lot of books and web pages to become more knowledgable about things and improve myself. Lastly I'm a martial-artist as well and practice Tang Soo Do in addition to doing my job at work which is also psysically active.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I have some other interests beyond manga and anime too.
I love animation in general, so I like western animation as well as anime. My favorite cartoon is...Futurama! I'm a big Futurama fangirl and cannot wait 'til the movies and the revival of the T.V this and next year! I also like The Simpsons, Spongebob, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and a few more. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of good cartoon nowadays.

I love to read. I'm reading Kamikaze Girls and The Tenth Circle at the moment. My favorite genres are fantasy, biographies, slice-of-life, and drama.

I'm also a gamer. Currently I'm playing Kingdom Hearts II, Okami, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Symphonia, and Elite Beat Agents.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Surprise, surprise! I got a PM from the author and have managed to unlock the thread. While I don't like too many of these off topic threads, having at least one would be a nice distractor from all of this other stuff. Plus, it helps to get to know everyone a little better.

You're letting this live? I find this pretty surprising, especially since it's been made clear that there will never be an off-topic forum. Granted, this one thread will be infinitely easier to control than an entire subforum, but the sentiment behind the "no off-topic forum" policy seemed to be "if you want to talk about something not related to anime, go somewhere else". I'm not saying letting this live is a bad thing (I actually think it's a good thing), I just find it a bit surprising.
doug19992000

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
My hobbies besides anime include:

I like to cook, espically dessert food such as cakes. Although my oven is broke. Crying or Very sad I'll give most food people cook a try to see if I like it or not, even if I get kind of paranoid when it comes to sanitation.

As far as sports is concerned, I will mostly watch hockey. My favorite team is the Flyers even if they aren't doing so great. Football is another sport I'll watch. Mainly because there will be a game on at work and I get into the game so much that I'll watch the rest of it at home. Personaly someone should give the NFL a geography lesson.

Watching the History channel is another hobbie of mine. Even if they air the same show several times in one day. Rolling Eyes I really enjoy shows such as Modern Marvels - Engineering Disasters, it's quite intriguing to see how and why a structure failed to support itself. Collecting old coins and currency from other nations that I find in my change is something I do for fun.

Video games, another addiction of mine besides anime. My favorite game series are the Silent Hill I like how you don't run through the game as an ex-commando and your first weapon being either a piece of wood or a lead pipe offers a bit of dificulty to it, Ace Combat these games are pretty fun to just sit back mess around a bit then shoot down some bandits, and most fighting games, because why should I get hurt fighting when pixelated people can do that for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Hobbies are:

Card games-, namely Magic:The Gathering and Star Wars(Decipher). Waste too much time and money on this.

Reading-Not had much too read lately, have not been able to find many books I have enjoyed, and not much true literature(I get enough of this from my literature, English, and German classes), so I haven't been reading as much lately.

Go-The boardgame. Strangely enough, it wasn't anime that got me playing go, but rather one of my Asian friends. I really like go, even though I'm only mediocre(18/19Kyu)

Hockey-Playing, I don't much enjoy watching it, but I would rather watch it than most other sports.

Sleeping-Self explanatory.

Video Games-Mostly just the bigger hits, I would rather spend my money on other things.
kolibri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Oh, since we have the seal of approval and I'm sure you're all dying to know Wink

Let's see, life outside anime? And manga doesn't count? How about cosplay?

Well, besides working there's room only one thing for me: yoga. I teach couple of classes a week, and rest of the evenings I pretty much spend practicing yoga. I also study classical yoga philosophy and meditation.

Ok, here are few other things... I used to be into wrestling too, but since Eddie died I haven't been able to get back to it. I wish we could get some lucha libre, that's awesome, but no channels are showing that here right now. I don't have time to read anymore, but my trusty iPod always has some audiobooks on it so I don't get totally out of loop. My tastes are mostly sci-fi and... well, that's mostly it. I'm currently listening to Eragon which is boring me to tears, talk about lack of originality Razz My favorite authors include Richard Morgan, China Mieville and Orson Scott Card. There's very little on TV right now that holds my interest (although I was and am a hard core Trekkie) - Battlestar Galactica comes to mind, and my friends are trying to get me to see Heroes.

For social stuff I play board games with my friends. Current favourites are Puerto Rico, different Carcassonnes and St. Petersburg.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
You're letting this live? I find this pretty surprising, especially since it's been made clear that there will never be an off-topic forum. Granted, this one thread will be infinitely easier to control than an entire subforum, but the sentiment behind the "no off-topic forum" policy seemed to be "if you want to talk about something not related to anime, go somewhere else". I'm not saying letting this live is a bad thing (I actually think it's a good thing), I just find it a bit surprising.

Well, I view this as more of a site-related topic, sort of like the Introductions thread, only an expansion. Right now, I'm just expecting people to state their interests, not to start discussing things. But I don't mind that either so long as it's not politics or religion (two issues that always seem to spark controversy), so we'll see how it works out. I've always got the trusty Lock and Delete features Very Happy.

kolibri wrote:
Ok, here are few other things... I used to be into wrestling too, but since Eddie died I haven't been able to get back to it.

What? I didn't know Guererro died Shocked. I was a big fan of his. I used to watch pro wrestling a lot until they changed their name from WWF to WWE. Man, I would never've known until I saw your post. I was like "Eddie? Guererro?" He looked to be in such good health when I last saw him Crying or Very sad.

But yeah, I was a big WWF fan in the early to late 90s. Hitman, Stone Cold, The Rock, HBK, Undertaker (dead-man version). Those were the days. Now you've got these guys Batista, John Cena, or whoever the heck. I think the downfall came when McMahon bought out WCW. While I absolutley love the luchadors from their ranks (Rey Mysterio being my favorite), just something about those WCW guys didn't integrate well into WWF's FOX-like themes (gratuitousness all over the place, though I'm not complaining about Torrie or Stacy in those bra and panty matches Razz).

But anyway, yeah. I'm shocked to know he died Shocked...

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
El Oso

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote
In no particular order...
Reading - It's mainly Japanese light novels, classic literature, Sci-Fi books, and manga. The Count of Monte Cristo is hands down my favorite book of all.
Video games - PC strategy and Nintendo games primarily.
Chess - One of my more neglected interests. I'm not all that good, but anybody who I can get to play chess with me just plain sucks, so it's no fun. I don't play it on the computer either, since playing with another person is half the fun.
Skiing - The only sport I actually like. Well, I don't like watching it, just doing it.
Sleeping - Sleeping pwns everything!
KyuuA4 wrote:
What are your interests besides anime? It's quite healthy to have a plethora of interests.

On an unrelated note, plethora is my favorite word. It needs to be used more!
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
Hmm. Anime is probably my main interest and most of my free time goes into stuff related to it. But there are some other things I like...

Uh, like others, I play a lot of video games. I've played far more video games than I've watched anime though. So debatably, I'm a bigger fan of them, and have been into them practically my whole life. Platformers, RPGs, and Puzzle games are probably my favorites. I'll play other games too, except for sports. I've never really been a big fan of sports games. Although I've lost interest in some of it now, the Sonic the Hedgehog series has probably been my all time favorite.

I love amusement parks also. Particularly, I like going on the huge roller coaster rides. Probably the only type of thrills I will do though. Not really keen on doing something like sky diving, bunjee jumping, etc... But roller coasters I love. The bigger drops and more loops the better.

I like trying different kinds of foods too. I really like eating exotic foods or foods I've never eaten before. I know they do in some countries, but I've never eaten bugs or dogs though... Those are the only things I'm not sure if I'd eat though. I'll pretty much eat anything too, I'm not a picky eater at all. My family goes out to eat at restaurants pretty often, so I try a lot of new foods... I usually get bored if I eat the same thing all the time though, in turn, I usually won't eat it (like school lunches when I was little. My mom packed me things and often times made the same thing all the time. Wouldn't eat it after a while...). In those regards, I suppose I am picky though...

I don't really watch TV that often, so I listen to talk radio in my car to get news. I listen to it pretty often, so I suppose I'd call it a hobby of mine... Kind of. Although, I'd guess most people listen to the news often.

That's all I can think of right now.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:43 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
What? I didn't know Guererro died Shocked. I was a big fan of his. I used to watch pro wrestling a lot until they changed their name from WWF to WWE. Man, I would never've known until I saw your post. I was like "Eddie? Guererro?" He looked to be in such good health when I last saw him Crying or Very sad.

You really didn't know until now? It's been over a year: Nov 13, 2005. Died from heart failure, most likely due to his years of drug and alcohol abuse. Truly shocking news, I remember watching him many times when I was into the WWF (after it became the WWE I lost interest, especially after Stone Cold left, he was my favorite).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10