• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm starting to think that animes are not very well animated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atromoby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:10 am Reply with quote
Some examples will be Noir and Ghost in shell, those are animes with tons of talking and speeches and animation flaws I mentioned before.
Of course. It doesn't really ruined my whole experience from those great titles.(but I do hope they could at least add more blink-eyes and some facial muscle movements)
Keep in mind that I'm not bashing animes. I really enjoy some of the faster-pace and action oriented title like One Piece. And maybe it's just me though, animes with more talking and less variant animations makes them slower-pace and liveless for my liking.

Also, I'm not refering to what animated series are better than anime. And I don't fully agree with one of you guys saying that animated titles like Simpsons are poorly drawn, it's just a different taste of style in my point of view. You might as well point out that some charactors anatomy designs are badly done in animes.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Anyone think we'll get 30fps natively progressive content at some point? I think that would help out a lot during panning sequences.

Nah, animating on twos is smooth enough to create non-choppy pans. Since most animation is animated at 24 fps (this is the film frame rate and also HD frame rate), 12 drawings per sec. perfectly suffice. The frame rate of pans and zooms should always match the frame rate of the character animation, or else it looks really awkward.

daxomni wrote:
Also, recording the audio track before animating the lips would certainly be a positive development in my view. I'm sure there is a reason they don't do this, but it certainly seems like a bad idea from a purely aesthetic point of view.

Yeah, American animators kinda scratch their heads, too, at that one. Having an audio track beforehand not only helps out with lip synch, but also helps an animator time out good character movement. I remember watching the making of Appleseed, where the production team recorded the audio first, for motion capture and lip synch, and then re-recorded the audio again after the animation was complete, so the perfect lip synch was lost. That's just confusing and frustrating to me. Why do it twice, you know? Over here, all the audio is done ahead of time.

Lorraine_Kristine wrote:
An example? Above all animes that I watched, I really don't like the way they drew Windy Tales ...
Check it out for yourself...anime#3447

don't get me wrong, the storyline is good, but I get discouraged everytime I look at the graphics.. Sad
[/url]

Oh, man. I couldn't disagree more. The charm of Windy Tales comes from its unique stylistic character renderings. Its inspired artwork is a breath of fresh air in the stagnant pool of big-eyed anime character designs. It's a shame that works of artistic integrity are shunned so often within anime fandom.

As far as the subject of this topic... I'm going to have to agree that the animation quality of anime is generally wanting. I wish there was less emphasis on creating pretty drawings and more emphasis on creating interesting movement. Production IG and Kyoto Animation are usually the most consistent studios in creating titles with fluid, beautifully keyframed animation, while Studio 4°C consistently balances expressive animation with creative visual design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
I.D. Evo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed this in the anime's Naruto, Bleach and DBZ. Not just the fact that the animations seem choppier, but some of the movements look a little strange or just cheap in general (like in bleach when the character jumps back, looks a lil strange, not very natural, but that's not a complaint because the rest of the animation is good enough to not worry about the little things like that)

But I don't really notice those things much because I generally only watch well known or big name anime's (cowboy bebop, Eureka 7, FMA, Paranoia Agent etc etc)

But honestly, to say that anime's don't have good animation because they can sometimes take a shortcut is a bit of an overstatement dont yah think? And also, anime's (imo) tend to have more things to draw (as in, they're more detailed) so of course some scenes which the director chooses (I'm assuming this, I couldn't tell you this as a fact) as not as important as other scenes will get less of a budget. I'll take a few choppy talking scenes as long as I get the same amount of detail in the character's face, or as long as the scenes that really count are smooth and detailed.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Lorraine_Kristine wrote:
Above all animes that I watched, I really don't like the way they drew Windy Tales ...
Check it out for yourself...anime#3447

don't get me wrong, the storyline is good, but I get discouraged everytime I look at the graphics.. :(
[/url]

That must be it. I disliked the artstyle so much that I bought the R2-J DVDs (well, all but a couple of them that I still need to get). ^_^

I liked the story _and_ the artwork. The different, sketchy, character designs and watercolor-look backgrounds were a wondeful change from the usual low- or high-gloss anime that comes out from so many studios these days. Why would I want to look at Naruto when I can look at Windy Tales? I still enjoy shows like GitS:SAC, FMP:TSR, and SHnY(TMoHS), but it's nice to see something else occasionally.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
i don't really care about the "quality" of the animation itself. By today's standards a lot of the 80's anime, Patlabor, Project A-ko, and Ninja Scroll for example, would be considered to have bad animation quality. However, they all had darn good stories and plots. I could give a rats butt what the animation itself looks like, I want a good plot with good, well drawn out characters. If the plot and characters are working why worry about how purty it looks. A lot of times now we seem to sacrifice plot and depth for flashy animation. Give me a lot of the old classics over all the new crap filled titles coming out.
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I.D. Evo wrote:
I've noticed this in the anime's Naruto, Bleach and DBZ. Not just the fact that the animations seem choppier, but some of the movements look a little strange or just cheap in general (like in bleach when the character jumps back, looks a lil strange, not very natural, but that's not a complaint because the rest of the animation is good enough to not worry about the little things like that)

Well, I think in the case of long series, they often outsource the animation because it's cheaper, so the quality tends to decline as the series go on. These never-ending shounen series would be really expensive if companies went all-out in every episode, so they "cut corners" in terms of animation (especially during filler arcs).
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Alot of this "corner cutting" and the cheap tricks to reduce time and effort spent animating are part of what gives anime it's character and makes it unique from all other types of animation. Alot of the tricks of the trade are techniques passed down by some of the great innovators of the artform like Leiji Matsumoto, Osamu Tezuka, Yoshiyuki Tomino and Go Nagai. These live on in anime today despite the great advances we have in computer technology, which have made the need for some of those shortcuts obsolete but they are still included in with the animation because without them it would no longer be anime anymore.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:31 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
[Nah, animating on twos is smooth enough to create non-choppy pans. Since most animation is animated at 24 fps (this is the film frame rate and also HD frame rate), 12 drawings per sec. perfectly suffice. The frame rate of pans and zooms should always match the frame rate of the character animation, or else it looks really awkward.
Broadcast quality HD recorders can be what ever frame rate is required by a simple menu selection on the front panel. Wink
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
atromoby wrote:
Have you guys ever noticed that animes especially those with long run episodes tend to lack action scenes with most of their plots occupied by two charactors talking to each other for a long time with only their mouths being actually animated and moved, and the lip sync are poorly animated in this case.
I know there are lots of cool action animes there, but I'm somehow dissapointed by some of those uninspiring and cheesy animated combat scenes.
Not to mention the low frame-rate issue from my conclusion of all the animes I've seem. It seems that animes are kinda rigid compare to other animations.
I'm not trying to be biased here, it's just my overall impression. Very Happy
Any thought?

I agree. Long running fighting animes usually does this. But think about why, and you'll understand. Some other animes are extremly well animated (often OVAs actually).
dambuilder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
By today's standards a lot of the 80's anime, Patlabor, Project A-ko, and Ninja Scroll for example, would be considered to have bad animation quality.

OK, those three titles are the last I'd ever call badly animated. Especially not "Ninja Scroll". Or am I so much behind the times?

On another note, I find that many "vintage" animes are far more interesting to look at than some of the stuff coming out these days. I mean, in old shows like "Gundam" or "The Rose Of Versailles" there was animation in pretty much every scene (or at least they made it seem so), while a good deal of today's shows either pretty much come across as a series of still "talking head" shots.

Or they have somewhat stiff movements. Compare the "Mermaid Forest" OVA to the tv-series. There's about 15 years between production, but still the animation of the OVA seems to be much more lively. Odd, considering that it's very well possible for a tv series these days to match the quality of an early OVA.
Even more so considering the tv series was done by TMS, who created some of the finest animes ever to be broadcasted. I already mentioned "The Rose Of Versailles". At least in my book, it has some of the most creative visuals in all anime.
And for some reason I feel exactly this (visual) creativity is missing from a lot of recent series. I don't care if the technology behind animation has improved, without the right spirit it isn't good for anything.

Geez, I hope that made any sense, my English seems to be deserting me on this topic. ^^;
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Cloe wrote:
[Nah, animating on twos is smooth enough to create non-choppy pans. Since most animation is animated at 24 fps (this is the film frame rate and also HD frame rate), 12 drawings per sec. perfectly suffice. The frame rate of pans and zooms should always match the frame rate of the character animation, or else it looks really awkward.
Broadcast quality HD recorders can be what ever frame rate is required by a simple menu selection on the front panel. Wink

I'm talking from an animator's perspective here. I honestly don't know that much about commercial HD cameras, but the official HD format for animation
is 1920x1080 square pixels at 24 fps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:47 am Reply with quote
Everything described in the first post is basically a direct description of DragonBall and its sequels. I really can't see how you would attribute all of that to every anime in existence. It just doesn't make sense. Samurai Champloo has fantastic animation, as does stuff from Makoto Shinkai and the entire Ghost in the Shell franchise Akira as well. Not to mention Ninja Scroll...Ghibli films have good animation...

I think we can all assume this guy's been watching a bit too much Dragon Ball Z.
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
cheezisgoooood wrote:
I think we can all assume this guy's been watching a bit too much Dragon Ball Z.

Haven't watched any.
atromoby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
dambuilder wrote:

On another note, I find that many "vintage" animes are far more interesting to look at than some of the stuff coming out these days. I mean, in old shows like "Gundam" or "The Rose Of Versailles" there was animation in pretty much every scene (or at least they made it seem so), while a good deal of today's shows either pretty much come across as a series of still "talking head" shots.

Or they have somewhat stiff movements. Compare the "Mermaid Forest" OVA to the tv-series. There's about 15 years between production, but still the animation of the OVA seems to be much more lively. Odd, considering that it's very well possible for a tv series these days to match the quality of an early OVA.
Even more so considering the tv series was done by TMS, who created some of the finest animes ever to be broadcasted. I already mentioned "The Rose Of Versailles". At least in my book, it has some of the most creative visuals in all anime.
And for some reason I feel exactly this (visual) creativity is missing from a lot of recent series. I don't care if the technology behind animation has improved, without the right spirit it isn't good for anything.

I agree with you. Smile
It's not obvious animes that released later in time therefore were better animated.
I found numbers of "old" animes such as Ghibli's Laputa: castle in the sky tend to have more animation details than those "new" animes.
Of course. Recent animes do have characters being drawn fancier than before(The anatomy still looks a bit weird though), but a lot of time I'm just seeing two or three fancy-looking stiff people with long conversations. And I also dislike the way they use some of those cheap tricks to make it seem as those animes are more animated than they really are.

Quote:

lol. Personally I think the title is okay. There are many animes worse than DBZ speaking in term of animation quality.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
atromoby wrote:
lol. Personally I think the title is okay. There are many animes worse than DBZ speaking in term of animation quality.

Yeah. At least DBZ animated its cabbages right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3