• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Questions about Ergo Proxy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deepon05

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Um yeah can anyone tell what the hell episode 15 in the series was all about? I saw Vincent on some crazy ass game show and his life was on the line. Were they at an intermission show and providing stuff for the second half of the series?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
My memory of ep 15 is a little hazy, so take what I say with a grain of salt. If I remember correctly, spoiler[Vincent was actually dreaming the whole time]. Perhaps it was supposed to be symbolic... a lot of what happened in Ergo Proxy seemed to be symbolic.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't really understand a fair amount of what happened in Ergo Proxy, which is why I'm gonna do a marathon when I'm free.
adonais

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:33 am Reply with quote
kidder wrote:
My memory of ep 15 is a little hazy, so take what I say with a grain of salt. If I remember correctly, spoiler[Vincent was actually dreaming the whole time]. Perhaps it was supposed to be symbolic... a lot of what happened in Ergo Proxy seemed to be symbolic.

Except, I got the impression that the spoiler[game show was somehow being "broadcast" to certain people in Romdeau, but maybe that was part of the dream too? ] I sure didn't get that part.

Well I'm sure someone can offer us an insanely logical explanation as to why this must be entirely rational and completely to be expected, and we're just dolts for not getting it, doh Wink

Although I thought that episode kinda sucked. It was funny, all right, but felt rather out of place in my mind since Ergo Proxy up until this point had been a rather somber and serious show (which I thought was a good thing), and the sudden slapstick sort of spoiled the mood. spoiler[Later episodes try to make up for this confusion, but it's really only in the very final episode that one can begin to understand what has really been going on for 22 episodes..]
Reikah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
This episode also caught me off guard the first time I watched it.

I thought it was an innovative way to give the audience enormous amounts of information about the show without spending a great deal of time (or plot!) on it. Though, this episode could also be argued as being somewhat lazy, and interupting what had been a fairly steady flow within the series until now.

My impression is spoiler[that Vincent, Re-l and Pino come up against a number of Proxies on their way to and from Moscow, and this game-show Proxy is yet another one of them. Each Proxy has their own individual ways of fighting - head trips like this episode, and the Ophelia one, or hand to hand combat like during Vincent's time in Halos and Asura.] But, when it all boils down to it, it's just to give the audience some back-story and give them a break from the heavier plot points that'd overwhelemed the series until now.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Ergo Proxy, has anyone else purchased Volume 1 yet? I'm having a problem with it...it seems that when I try to watch it with subtitles, the video malfunctions. When there aren't subtitles on the screen, it's fine, but when there should be subtitles, it shows a freeze frame from the beginning of the episode until the subtitle would have disappeared...I'm really sort of pissed about it...
Dranxis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I also believe that spoiler[the game show host was another Proxy, who was fighting with Vincent in his own created world that he presided over as a 'God': Will B. Good's Disneyland-like world from ep. 19 (I think) is also a created Proxy world.] There are a few other bizarre Proxy encounters such as this, if I recall. As for the episode itself, it's one of my favorites, it struck me as being an ingenious way to provide comic relief while simultaneously filling the viewer in on some background. As mentioned there are some even weirder Proxy episodes than this though, so I don't think it was too out of place.

Hmm, my volume 1 (I pre-ordered the box..) is still coming is the mail. That really sucks about the subtitles, I really hope it's not a problem present on all the discs. At least the dub sounds fine. Smile
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I heard about one other person having the problem...I assume Zac would have mentioned it in his review of the disc if he experienced the same problem, though, so it can't be something present in all the discs.

It's actually not a huge concern of mine, since I actually preferred the dub to the sub (except for Pino's voice, but you can't win 'em all). Hearing Roy Mustang's English VA play a supposedly-homosexual robot is just funny.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
Regarding Ergo Proxy, has anyone else purchased Volume 1 yet? I'm having a problem with it...it seems that when I try to watch it with subtitles, the video malfunctions. When there aren't subtitles on the screen, it's fine, but when there should be subtitles, it shows a freeze frame from the beginning of the episode until the subtitle would have disappeared...I'm really sort of pissed about it...

I got my starter set today, and there were no problems with the subtitles. So in all likelyhood, you might just have a defective disc.

But on another note, the interview with Jonathan Klein and Taliesin Jaffe and the behind-the-scenes segment with the Manglobe CEO on the extras disc are awesome. The interview in particular goes into a lot of detail and depth about the series' composition, writing, etc. and how much non-anime influence there was, as well as those twos' opinions on the series overall.

I would highly recommend you watch this immediately after the first volume if you're looking for some kind of inspiriation to stay with the series or to just get a boost of confidence in what you have to look forward to.
deepon05

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
So now that Real has spoiler[ quit being bitchy and emo in ep. 16, maybe she can coexist with Vince and Pino?]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
deepon05 wrote:
So now that Real has spoiler[ quit being bitchy and emo in ep. 16, maybe she can coexist with Vince and Pino?]

In a way, yes. But she's not necessarily a changed person after that. She's just a little more considerate of those two in particular now. Towards the end, she gets a bit fickle because of a few plot twists, which you'll have to see for yourself.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:15 am Reply with quote
Heh, join the club. I've only seen up to episode 4 and it's been nothing but questions so far. I thought Noein got confusing, this series makes Noein look like a childrens storybook. I love the style and it is intriguing though, takes a bit of willpower to not look at spoilers simply because I can't make much sense of it so far and some insight wouldn't be too bad, but on the other hand I don't want to be spoiled.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
deepon05 wrote:

i still can't get over Pino mocking Real. that made me laugh so hard.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:

I haven't checked mine yet mainly due to fact that I absolutely love the dub version and prefer it over the original, so there was really no need to switch or even care if there's a problem. I could check if you want more imput though.
Luminal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching Ergo Proxy during the weekend and I did not understand ANYTHING about the final episode.

I have so many questions, I'd really appreciate it if someone could provide me with some answers.

spoiler[
Who is the other VincentLaw/ErgoProxy who he encounters at Romdeau?

Why did Vincent erase his memories? And why did the other Ergo Proxy want to die at the hands of Vincent ?

Who was Monad? Is the second Re-l the reincarnation of Monad? If so, the first Re-l is the reincarnation of whom?

]

And the most important question: Are there any animes similar to this one? It was amazing even I barely understood the story.

Thanks,

Luminal
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Luminal, try this thread I made a while back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2