• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:08 am Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
Concerning the "non-anime cosplay" issue; it has always been something that has either irked or outright bothered me. Sure, it's cool that anime fans have interests outside of anime (in fact, I strongly recommend it) but the point of an anime con is for anime fandom. I suppose manga can be included by proxy, but I'm one to think non-anime/manga based video games should be right out. This is probably why I could never actually run an anime con.

Drew "Suiko" Sutton
http://akibaren.blogspot.com

Well I think people should cosplay as they should. I thought Cosplaying was all about being in charcter. I never knew it applied to anime only. Even if it is an anime convention can't a person like both?

fighterholic wrote:
I have to say that there were some interesting questions this week, a very good read. I remember at AX I saw Guilty Gear, Sephiroth, Soul Calibur 3 characters, which wasn't very surprising, but to see Jedi there was something else.

maybe they were being a jedi from the Star Wars manga?
http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/comics/news20051222.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:53 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
maybe they were being a jedi from the Star Wars manga?
http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/comics/news20051222.html

That's exactly what I was talking about.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:04 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
A bunch of weeaboo bullshit

animenewsnetwork.com/columns/edit-list.php

I...really have no problem with the edits there. Sure, some seem ludicrous, but the people who were working to put it on the air were fans of the show themselves! Your little rant makes it seems like they picked it up without even watching it.

The only part I dislike having removed was where spoiler[Washyuu discovers Clay's symbol on Zero-Ryoko], but there was really no way around that. I mean, at the time Muyo was on TV, standards were a LOT tighter. The fact that we got the show at ALL is something to applaud. CN's trimming and painting of the series - even going so far to get as many of the original voice-actors to re-record their lines for the TV version - is something I can completly live with, given the lengths they went to try and please the fans, while staying within their bounds.

And yes, One Piece is a complete and brutal massacre. Tenchi Muyo was a very commendable effort by CN. Taking a show not made for TV, and putting it on TV, and for once, not assuming your fanbase is completly braindead. Even tossing them a little wink and a nod with a few edits (See: tea/sake)

I'd like it to go on record that I bought the VHS tapes of Tenchi Muyo because the TV show, which I realized was edited, piqued my interest. Which is damn near the sole goal of anime on american TV: To sell the DVDs (Or, in that case, the VHSs)
RDespair

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:15 am Reply with quote
I thought about doing the whole camping thing for a Wii, but what with moving back to the States, getting married and what have you, I'm going to wait 'til Christmas. Luckily, Gears of War just came out so I'll be well taken care of in the meantime. Smile

Personally, I have no problem with videogame cosplaying at conventions since I'm an even bigger fan of gaming than I am of anime. One of my favorite memories at AX was gaming related - seeing the awesome RE4 Die Another Day AMV for the first time. And anyway, anime conventions are as much about otaku culture as they are about anything else and gaming is as much a part of otaku culture as anime is.

Oh and it's been said before by others, but I laughed at the part of the rant that said Naruto was wrongly aimed at children. As someone who has lived in Asia for this past year and had close contact with children (being an English teacher and all), I can tell you first hand, that Naruto is very definitely a children's series. That's not to say that only children watch it or that there's shame in being a fan if you're not a child (I personally really like some of the videogames and I think some of the fight sequences in the anime are rather cool), but the target audience is most definitely boys in the 7-13 age bracket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the 7:27 PM Japanese timeslot confirmed it for me, as well as a CCG for Naruto. Heck, you can even tell by looking at the roadshow pics.

If you live near a 24 hour Walmart, then there's no camping. Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
A bunch of weeaboo bullshit(that I can not dispute with proof)

I...really have no problem with the edits there. Sure, some seem ludicrous, but the people who were working to put it on the air were fans of the show themselves! Your little rant makes it seems like they picked it up without even watching it.
Which makes this butchery they performed on it even more despicable, unbelieveable, and unforgiveable. Indeed it seems that you are unaware, as 4Kids was, that The Toonami version of the Tenchi Muyo OVA has become the iconic example of what can happen when a title that was originally meant for home viewing only, by persons over the age of at least 13, is "made" into a childrens title for "7-year-olds and family viewing on broadcast TV."
Quote:
And yes, One Piece is a complete and brutal massacre. Tenchi Muyo was a very commendable effort by CN. Taking a show not made for TV, and putting it on TV, and for once, not assuming your fanbase is completly braindead. Even tossing them a little wink and a nod with a few edits (See: tea/sake)

I'd like it to go on record that I bought the VHS tapes of Tenchi Muyo because the TV show, which I realized was edited, piqued my interest. Which is damn near the sole goal of anime on american TV: To sell the DVDs (Or, in that case, the VHSs)
Was that the Toonami version then? I can't believe you got the uncut version, watched it, and can still write this here. Totally incredible. Rolling Eyes
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Was that the Toonami version then? I can't believe you got the uncut version, watched it, and can still write this here. Totally incredible. Rolling Eyes
I take it you've never watched Cardcaptors before. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:

If it was on television uncut would you have still bought the VHS? Is it really editing that makes DVD sales higher or is it the fact that it is on television? I'm sure if they they aired shows on television completely uncut people will still buy the DVDs. The more advertising a company uses the more money they will get in return. The most popular anime shows are the ones on television. The reason why they edit is because they are afraid parents are going to sue them for exposing it to their children, even though they warned them ahead of time by showing a viewer discrestion advised sign.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I take it you've never watched Cardcaptors before. Rolling Eyes
No, nor would I. It's not my cup of tea anyway, cut, or uncut. Wink
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I can't believe you got the uncut version, watched it, and can still write this here. Totally incredible. Rolling Eyes

I can.
Because I did the exact same thing 4 years ago.
wolfshogun88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
i know its a day or two late to defend myself, but...

Apparently alot of people didn't like my rant. oh well. If you guys dont like my rant, submit one of your own! I also didn't mean to offend other fans of Berserk with my comment. There is alot more to it than just boobs and blood, but i was trying to use the art to make a point. If it was just that, i wouldnt have gone through the trouble of finding scanilations.

And i do understand all the commercial and business aspects and editing and such, but the point is, ITS A FREAKING RANT!!!!

i was complaining about something that annoyed me, regardless of the reasoning behind it! I guess i'll just have to learn how to read in Japanese and keep my opinions to myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lyrai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
If it was on television uncut would you have still bought the VHS?

I saw the cut version, liked the show, bought the uncut version because hey, I liked the show. Didn't mean to imply that I bought it BECAUSE it was edited - just that I REALIZED it had been edited.
So, yes. If they had shown it completly uncut, I would have bought it after they were sued to hell by the Soccer Moms of america.

mohawksomething wrote:
More weeaboo bullshit

I'm not sure I get your argument. You seem to be implying that they cut it completly out of malice purely to piss you off. They didn't. They cut it because that's what's required by censors. YOu want to bitch about something, bitch to them. CN would -love- to air things uncut. See the edit list interview - he remarks that he'd love to do something like showing Gundam Wing uncut again. They can't. Blame society. Tenchi was an idea show for the age group - Hero with hot women, mystical powers, etc etc etc.
I don't like the edits, but I don't disagree with them. DOes that make sense? I realize that they are needed so they can continue to air anime on TV. It's not "despicable", "unbelievable", or "unforgivable".

If you can't simply stand it being on TV edited, learn the language and fly to Japan and watch it there. Or buy the DVDs.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:25 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
mistress_reebi wrote:
If it was on television uncut would you have still bought the VHS?

I saw the cut version, liked the show, bought the uncut version because hey, I liked the show. Didn't mean to imply that I bought it BECAUSE it was edited - just that I REALIZED it had been edited.
So, yes. If they had shown it completly uncut, I would have bought it after they were sued to hell by the Soccer Moms of america.

mohawk52 (fixed) wrote:
More weeaboo bullshit

I'm not sure I get your argument. You seem to be implying that they cut it completly out of malice purely to piss you off. They didn't. They cut it because that's what's required by censors. YOu want to bitch about something, bitch to them. CN would -love- to air things uncut. See the edit list interview - he remarks that he'd love to do something like showing Gundam Wing uncut again. They can't. Blame society. Tenchi was an idea show for the age group - Hero with hot women, mystical powers, etc etc etc.
I don't like the edits, but I don't disagree with them. DOes that make sense? I realize that they are needed so they can continue to air anime on TV. It's not "despicable", "unbelievable", or "unforgivable".

If you can't simply stand it being on TV edited, learn the language and fly to Japan and watch it there. Or buy the DVDs.
No need to be so petulant luv. What I'm trying to get across is that, if they had allegedly watched the OVA uncut, and then knowing how much would have to be edited out to make it into a TV7-FV, they should have passed on it altogether and not airred it at all. It was a bad decision to go ahead anyway gambling they could get away with it. They didn't and I don't accept their plea that "We had to". They didn't have to air it at all, which is exactly what I told them back then too. I accept that naively they may not have intended to "piss off" the fans, not knowing just how many had already seen it uncut then, but that is just what happened. One has to remember CN didn't have an Adult Swim programme block back then. I had the uncut VHS Collection set back in 2000 so I knew what was chopped out, re-edited with new voice overs, and digitally inserted to cover up the naughty bits. I also have the DVD's as well.
In short, they should have said "Nah, we'll skip this one." and went with the TV series instead, which they eventually did, but the damage was already beyond repair by then. Pioneer US even tried to sell the Toonami version OVA on DVD as well. I wonder how many they shifted before it got binned? Wink
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:27 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

In short, they should have said "Nah, we'll skip this one."

Thus denying people who normally would not have seen it all to not 'upset' grumpy old buggers in the UK who are looking for things to pick at anyway.

Fact of the matter is, it's not like they made it so only the Toonami version would be sold. It allowed them to get it out to a larger audience, while still keeping the show more or less intact, content wise. It is NOT like the treatment on One Piece, and I'm dissapointed that you'd even think that way.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:11 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

In short, they should have said "Nah, we'll skip this one."

Thus denying people who normally would not have seen it all to not 'upset' grumpy old buggers in the UK who are looking for things to pick at anyway.

Fact of the matter is, it's not like they made it so only the Toonami version would be sold. It allowed them to get it out to a larger audience, while still keeping the show more or less intact, content wise. It is NOT like the treatment on One Piece, and I'm dissapointed that you'd even think that way.
Oooo! Pot calling kettle! So you have seen both versions of the OVA too then? Also One Piece was chopped by $kids, not CN. Well I probably was the oldest of the fans complaining, but certainly not the only fan. No, I would guess the hugh and cry was quite loud for them to justify such a PR response to quell the anger, and just who would have been injured if the OVA wasn't aired on TV then? Anyone who had seen the TV Universe, then had any deeper interest, would have soon found out, by the intarweb, that there were other Tenchi series to be seen, so I don't think anyone would have been that denied, the rest wouldn't even care. Also isn't it funny how CN stopped editing shows, but rather gets the licensors to do it for them, after all that now?
AIC knew it wasn't for broadcast in full, enough to produce a separate version made specifically for TV broadcast instead. The clever clogs at CN should have pinged on to that. Did you also know that when CN-Japan aired the OVA, they ran the uncut version, not the Toonami one? That right there should speak volumes. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9