• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ikki Tousen (Poss. spoilers)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just finished Ikki Tousen last night and...WOW!!! was that a fan service eye opener for me! I don't think that I've seen a series with that much fan service before (well, except for the first 5 minutes of Eiken but I didn't get past that so it doesn't count). When watching this series, the times that there is NOT any bouncing boobs, panty shots or girls' clothes being torn off are all the more noticeable.

But, in getting past the fan service, I actually enjoyed the story line. Dumb but good-natured heroine, fretting sidekick "protector", secondaries that are very kick-butt as well and of course, the evil one and his minions, the former minion and her side-kick and the evil behind the evil.

I think that the character that I liked the most or at least came to like the most was Ryofu Hosen, the former minion. She was not a sympathetic character at first especially with what she did to Ryomou. But, as the story went on, I began to understand, somewhat, what she was trying to do. But escaping your fate, historical or otherwise, is very difficult to do. Of course, being as stupid, as Hakufu and Ukitsu apparently are, helps.

Okay, the story is a cliche but it's fun. The animation is good. The characters are well drawn. You don't have to think much watching this series; it's just for kicks. I think that if it had been longer than the 13 episodes it was, it would have been just plain bad.

This is a title that you get and watch for a couple of days just to loosen the brain.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Ahhhh, good ole Ikki Tousen...fan service to the max. With beauties such as Ryomou and Kanu who needs plot :drool: The story actually wasn't that bad either. I mean this isn't any Kino's Journey here but it's a fun simple series. I liked the animation, and the visuals myself. I thought the characters looked well done and very...vibrant. I think one of the strong point for the series was the depth that a lot of the side characters brough to the plate. It wasn't all about Hakafu. They all made the story work as well. The manga is three times as good as the anime. Much more plot and character development. There's also even more fanservice and boobies Shocked You really get to know the characters more in the manga though. Plus more action with just Kanu......sweet!!!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
So far I've only seen the first two episodes, heard that this series is crap, but found it to be quite the opposite. It's not one of the greatest anime series that you could see, but from what I've gotten of it, it's not horrible. I especially like the character of Ryomo and almost sadistic personality in taking the liking of breaking people down in a pretty much style arm breaking system. And who couldn't ask for a better shot of u-no-wut. Wink
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
And who couldn't ask for a better shot of u-no-wut. Wink

You see more later...trust me Razz and much more of other characters

I actually liked the show alot but not just because of the fanservice but the plot as well, even though there are alot better ones out there the fanservice made up for it. If anything the two complemented eachother enough to make it an interesting watch and one that isn't too hard to get through. Course it depends on your tastes so I'm not surprised it was considered crap by people. I thought it was a bit sad on a few parts actually...I don't know why...probably cause I get sentemental when a cute girl is killed for a stupid reason.[/spoiler]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Ikki Tousen is filled with rampant fanservice. It's one of those series that's so bad it's actually good. The story was decent enough, but the ending could have been better. Anyway, you don't watch the series for it's excellent storytelling you watch it for the fighting and the half-naked women. Razz
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The storytelling actually wasn't too bad, but the story itself was pretty obviously just a tool to create tension; however, when it's handled as nicely as it was in Ikki, I don't even care (well, maybe it was the panties, I can't completely rule out that possibility). If the plot had been a little less forced, this probably would be my ideal fanservice anime. I don't generally like rampant fanservice (I don't dislike it either I guess), but this was all just handled so well it's hard not to give it credit. Biggest flaws? It's not long enough to make the story flow naturally, and the fact that it's not a hentai. Those are certainly the first two things that come to mind if you asked me how to improve the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
For all those who think the story is forced and should've been longer, gotta check out the manga. Much more backstory info, plus a host of people you never even see in the show. The hakafu vs. Ikitsu thing only takes up the first few volumes then the big story starts to unfold.

Ikki hentai....hot Ryomou on Kanu action.....oh god...brain... imploding...... :drool: Embarassed
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Ikki hentai....hot Ryomou on Kanu action.....oh god...brain... imploding...... :drool: Embarassed

Okay, the anime was...interesting enough. I'm so NOT going to buy the manga.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
DUDE, Battle Vixens was the and is the Shiznit, its better than Ikki Tousen, however i love Ikki tousen
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
Damn, I watched episodes 3 and 4 last night, and there was more great fights and boobs to go around. spoiler[Saji really had the guts to remove Ryofu's attire to reveal her nice looking rack] Very Happy This thing definetly is one to get better, and the comedy factor is also a great thing to have in this series, look forward to seeing the rest.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
WARNING: The spoiler below contains mature content that may make you want to view this series even more Wink

Okay, so I finished episode nine yesterday, spoiler[and up to that point, I'd seen Saji and Ryofu making out, Ryofu making Ryomo c**, Totaku grabbing Kaku's boobs, Ryofu and Chukin making our lesbian scene of the series, and the last episode that I saw yesterday, TITTIES!!!] Very Happy
Holy s***! I can see why people like and dislike this show, but seriously, I like the artwork. The artwork of Kanu totally rocked on that DVD that I opened. That's what keeps me watching the show, as well as the fanservice.
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
WARNING: The spoiler below contains mature content that may make you want to view this series even more Wink

Okay, so I finished episode nine yesterday, spoiler[and up to that point, I'd seen Saji and Ryofu making out, Ryofu making Ryomo c**, Totaku grabbing Kaku's boobs, Ryofu and Chukin making our lesbian scene of the series, and the last episode that I saw yesterday, TITTIES!!!] Very Happy
Holy s***! I can see why people like and dislike this show, but seriously, I like the artwork. The artwork of Kanu totally rocked on that DVD that I opened. That's what keeps me watching the show, as well as the fanservice.

Glad to see your enjoying the series...for some reason after reading your post I got the urge to re-watch it Twisted Evil
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Glad to see your enjoying the series...for some reason after reading your post I got the urge to re-watch it Twisted Evil

Well hey, spoiler[they would come so close to showing tits in each episode and then in episode 9 they FINALLY SHOW tits.]
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
omar235 wrote:

Well hey, spoiler[they would come so close to showing tits in each episode and then in episode 9 they FINALLY SHOW tits.]

Yeah they seemed to like doing that...thats why I think it would do better as a hentai. Wink The next episodes are pretty damn cool since you get to see Totaku's strength...I thought he was a pretty cool villian for a show like this.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

That's why kanu is my honey....I just drool when I see her. Just don't tell my gf heh. Seriously though, the show is animated very vibrantly and very nicely. You wouldn't expect that from the type of show it is so kudos to the companies for making the art so nice and crisp. If you think Ryomo and Ryofu and Kanu's titties are nice and big read the manga. spoiler[Volume 8 or 9, I think 8, you meant Ryubi. You get to see the whole story behind Kanu, which rocks, and the girl she protects which is Ryubi. Man Ryubi has big ole titties on her!!!!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2