• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
japanese otaku vs. american otaku

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
And you don't have to worry about proving who I am. Many people here can vouch for the fact that I do indeed posses the mentality of a 14 year-old, so don't even try it.

It's true, so I'm surprised that you bothered to respond based on SharinganEyes92's comments dax; especially when

Quote:
Your question about blocking users ignored the fact that you had initiated the exchange in question yourself and were thus mostly responsible for what you got yourself into. Those of us who wanted to know what had been said were completely unaware of the fact that OPF had apparently been baited into replying to your nonsense again and again.

Anyone else see the irony here? Rolling Eyes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bluepita

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, what does this have to do with otaku, American or otherwise?? For crying out loud, it was a joke. Yes, they have had words. Yes, dax may be getting on WP nerves or vice versa, or whatever. But, she handled it well enough by treating it lightly. It wasn't until a couple of other people jumped in that it turned into a mess. (Turning bright red upon noticing I am doing the same thing.) My point is do we need a posse of defenders for WP?? I mean I enjoy her posts and all, but that's a bit crazy. If she is old enough to be on here unsupervised, she's old enough to handle a couple of jokes at her expense, same as anyone. And if she is old enough to post on a thread where people talk about hentai, she is damn well old enough to not need any white knights. You do realize there are appropriate ways to handle a problem on here, and this thread contains none of them.

Now as for otaku: I have always read that otaku is a more derogatory term in Japan. There it tends to refer to unsocial, reclusive people who tend to live in a fantasy world, not really contributing much. It seems to be more of a term of pride here in the USA. I mean otaku in the US gave themselves the name, right, and those in Japan were labeled that by others?? I suppose enough fans here could fit the Japanese definition, but it's not really a requirement, is it? It doesn't seem to be too much of an insult, since the word is basically used in the fanbase about ourselves, instead of by others against us.
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Alright alright, come on daxomni did you seriously believe that she was some fat 40 year old bum living with his mother?? I mean yes she is smart and she can put together sentences well but so can my 10 year old cousin. Besides as stated by SharinganEyes92 it doesn't really matter who she is or isn't. And its not really very adult of you to pick on a 14 year old in the first place, but seriously what makes you think she is not who she says she is.

On topic, I actually learned the story behind the word otaku a month or two ago on a thread asking what an otaku was. I did know that being otaku wasn't a good thing per se though there are people who pride themselves on being otaku. But how many anime artist consider themselves otaku?
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Ok, well I looked over my previous comments, and I've found them to be quite out of hand. I got completely side-tracked from the point I was trying to make, so, I'd like to apologize for my harsh words on that account.

daxomni, I may have sounded like a dick, but it doesn't change the fact that it really does NOT matter if WP is telling the truth about who she/he (just in case) really is. It's not going to change our opinions of her (well, it most certainly won't change mine) if she does indeed turn out to be someone who she claims she's not. Who cares if she's pretended to be a gay guy or whatever on another forum? I personally find that hilarious, and I love that type of sense of humor in a girl. Anyway, (it seems I got side-tracked yet again), WP is who she is and that won't change here on ANN, so please stop making a big deal out of it.

Once again, I'd like to emphasize that I apologize for my uncalled-for comments and insults earlier. I've realized that they were nowhere near relevant to the point I was trying to make, and I hope that you will accept my sincere apology for such derogatory remarks.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
Japanese otaku go here, and American otaku go here.

Besides that, there really isn't much difference at all. Unless we're talking about American self-proclaimed "otaku" vs. real otaku. Then there's a difference. A huge difference.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
Yes we are all fans; just some more dedicated than others. As for the whole self-proclamation of your fandom thing, I get rather ticked off sometimes when people claim they are "hardcore". I actually think it's more respectable to label yourself as an "otaku" as a synonym for fan because it is a less generic indication of what you are a fan of. I think only when you've deserved the recognition and reputation of being a devoted fan should anyone deserve the title "hard core" and it should only be by someone else and NEVER something that you call yourself.

Oh and for the record, considering this whole WP vs dax ordeal, I don't openly provide any information in the forum that gives indication of the following:
Real name.
Age.
Gender.
Sexual Orientation.
Political Party.
Religion or Lack Thereof.
Residency Status.
Marital Status.
aaaaand Specific Geographic Location. Laughing
(and if I've told anyone any of this information via PM or email please don't spread it. thanks.)
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I had a feeling it was just a matter of time until you decided to let loose with the obscenities.

I took your harassment like a man up until now, dropping hints that I'd like you to quit, but apparently you still didn't get the message so I had to spell it out crystal clear for you.
Quote:
Once again, you're talking to someone who was there, not some naive boob who has no clue what you're talking about. You sent over a book's worth of content in more than one PM. The time from the start of the PM's between you and OPF and your offer to the rest of us consisted of far too much time to be "the heat of the moment". Heated moments don't usually last days.

That's exactly why it was so embarrassing and why I said I deeply regretted it. I sent him the original PM in the heat of the moment, he responded a day later with some racist garbage that made me just as angry as when I sent the original PM, and it went on like that for days with me getting angrier and more frustrated with each PM he sent me (and each one that I sent him). It wasn't "bait" to spoil his reputation or whatever, it was just me being an idiot and dragging the conversation on for way too long. My original intention when I made the "how do I block users" thread was to be discreet about what happened, but when people were sincerely concerned about what happened and I figured I'd send out the PMs to ease their mind to let people know I wasn't being sexually harassed or anything of that magnitude. Yeah, it was admittedly ironic that I was the one who started the debate, but I didn't have any evil behind-the-stage plan to humiliate a deeply religious and prejudice man.

Quote:
A little girl who just happens to be a pro-loli activist for gay rights with a concerned Christian mom just behind her shoulder, eh? I think I've heard enough of that, thank you.

My parents don't control what I think is morally right and wrong. I have a right to my opinions regardless of my religious upbringing. It's the over-zealous folks like FANatic that make me want to be as liberal as possible so I won't be associated with the beliefs of my folks.
Quote:
I had no intention whatsoever of continuing this little discussion until your post came along. Be sure to let WP know that it's all thanks to you.

Good, because I want this resolved once and for all. You know what? You can go on thinking I'm an old man if it gives you life meaning, but I just want you to stop ruthlessly teasing me every chance you get.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
Damn, dax, you remind me of my brother. A frickin HARD HEAD. I've seen and taken a lot of your comments but do you have to take this to a whole new level? This thing that happened has been done and over with, we had our laughs but you're acting like you were frickin violated and plan to sue after you've won the case already. Just let it go man.

On topic: Since this is the country of Gay-rights and stuff like that, people don't seem to mind, especially women, dealing with Yaoi stuff at all. We seem to enjoy it very much. People over there seem to be pretty quiet about it at times.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I actually think it's more respectable to label yourself as an "otaku" as a synonym for fan because it is a less generic indication of what you are a fan of. I think only when you've deserved the recognition and reputation of being a devoted fan should anyone deserve the title "hard core" and it should only be by someone else and NEVER something that you call yourself.

Yup, this sort of behavior brings about the elitist within oneself. Ironically, it can be looked down upon, especially when it is self-proclaimed.

I'll admit that plenty and plenty more know about anime than I do; but none of that is ever relevant - aside from conversation regarding particular anime. However, that doesn't stop me from enjoying anime on my own.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
You know, there was actually a quote I forgot to mention in that previous thread. A time when daxomni was actually nice. You know, when I was actually able to have a conversation, without him trying to insult me in some way every other sentence. He actually even used smily's when talking to me...

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20116

What the hell ever happened to this daxomni? Any chance you can go back to acting like that?

And on topic...

Honestly, I think there's a huge difference in fans. It's not really with the depth of obsessiveness though. (although, I'd be willing to bet Japanese has a greater percentage of obsessed fans than the US, but I think both of the fans can get equally in depth).

Obviously, there is a very huge and apparent difference in anime preference. Look how popular Samurai Champloo is in the US. Now look at Japan, where the show was canceled.

I honestly think the main difference lies in terms of anime preferences. I really don't know of that many huge GA fans (and even of the ones I do know, only two or three of them would be at the level of obsessiveness as me). I know Japan has a rather large number of obsessed GA fans, and I'm positive some of them are at an even higher level than me. Shounen fans far outnumber any other types of fans in the US though. Can't say I've seen any huge number of "moe" fans... unlike in Japan.

But other than the anime preference difference, no, I don't see any huge difference.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:09 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
I'll admit that plenty and plenty more know about anime than I do; but none of that is ever relevant - aside from conversation regarding particular anime. However, that doesn't stop me from enjoying anime on my own.
What was that abbreviation?

Ah yes, QFT. Quoted for Truth.

By the way, can anyone translate the Japanese page for us? And, on a more personal note, how do you set your Windows to actually show another language in the interweb without giving me a huge list of ??????????????...? >.<
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
Okie dokie, thanks for getting a little OT and and scuffling with one another...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3