• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Godchild Not Returning to Shojo Beat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
On a second note, I don't exactly mind having a title such as Kaze Hikaru pulled since I never really read them. When I first picked up SB, I wondered why in the world they picked titles such as Kaze Hikaru and Baby and Me, because they don't even look remotely appealing to many girls who might be interested in shoujo. Aren't there at least a handfull of other titles that would be popular and therefore wouldn't need to be pulled?

maybe kaze and baby were chosen for older mom readers and action chicks readers. plus to have a more variety of shojo then just teenage to college aged girl probs like nana, crimson hero and absolute boyfriend. i like variety but kaxe hikaru still sucked i rather have something with a girl ass kicking people for an action shojo title.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
is there a chart showing the manga most popular in shojo beat. that way we know istead of guessing on our own opinions. ANN do your chart!
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Good god, Viga, please stop spamming. Use the edit button.

And you don't have to comment on every little thing.

Quote:
smile!?

And now you aren't even using sentences....

edit button? sorry im new to forums so i didn't know proper forum equiette.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:

edit button? sorry im new to forums so i didn't know proper forum equiette.

Then this handy 2-week ban will give you plenty of time to learn the rules and figure out how to use the forums!
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:09 am Reply with quote
Seiitsuno Megami wrote:

(OT: I also dislike this series, but...why hasn't Baby & Me been featured on the cover yet? o_O;)

Wow...I hadn't even realized that it hadn't yet. Weird. It definitely should get a cover sometime.

And I don't think there is a actual chart showing popularity, but SB has done polls of their readership to see which series they like and which they don't. They've also done polling about articles and the new colour format (which I don't really like, though I've gotten used to it now so it's not as distracting as it was at first...I'd still rather go back to black and white, though it did make skipping over Kaze Hikaru easier before it was dropped, since you could see where the next colour section started Razz).
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
And I don't think there is a actual chart showing popularity, but SB has done polls of their readership to see which series they like and which they don't. They've also done polling about articles and the new colour format (which I don't really like, though I've gotten used to it now so it's not as distracting as it was at first...I'd still rather go back to black and white, though it did make skipping over Kaze Hikaru easier before it was dropped, since you could see where the next colour section started Razz).

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the color printing, either. The extremely bright colors on the bright white paper are pretty much a guarantee for eye strain. If they want to go the color route, I'd rather see color pages with the lines still in b&w, a la what MixxZine did. But I'd rather have black lines on white paper like all my other manga. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
astra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
Exactly. I think it's pretty fishy that they haven't shown us a chart of the popularity of the series. I think we can judge Baby's popularity simply because it hasn't been featured on a cover. There is precedent for this sort of series being in Japanese manga phonebooks- they sometimes have this sort of thing to break up the monotony of all the stories about young girls in love, blah blah. But they usually don't get so many pages! I'd rather have an extra dose of something else than so much Baby.

Also, they started the color pages because they wanted to follow the Japanese manga magazines. Think of it as an (silly!) extension of not flipping the pages like they used to. I find the colored ink annoying too :/
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
astra wrote:
Exactly. I think it's pretty fishy that they haven't shown us a chart of the popularity of the series. I think we can judge Baby's popularity simply because it hasn't been featured on a cover.

Well, when I interviewed the editor of Shojo Beat, she pointed out...

Jenifer Morgan, Managing Editor, Shojo Beaet wrote:
Earl Cain Hargreaves (Godchild) has stolen a vast quantity of hearts, and of course creator Yuu Watase (Absolute Boyfriend) has a huge fan base. But certain chapters of each title have elicited strong reactions. Sometimes we’ll get a flood of Baby & Me fan art after a scene where Minoru looks particularly cute. And after Shoji cheated on Nana Komatsu (Nana), readers got really upset!

Now granted, that's a pretty middle of the road answer in that she says something positive about 4 of the book's 6 titles (this was conducted before either Godchild or Kaze Hikaru were dropped), but I'd think any book that causes "a flood" of fan art is probably sticking around.

As for why it hasn't been on the cover, I think there's a simpler explanation for that, and it has nothing to do with what its popularity: it's the draw for new readers. Putting girl characters in funky fresh fashion or a dreamy hunk like Cain Hargreaves on the cover will (hopefully) grab the attention of female readers strolling through Borders or Barnes & Noble in a way that a pre-teen boy playing with his kid brother probably would not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
astra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
And yet the character who's stolen a "vast quantity of hearts" is the first to go?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Putting girl characters in funky fresh fashion or a dreamy hunk like Cain Hargreaves on the cover will (hopefully) grab the attention of female readers strolling through Borders or Barnes & Noble in a way that a pre-teen boy playing with his kid brother probably would not.

That's a good point, though I still think that perhaps putting a picture of just Minori would work okay, since he is pretty adorable (and the art that I've seen for the series really plays that up).
DoubleWide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I liked Godchild and was buying the graphic novels. Kaze never appealed to me, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its fans. My grandfather was supposed to have said that its a good thing not everyone likes the same thing, otherwise everyone would want my wife.

The main reason I get Shojo Beat is to sample various romance type of stories. I'm a sucker for a good romance, even though I'm male, some guys wouldn't admit it no matter what.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4