• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BlazBlue Fighting Game Series Gets Anime Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
The only good videogame anime I've seen were Gungrave and Valkyria Chronicles. Others than them were pretty messed up: DMC, Persona 4, the Shining serires ugh the horror. Last time two fighting games SF and Tekken tried to make movies but ended up badly because it's impossible to put every source material in them. Now haven't played Blazblue in years, so I don't remember much about its plot, but P4 also has a great original plot yet it ended up a mess. Hope this won't happen here.
Ashminigun

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Yes! Yes!

I had been dreaming for this day to come. Now, let's hope it will finally materialize.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be interesting. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
It's like they're finally following through, in spirit, with the teased anime trailer for Guilty Gear.

I'd rather have a bona fide Guilty Gear anime as it had the better story, as far as stories in fighting games go, but I'll definitely check this out should it truly come to fruition.

This is definitely an anime that, should it be dubbed in English, I'd appreciate it if they did not take the effort to hire the actors, writers & director(s) whom were cast in the games for its dub.
DarkPhoenixMishima

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
VPedge

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
The only good videogame anime I've seen were Gungrave and Valkyria Chronicles. Others than them were pretty messed up: DMC, Persona 4, the Shining serires ugh the horror. Last time two fighting games SF and Tekken tried to make movies but ended up badly because it's impossible to put every source material in them. Now haven't played Blazblue in years, so I don't remember much about its plot, but P4 also has a great original plot yet it ended up a mess. Hope this won't happen here.

Valkyria chronicles anime was good?

what...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:

Persona 4 anime is good. Even those who never played the game said it's good. Alot of games to anime are good, think Visual Novel. Blazblue's story mode is like VN.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:

Persona 4 anime is good. Even those who never played the game said it's good. Alot of games to anime are good, think Visual Novel. Blazblue's story mode is like VN.

I heard most places say that overall the P4 anime was a fistfull of mediocrity.

I'm cautiously excited for this. The games' story way all over the place, so hopefully they will be able to straighten it out a little bit. I am a huge fan of the games, so I will probably watch it regardless of how it turns out. Also Chrono Phantasma cannot come out here fast enough.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote
But will the music be as good as the game's?
configspace

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
I think they are going to need some serious animation chops to make it meet fans expectation. By that I mean fans who play for the combos, not story. Hopefully, it will be like the quality we get for the big canonical Naruto battles, and not most of its other parts.

Dimlos wrote:
But will the music be as good as the game's?

I wonder if they'll reuse some of the games' OST
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote
Sweet! Been hoping this would happen Very Happy .
Ashminigun

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
My only concern is how they gonna adapt the story. Whether they gonna focus on Ragna, Jin, Noel and handful characters that strongly related to the spoiler[siblings] or do like the game story mode, omnibus of characters after spoiler[each time loop reset].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote
VPedge wrote:
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:

Valkyria chronicles anime was good?

what...

Haven't played the game yet, but some people who have played it said the same thing. Basically, they cut out too many thing. While I find that the main protagonist was annoying, and some mediocre plot hole, they ain't affect much, it's still your above average (videogame) anime. Sure it has its share of trouble, but at least it didn't turn into another Doom.

Last edited by Takamachi Ryoko on Sat May 18, 2013 6:11 am; edited 6 times in total
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:30 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:

Persona 4 was mediocre, it started good but ended bad. The story was slow, social link wasn't emotional, some side stories were bad (the summer festival one). I'm a big P4 fan, would give the game a 10 but the anime was disappointing. It was directed by Seiji Kishi, who's known for his mediocre videogame anime like Ragnarok, Devil Survivor 2. And he's going to do Dangan Ronpa next season, DR game was good but I have doubts about the anime if this guy direct it.

And yeah, I don't count visual novels since they're pretty much like manga mix with light novel themselves.
Max465

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
I'm throwing my money at the screen so hard right now...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3