• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Changing Actor/Alias Names (#1183)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
millebaci

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I know, I know, she's bringing this up AGAIN... anyway, I just wanted to point out, I've been turned away in my request for Melissa Fahn to be listed properly (She's currently listed as Melissa Charles (1183)) because the number of roles for Melissa Charles outnumbered the number of entries for Melissa Fahn. Well, Melissa Fahn is now credited with 1 Staff and 27 Actor credits while Melissa Charles has 27 Actor credits... (I know, I'm anal and I counted twice to make sure) which, if I'm not mistaken, means that Melissa Fahn's credits outnumber Melissa Charles' credits... Certainly this means she can finally be credited properly on your encyclopedia?

Thank you!
Jax, Head Webmistress http://millebaci.net

(Disclaimer, yes, I run millebaci.net, I know Melissa Fahn. I'm neither confirming or denying that she's Melissa Charles or any of the "aliases", I'm simply asking for her credit to be correct in the encyclopedia. I cannot speak on behalf of Melissa for that.)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
The data structure of the Encyclopedia has its limits. Right now I'm not even sure if Dan could make such a modification. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
millebaci

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
But it's ridiculous that someone would be listed under a name that isn't even theirs. From my point of view, it staying the way it is makes the encyclopedia inaccurate... which, i'm sure, is not the goal. If the encyclopedia isn't capable of handling the changes, then maybe it needs an upgrade or two or five.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
millebaci wrote:
then maybe [the encyclopedia] needs an upgrade or two or five.

I think all of us would agree with you on that—see the Encyclopedia Suggestion List thread.
millebaci

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Sweet jesus... It's ridiculous, really. It should be able to handle a change as [seemingly] simple as changing Fahn to Charles... I mean, I can understand where changing an algorithm (sp?) would take ages, but just switching the default name? Rolling Eyes
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Here, fixed (BTW it's the first time I hear about this)

It wasn't that difficult to do but I had to massage the database directly. The problem here is that a staff made the error of merging Fahn into Charles and not the opposite, and the system is very unforgiving of staff mistakes. In retrospect, assuming that staff would always get it right was my biggest mistake in making the Encyclopedia Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:17 am Reply with quote
While you are at it, could you fix Yukana Nogami / Yukana as well?

Dan42 wrote:
In retrospect, assuming that staff would always get it right was my biggest mistake in making the Encyclopedia Crying or Very sad

(Sigh) at least I could assure you guys that neither of those two mergings was performed by me. Now it may look like I'm taking it too personally, but since I have been the only staff member who has been merging erroneous entries actively other than tempest and Dan42 I'd say it's necessary to clarify with a disclaimer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
millebaci

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quote
Well thanks much for making that change... It's something that I've addressed a few times and always gotten a different answer about, but it's just very, very important to me for things to be correct so big THANK YOU, Dan
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
(Sigh) at least I could assure you guys that neither of those two mergings was performed by me. Now it may look like I'm taking it too personally, but since I have been the only staff member who has been merging erroneous entries actively other than tempest and Dan42 I'd say it's necessary to clarify with a disclaimer.

I wasn't placing any blame here. I'm simply saying that to err is human. And staff are also humans. It was stupid of me not to take this into account.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
There's another one I noticed that also needs to be fixed (same kind of problem as with Melissa Fahn):

Henry Douglas GREY
His professional name (the one he is credited as in union dubs like Naruto, Wolf's Rain, etc.) is Skip Stellrecht, so it should be the main name, not Grey, which is an alias that I think is no longer used.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1