• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square-Enix Reports 5.7-Billion-Yen Loss in April-December

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geno6662000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
I still dont get, even after all this time, that when you take the company that made Chrono Trigger, the Mana series, the Final Fantasy series, Super Mario RPG, Parasite Eve and published Bushido Blade...and combine it with the company that published the Star Ocean series, the Dragon Warrior seires, and the Valkyrie Profile games...you get this mess.

Does. Not. Compute.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
[quote="ShindoW"]
TitanXL wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Quote:
the rerrelease the same game 100 times, how many releases do FF IV and VI have, by my count close to 10 combined

So you criticize them for this, yet demand an FFVII remake. So which is it, re-releases and ports are bad or good?

I agree with the original quote. I'm tired of the same games getting remade because they really don't need it. FFVIII has aged well for example and FFVI and under have beautiful graphics anyway. VII just needs an update/overhaul. If you don't like what they've done with VII the last few years you can always play the original.

I do agree overall that since XII (and I put down XII and never finished it... didn't get further than maybe 3 hours into XIII)... I haven't loved loved loved a FF game. I did like KH: BBS because it was close to what I was looking for since KH2, but I don't care for the spin off titles like ReCoded at all.

Oh, and Enix just needs to do their own thing again. I loved SO4 btw (although the characters were lackluster compared to 1 and 2... I loved the exploration but not the plot/characters much..). I never picked up VP:CotP because it's a tactics game, which I don't play often (which is why I couldn't get into Disgaea although I'm sure it's amazing). I thought VP had a fine battle system the way it was.

In terms of graphics FF VII certainly looks better than FF IV-VI so I don't see why you "shouldn't remake any games except FF VII". I played the IV remake for the DS and it looks fine. As for the things like porting games like VI those games dont really take a lot of time so its not like XIII versus is getting delayed because VI is being ported to Android phones.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
What I don't get is why the gaming media coverage is so damned butt hurt over FFXIV's launch that they can't report for bollocks on how the game became way better and in fact one of my favorite FF games. Sure, the launch sucked, but guess what, every MMO launch ever has totally sucked, get used to it. They shut down the servers so they can transfer all of the character data from 1.0 to FFXVI 2.0 and are doing a massive overhaul. It looks like it's going to be a great game, but it seems that everyone is just trying really hard to point fingers at SE because of the last few years, when really they should be looking at the new FFXIV and in fact the great storyline and ending to the original FFXIV.

Note, I'm not throwing rocks at any forum goers here with this post, I'm talking about media coverage/journalists, no personal attacks here.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Sleverin wrote:
What I don't get is why the gaming media coverage is so damned butt hurt over FFXIV's launch that they can't report for bollocks on how the game became way better and in fact one of my favorite FF games. Sure, the launch sucked, but guess what, every MMO launch ever has totally sucked, get used to it. They shut down the servers so they can transfer all of the character data from 1.0 to FFXVI 2.0 and are doing a massive overhaul. It looks like it's going to be a great game, but it seems that everyone is just trying really hard to point fingers at SE because of the last few years, when really they should be looking at the new FFXIV and in fact the great storyline and ending to the original FFXIV.

I agree with this quite a bit. I haven't been able to really try out FFXIV, but I remember when XI came out, and the game then is nothing like the game ended up being, and XI is the only MMORPG I've ever loved and go back to constantly. That world stands out to me more than most of the main Final Fantasy games, and it was really fun. Problem is XI is really starting to look dated compared to all the other MMOs out there.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
You realize even the worst selling FF sells better than the best selling Atlus or NIS RPG, right? Those two companies are not really good examples to use since Square already does better than them.

Because losing 5.7 billion Yen = "better" in the Titanverse.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I agree with this quite a bit. I haven't been able to really try out FFXIV, but I remember when XI came out, and the game then is nothing like the game ended up being, and XI is the only MMORPG I've ever loved and go back to constantly. That world stands out to me more than most of the main Final Fantasy games, and it was really fun. Problem is XI is really starting to look dated compared to all the other MMOs out there.

True, XI has been looking dated for years and it had been the complaint of players for years but to do a graphic overhaul of the game at this point is well beyond the games engine and SE's budgeting. Which is too bad, the game is really great and the Chains of Promathia storyline (with the arc of the main storyline and the Rise of the Zilart expansion) have been some of the best FF has to offer. A lot of people just say "LOL MMO FF give me a real FF game nub", which is pretty weak. I understand that MMOs aren't everyone's cup of tea and that XI is particularly punishing, but it's still a solid game.

The FFXIV storyline turned into something great and was, at least in my opinion, was the strongest point for the whole game from the beginning. Sure, they recycled the meter plotline from previous games, in fact it was like FFIV in that the moon held a deadly secret, FFVII in that the moon was floating in the sky as a giant meteor threatening to crash into the planet (totally wicked by the way) and FFVIII in that monster population had a direct correlation to the planets monster population and the end effect was that the meteor does fall causing a pretty amazing ending to the first game. The lore for the game seems to be pretty immense, the dialogue and accents are great...really all the aesthetic tied to the game is fantastic. When 2.0 comes out we'll see if they've tightened up controls and such, since 1.0 had some really horrific limitations that bogged the game down. If those get ironed out, plus all of the planned and being implemented material that's coming up, this is looking to be one damn fine game. It might even recoup some of the losses mentioned in this article. At least, here's to hoping so.

Also, if you want to know about the current FFXIV storyline I can link you to one of the various compilations of all the main storyline cutscenes since all the old storyline is inaccesable in 2.0
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:52 am Reply with quote
The article didn't mention the publishing division at all. I wonder how that is doing lately.

Sakaguchi's departure is, I think, the biggest problem for the gaming side. I wish he hadn't decided to throw in his lot with Microsoft or now, it appears, Nintendo. He seems to be on a personal boycott of Sony, which saddens me as a PS3 owner. I actually enjoy the gameplay in XII quite a bit, but the story, and especially the characters other than Balthier and, to a lesser degree, Fran didn't really engage me like some of the earlier games. I suspect Sakaguchi's departure had something to do with that. XIII was so boring, and the characters so annoying (Snow in particular), that I have no interest in playing the sequels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2