• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk's Ending *Spoilers*

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demonblade508

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:31 am Reply with quote
Hey everyone, I'm new here, but old to anime. Anyways, i just finished up the last 12 episodes of Berserk today after gettin the last 3 DVD's today. (perks of being on vacation) Well, this is definatly up there on my top 5 of all time anime series. But, the ending totally got to me. From what I've read this is the majority of everyone's opinion. I now realize that episode 1 is really the last episode.

But after watching them all, and finally seeing Guts and Caska happy, even for that short time was satisfying. I was hoping for that the whole time. By the time the last couple episodes came around, I just knew this wasn't going to end happily. I can't believe what they did to Caska, Griffith in his new form raping her right in front of the helpless guts. I was on the edge of my seat, and when guts began to swipe at his arm, that was just very powerful. I almost shed a freakin tear for that scene. It really was one of the saddest scenes I have ever seen in an anime.

I was reading that the Manga goes in way further, and that Caska lives and all, which made me feel a little more at ease, but I'm still so...unsatisfied with the ending. I really hate what they did to the characters. I knew it was coming, i just didn't want to accept it. Seeing Griffith after him being tortuted for a year, just gave me chills. I have to say this series has given me the most chills and upset me "emotionally" the most. Very powerful stuff.

I plan on picking up the Dreamcast game to see some of the stuff that happened afterwards, as well as the Graphic novels this fall. But what I'm really hoping for is the studio to make a sequel, seeing as there's a whole other story. I think it would be very sucessful, I think we'd have to be very persistent and start a serious petition to get it going. More of a physical petition than anything. E-petitions dont work. What studio animated Berserk anyways? Was it Anime Works? We could show that there is more than enough interest out there to make it sucessful. I'm sure there's tons of Berserk fans out there. I'm sure with the few thousand each volume sells on DVD that recoops any cost for the studio. Well enough from me on my first post, just venting a bit. How do all of you feel about this.

-Demonblade
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:59 am Reply with quote
Im with ya on this subject. Berserk is one of my favorite animes. It was so cool. Im hoping that they will make another season. Rumors are around that there will be, but nothing has been confirmed.

As for almost crying, I dont see how you could have almost shedded a tear...Berserk isnt that kind of that series. Its just lots of blood and gore. Just killing. I dont think there is anything to almost shed a tear for or feel the way you did. Sure there was some emotion in the anime but it wasnt anything to goodie tosho about. Nothin to to the point of tears.

If you get a thing started just tell me and I'll come and sign it.
nyana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As for almost crying, I dont see how you could have almost shedded a tear...Berserk isnt that kind of that series. Its just lots of blood and gore. Just killing. I dont think there is anything to almost shed a tear for or feel the way you did.

Berserk Eva as I noticed your name, i sure hope you are kidding about your comment.
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:49 am Reply with quote
Berserk is definitely top 10 in my book. Your right that there were emotion between caska and guts. at the end when guts cries, it really wasn't sad it was more anguish like having your heart ripped out. Which to me is a nice change, most emotional aspects I've seen in anime were more along the lines of sadness and despair or grief, But this time it was more violent and fit with the nature of the story. It was more a twenge of emotional pain than the standard sobbing grief. It was great.
The question I have is how are they going to explain how they escape the eclipse in the anime versus the manga version. There is a key character missing from the anime thats in the manga. But who knows, anythings possible.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:58 am Reply with quote
demonblade508 wrote:

I plan on picking up the Dreamcast game to see some of the stuff that happened afterwards, as well as the Graphic novels this fall.
-Demonblade

haven't finished watching Berserk though I have seen bits of the last ep. and have read some of the manga, and have the game... As far as the game goes, I tried to play it, but because I suck at games I couldn't get past Zodd. But my friend palyed the game and he said that it was good and that they keep certain parts of the manga in the game, but I don't think it follows the manga story really...though I could be wrong since I haven't finished the magna...
demonblade508

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:12 pm Reply with quote
well I must say, that in a way it was satisfying to see an anime "end" or rather begin in such an evil way. After watching so many animes and seeing the happy endings and all that, it was good to see something end so wrong. And SkullKnight I agree with you there. I must clarify myself, it wasn't like a sobbing type of emotional thing, it definately was more of a physical thing. Kind of like you could feel his pain. Especially when he starts hacking his arm off. Man that was deep. So desperate to get back the woman he loves, so he hacks his arm off. Part of me wanted to see that happy ending for Guts and Caska, just because they had been through so much. But I guess that moment they had was good too.

As far as them escaping, I know SkullKnight is missing, and he's the one who rescued them, but my only question is... was he in the manga throughout the series? Or did he just appear and save Guts and Caska? Because if they do in fact make a sequel to the anime, they didn't show how they escaped, they just put them back in the normal world. So they could show SkullKnight rescuing them.

What ends up happening with Caska anyway? Someone in another forum had mentioned something like she was in a catatonic state. I can see why, and that would suck. I really liked her character, and hated to see anything bad happen to her. I read that in the manga bad things keep happening to her, like Guts gets put under control by demons and rapes her, but if anyone else can elaborate more, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

-demonblade
kitsune487

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:03 pm Reply with quote
beserk was very good. i enjoyed it!
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes berserk was a great anime, to anwer your question about the magna picking up where the anime left off. Yes it does. However, the magna introduces many other characters and much more character development that the anime misses in the beginning. So to get the full effect of berserk you must read the magna from the begginning or you will be begging for answers. Allthough it is up to you, my sugesstion is to read the magna from the start. I enjoyed the magna very much, I am still enjoying it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I've read the jist of some of the events involving characters that didn't show in the anime. Skullknight shows up a few times before the eclipse. I dont know if they fought and helped train guts but in the anime they made zodd out to be sort of the helper where as skull was in the manga.
Skullknight is definitely an interesting character being sort of a rebel godhand. He hates the others that appear in the eclipse and nearly kills the leader If I remember.

Does anybody know about the desert battle, zodd throws that sword to give to guts. Does skullknight play that role in the manga?
nyana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:01 pm Reply with quote
People when posting something that might give away stuff, please use the spoiler feature. Thats what its there for, it doesn't take long to use and you can make a lot of people happy.
demonblade508

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:25 pm Reply with quote
uh, well the Subject says Berserks Ending *spoilers* so that in itself should be enough, no?
nyana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:37 pm Reply with quote
yes, i'm aware that it says spoilers, however, we also have the new spoiler feature that can be helpful to narrow down things that might reveal more than others might want to see. I'm just asking out of courtesy.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:50 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[In the Manga when Caska is raped by the demon during the eclipse she ends up getting pregnant later on she gives birth to a demon child which crawls off later Griffith is reborn (dont know if the demon child is Griffith) ]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:11 pm Reply with quote
No, if you ask me, the word "ending" in the subject line is more than enough warning in and of itself, and the word "Spoiler" next to it is an additional level of redundancy, so there is zero need to show any "courtesy" towards people who don't want to read about Guts dying in the final episode (from what I hear... haven't seen it myself, but I don't care about knowing spoilers) yet insist on wandering into clearly marked threads where anyone with common sense knows that all shall be revealed. The black "spoiler" text should be reserved for major surprises in threads where someone casually wandering into a thread shouldn't reasonably expect to be spoiled for any given series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:16 pm Reply with quote
nyana wrote:
People when posting something that might give away stuff, please use the spoiler feature. Thats what its there for, it doesn't take long to use and you can make a lot of people happy.

people should still use the spoiler tag when it is possible to do so, yes.

the thread 'tag' is an alternate means of announcing spoilers, but we would prefer using the spoiler bbcode.

as such, even if you label a thread 'spoiler', you should STILL use the spoiler tag as necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3