• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Steel Angel Karumi

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:25 pm Reply with quote
What's the deal with these DVD's? All the episodes seem to be around 15 to 20 minutes long. Is ADV Films editing these things, or were they originally shot in 15 minute increments? Does anyone have an answer to this?
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Koutetsu Tenshi Kurumi, also called 'The Steel Angel Kurumi', was a 24 episode series roughly based on the manga by Kaishaku. Each episode was about 15 minutes in length and was broadcasted by WOWOW; produced by OLM. The first series started on October 5, 1999 and ended April 4, 2000.

source: http://kirito.net/kurumi/index.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hotaru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:26 am Reply with quote
we just watched the first dvd today, and it's pretty good. the english translation really pissed us off though. we watched the behind the scenes thing, and it seems like a totally different series in english! kurumi doesn't get all excited when saki builds the house for them because they can "talk on the phone and gossip about boys"! that's utterly ridiculous! she already proclaimed her love for nakahito, and wouldn't even let him activate saki, even though she wanted him to! arg! dubs really piss me off sometimes!

but the japanese version was good, worth watching. i think having it in 15 min incrimints ain't so bad. sometimes we watch anime at night, so it can seem like forever when you want to get to bed, but have to finish watching a thirty minute episode or what ever. but at the same time, they seem really short too Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeGreen0813

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
The 15 minute running time for each episode of Steel Angel Kurumi is original as is. I'm thinking that maybe the animators had a budget or they wanted to do something different which is why it turned out like it did. I also think this is what made it so good in that it makes you want to keep watching. I can't remember the title of it, but months ago I read about an anime that was 10 minutes per episode (13 I think, I'm unsure). Just when you thought you'd heard everything... Confused
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru wrote:
we just watched the first dvd today, and it's pretty good. the english translation really pissed us off though. we watched the behind the scenes thing, and it seems like a totally different series in english! kurumi doesn't get all excited when saki builds the house for them because they can "talk on the phone and gossip about boys"! that's utterly ridiculous! she already proclaimed her love for nakahito, and wouldn't even let him activate saki, even though she wanted him to! arg! dubs really piss me off sometimes!

Although admittedly it's been a while, I watched the whole series both ways and didn't notice much of a difference. Karinka (the petite blond Steel Angel you've seen in the opener) uses harsher swearing in English and a few things are worded a bit differently but that's about it. The dub is, on the whole, a really strong one which I felt did a great job of capturing the spirit of the series and its characters.

And yes, as others have noted, the episodes are only half-length. 24 13-minute episodes for the main series seemed about right, though.

For those who like the main series, I highly recommend the Encore DVD, which has some of the best content in the whole series. You'll probably be disappointed with the second season, thoguh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JasonSolaris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Hi. Just wondering how Steel Angel compare with Saber Marionette? They seem to be about the same type of subject matter? I heard that Saber Marionette is going to be coming out again the Bandai Anime Legends. Are they the re-pressed versions of the original disc?
Thanks
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
AnimeGreen0813, please do not revive threads that are over 3 and a half years old. Thanks!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1