• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Blu-Ray Players are announced by Sony /Samsung

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camelot187757

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145076.html

Blu-Ray players were announced by Sony and Samsung a while ago. Crying or Very sad The thing is that the players themselves are going to retail at a suggested $999. In the article it also annouced that UMD disc production is being retained because not enough people are buying them. However I am worried (not even joking)that Blu-Ray players will become the norm and blow out DVDs like HDTV's did with the regs. Also, with the announced prices who will switch over to the BD world and abandon their coveted DVDs?

Imagine how some people complain (I sure do) about how much their anime DVD purchases are now even though the highest listed price in the article was $40 (Crash, Devils Rejects). But still $999 for a movie player. Also for a guy that still (yea i said it PG)messes with VHS but kinda messes with DVDs, that a serious change choker.

However i kind of support the BD-player being that a blank BD can store 50GB of stuff, whereas the DVDs that are out now can only hold about 10GB(usually i think i saw a 12GB by Memorex at a Walgreens one time but 12 aint 50). As a guy that..uh..sometimes sells DVDs to people, that whole get more for your USD is a little tempting. However being that the player itself is a G and blank DVDs go for about $32 on a 50pk i do even want to start on how much a pack of blank BRDs will cost (im so cool man I use abreviations for stuff that isn't even out yet Cool)

And another problem that I have is the PS3 that supposed to drop and if they support Blu-Ray technology and the BD player by itself is already $999, how much are the PS3s going to cost when they drop this year (spring?). Now GOD willing the PS3 will be between $300-$400 hundred when it drops, although the article in itself stated $400-and $800 for it, although from a business viewpoint SONY wouldn't gamble on losing out $600 per even if they did want to appeal prices to consumers and simultaneously compete with the XBOX360 with a lesser cost but even I don't wouldn't want to lose out on $600 USD for a launch product (as a side note Microsoft loses only $126 dollars for every XBOX360 sold) so its a matter of risk from SONY's viewpoint. I personally want to see how the market responds to BD-players, BD disks, if PC makers would support BD disc burners (I still haven't seen a UMD burner offered as an option in PCs but who knows) and whether they will hit so hard that it would force the rest of us to throw out are DVD players (I'm still keeping my VCR; f**k you Tivo).

Anyone elses thoughts on this?
DarthLampe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:03 am Reply with quote
All blue-ray and HD-DVD players will be able to play DVD's, so you don't need to get rid of them.
Asuka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
DVDs hold 4.5GB of information. Dual layer DVDs hold 8.4GB, iirc. There isn't any actual variation in the storage capacity, although some manufacturers will do the same crap as hard drive manufacturers and claim 1 GB is 1,000,000,000 bytes instead of 1,073,741,824 bytes to make it look like their product has more space.

The only people who are actually going to buy BR players right away are the "have more money than they know what to do with" videophiles, and critics/reviewers/other industry people. Once burners become available to consumers, regardless of the price, you'll see a high jump in player purchases too. Prices will have dropped on the players by then enough so that people can afford them, although they'll still be really expensive. BR burners aren't going to be out until fall this year, iirc. Might be next year, actually, haven't been following it.
Nionel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
DarthLampe wrote:
All blue-ray and HD-DVD players will be able to play DVD's, so you don't need to get rid of them.

Actually, that's not entirely true...

2.4 Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. Although it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with CDs and DVDs.

Since it's up to the company releasing the player whether or not they want the players to play CDs/DVDs there is a chance that not all BD Players will play those formats. Oh, and that paragraph I posted was copied from blu-ray.com

camelot187757 wrote:
Imagine how some people complain (I sure do) about how much their anime DVD purchases are now even though the highest listed price in the article was $40 (Crash, Devils Rejects)

Yeah, BD is going to be expensive right out of the gate. But keep in mind that DVD wasn't exactly cheap when the format was introduced. Anyway, here's a further example of pricing, again borrowed from blu-ray.com

The first wave, available at retail on May 23, will include Crash and Lord of War, priced at a $39.99 SRP, and The Punisher, Saw and Terminator 2: Judgment Day, marked at a $29.99 SRP. The second wave with five additional titles will follow shortly thereafter with a June/July date still to be determined. These BD titles include Reservoir Dogs, Total Recall, Stargate and Frank Herbert's Dune priced at $29.99, while The Devil's Rejects will be available at a $39.99 SRP.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Whichever format wins the high definition DVD wars (and I ain't buying until one does... and until I get an HDTV, which won't be for years) will be to traditional DVD what Laserdisc was to VHS: a viable niche format for high-end videophiles, but DVD will still be the standard video format for everyone else for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DarthLampe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
[Use the Edit button. Do not double post. -Nagi]
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Whichever format wins the high definition DVD wars (and I ain't buying until one does... and until I get an HDTV, which won't be for years) will be to traditional DVD what Laserdisc was to VHS: a viable niche format for high-end videophiles, but DVD will still be the standard video format for everyone else for a while.

Actually I'm not real big on the HD TV or the HDDVDs. I feel that there is no real difference as far as animation goes when I am judging picture. I won't ever buy an HDTV because I feel its a rip and I am fine with watching my anime on a regular tv from 99. However you are wrong about DVDs my friend. VHS will never die.

And even if they will be Backwards Combatible, I still don't wanna pay $999 to play the same crap I've been looking at for the past 6 years. If the picture doesn't look like some 5 Dimensional sh*t when it drops I will be very very pissed.

As far as burners go, I'm am still wondering about whether or not they are ever gonna drop the a UMD burner for PCs. If sony wants to complain that noone is buying their UMDs, I am sure that they will have a serious spike in prices when people go "Hey I can Take my own DVD movies and stick em on my UMDs. I need to take a trip to Walgreens and get some Blank UMDs". SO yea you're right Asuka they probably won't relase a BD burner this year but they still need some kind of
incentive to get people to blow away 4 months of a Paycheck on a Movie Player.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
the ps3 comes with one standard, and it's supposed to be 400 to 500. hell of a deal if you ask me.

i'm sure they're gonna go down in price eventually. most likely dvd will become the next VHS.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The thing is that the players themselves are going to retail at a suggested $999.
My first DVD player cost me $1275 which is about the same as a Blu-ray, yet DVDs eventually caught on as will Blu-Ray.
Quote:
However I am worried (not even joking)that Blu-Ray players will become the norm and blow out DVDs like HDTV's did with the regs.
Although it's getting hard to buy non-HDTVs their are still many who use good old NTSC.
Quote:
Also, with the announced prices who will switch over to the BD world and abandon their coveted DVDs?
Why would you abandon the DVDs you have already purchased? I still have my Laser Disc collection which I still watch every so often. I stopped buying new LDs when DVDs came out, but I didn't abandon my LD collection.
Quote:
Now GOD willing the PS3 will be between $300-$400 hundred when it drops, although the article in itself stated $400-and $800 for it, although from a business viewpoint SONY wouldn't gamble on losing out $600 per
I believe the PS2 also went for about $400 at launch, and as stated before my first DVD player cost over $1000. DVD players were really expensive in the 90s. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that they dropped under $50.
Quote:
if PC makers would support BD disc burners
Sony is planning on releasing a Vaio with a Blu-Ray DVD player in it. Apple is one of Blu-Ray's bigger sponser. Microsoft, NEC, and Toshiba are sided with HDDVD though.
Quote:
whether they will hit so hard that it would force the rest of us to throw out are DVD players (I'm still keeping my VCR; f**k you Tivo).
Once again, why would you throw out your DVD player? Like the VHS/Beta/Laser Disc era, titles will be released in both formats. Having one major video format is unique to these last five years. It's gotten to the point that titles like Samurai 7 and GITS SAC are being released in two packages for the same format! There are so many Critereon, Super Bit, and collectors editions out there, the market is screaming for a secondary high end format. I'm surprised that the Honneamise line of DVDs took so long.
DarthLampe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Once burners become available to consumers, regardless of the price, you'll see a high jump in player purchases too.

Not sure what you mean here. Most of the ones coming out are burners. If you mean drives for the PC, Sony's coming out with a line of Vaio that has the tech and a few other PC companies will most likely follow.

Quote:
Actually, that's not entirely true...

Okay, so it's 99.9% true. Might as well say all of them are gonna be, since the BDA(Which is made up of all the companies that will introduce the players) said they will push for the compatibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1