• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is ZOIDS worth my while?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:39 am Reply with quote
I enjoy plot driven mecha shows like Gundam, Overman King Gainer and even Gowgaigar.

I am just wondering if ZOIDS is going to be worth looking at. Any opinions on the ZOID fanchise?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:03 am Reply with quote
Depends on the series. I'm not very experienced with the Zoids franchise, but of the three I've seen, only one was actually plot oriented in a way that a fan of Gundamesque programming might enjoy. The series released as Zoids: Chaotic Century in the US (I believe it was just called "Zoids" in Japan, but don't hold me to that) was set in some sort of future-fantasy type setting where warring kingdoms used the robots to wage war against one another. It's been a while since I've seen it and the details are a bit sketchy to me, but it was the more plot-heavy of the ones I've seen.

The other two, named Zoids and Zoids Fuzors in the US (Zoids I know carrying the title "Zoids/Zero" in Japan) were—or at least seemed to be in Fuzors' case—a bit closer to IGPX in that they were more people using these animal-shaped robots to engage in some sort of sporting event. An elimination tournament, I believe, where teams would compete against one another.

Then there's some other new Zoids series in Japan right now whose name I forget completely that seems to be plot oriented. Not entirely sure, all I know is that the moe crowd's gone absolutely nutter for one of the female leads. Laughing

Anyway, that's as far as I can tell you. Someone else more experienced with the franchise could go into greater detail than I can, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote
The new one is called Zoids: Genesis and is more along the lines of the first series, with warring nations and that sort of thing.

Fair warning though, the Zoids franchise is definately aimed at a young demographic. If memory serves, it's a case of "show based on toyline". Not that that's horrible, as I still enjoy it, but I would consider it equal to the likes of Gundam, but it's a good fix of giant robot action.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:21 am Reply with quote
I'm a pretty big Zoid fan myself, since it was the first anime I saw and enjoyed on Cartoon Network. As others have said, the original series Chaotic Century is the most plot-oriented. It has a great story, with pretty decent character development, and despite being a kid's show, it gets a little intense toward the end. Again, it is a kid's show, but it's a very enjoyable one at that, with even a little substance.

New Century has the best animation of the series, and some really great battles. However, the story is very mindless and episodic, so don't expect too much from it than action and occasional comedy.

I only saw the first 13 episodes of Zoids Fuzors and hated it, but supposedly it gets better later on.

The latest series is Zoids Genesis, which has just started being fansubbed and looks very promising. It's more akin to CC, with an epic, overarching plot.
RedComet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
I remember enjoying it on Cartoon Network. I can't remember but didn't it get put eventually at 6am or around that in the morning even before they finished showing all the episodes?
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Okay. I might check it out then.

Thank you for your replies.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Started watching ZOIDS GENESIS last night.
I enjoyied what I saw.

About the only thing that I did not like in this show was the ZOID ACTIVATION thing where the Zoid will activate only to the right person. I found that a little B.Sy.
Is this some thing that happens in all of the ZOIDS series?

The entire franchise at a glance, I think that the Ligers are showcases a little too much.

Anyways, I think i can grow to like this Mecha Franchise. It's some thing definatly worth looking at while we wait for MSGSeed Series 3.
Hideyuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
The Ligers are sort of Zoid's Pikachu, it's a sort of corner stone. CC had the sheild/blade, Zero had well.... Zero, and I dunno what Fuzors had... as I couldn't stand it.

Not really, the activation thing is't a constant... in Zero the main character is the only one who Zero will respond to if I remember right, and in CC, the main character has a companion... something or another, his name is Zeke. And he is used to like, boost the power....

Fuzors is a mystery to me O.o
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Fuzors had Liger Zero again, for some reason. I only watched for long enough to say "Hey, that's Liger Zero".

Also, Zoids are often implied to have some semblence of intelligence, even if it only comparable to animals, which might explain their pickyness.
maskedninja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Fuzors even though its not that great a series is worth a look. Ligar is in it and can fuze with some bird or watever so yeah its interesting but doesnt have a very good storyline.
PeaceMaker1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Fuzors a terrible, in my opinion. Although that girl with that brown hair was hot.
AHZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like Fuzors, but the other two were really entertaining.

I didn't like Chaotic Century at first, but I gave it a chance--mostly because there was nothing else to watch at 6:00am when they CN aired it--and I got hooked on it.

I don't know how many episodes of Chaotic Century there were, but it seemed long, and you actually got to see the characters grow from kids to young adults. I give it my seal of approval.

The other series, which was just called "Zoids" was more whimsical. But, I like whimsical and thus this was my favorite zoids series so far. (I have no idea if they're making any new ones) Not much of a story, but I still liked it. I'd at least give this series and Chaotic Century a rent.
opaquescum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I beleive he is refering to the organoid system. Not all Zoids are organoid equiped. Liger zero is a zoid that happens to be a organoid.

From the zoids I watched and I even got one DVD. Organoids are rare and highly valuable. Think of them as a pilot booster they anticipate and augment the pilot. In other words the organoid wants a partner not a pilot, and it wants a pilot that compliments it.

Anyway give it some time the concept grows on you. I think its one of the better selling points of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1