• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Successful Anime Endings....

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so we have a thread on Anime endings that DON'T work.
So how about the ones that really bring the series in full circle and do it well?

I really have a respect for good writing and there are some Animes out there that are really brillantly written. I'll say some of the ones that i think work off the top of my head...

Paranoia Agent-

Satoshi Kon is such a genious, this series end just when it should and it answers enough questions to satify the audience, and leaves some unanswered for us to figure out ourselvs, really works i think.

Boogiepop Phantom-

Ok This one some may disagree with. But i still stand by the fact that this is one of the most brillant pieces of character writing i have seen. Not to mention the plot is so well written in that non-linear form. I really do feel the ending, while not being direct in its form, really closes the series up very well.

Now And Then Here And There-
One of the best Anime Endings i have ever seen, if not the best ending have seen. The character are so brillantly written and you really feel the story speeding to its conclusion in the final episodes. At the End You really feel the change the main character went though. You really feel the experence

Rahxephon-

A really diffrent ending, but you really feel that all the series set up, pays off in the final few episodes, and you see what comes of all the characters.

Well those are some of mine, what about you guys?

Last edited by Rion on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I believe threads like this don't belong here. There are sites with the ability for people to put their personal reviews so it doesn't get buried into the depths of the forum in a week or two at most. Reviews like these also tend to be short and incomplete, and they end up being more biased than when people are asked to put their reviews at a place where it's more permanent.

But, it's a forum, there are worse threads.

/Mods, consider it a subtle way of asking "will ANN ever have a 'review section' available for each anime?" like they do in some "fansub hub" sites.

I don't like closed endings. Where all loose strings are tied and there's nothing more to continue. Life isn't that simple, especially when the main character's not even 30 yet. But I also don't like "expect a second season" ending like Tenjou Tenge, especially when there is no second season. So...

Elfen Lied - Definitely the most appropriate ending for a great series. It's the first anime I ever saw and the ending was so great that the ending of the next anime I saw, Fullmetal Alchemist, seemed not as great as it was when I watched it for the second time. The ending of Elfen Lied was just that much more powerful.

Honey and Clover - Usually a drama anime like this has some kind of ending (ie: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien). But this is beyond "drama". It's a realistic anime that portrays life the way it actually is. The ending wasn't great like Elfen Lied nor was it as surprising as Fullmetal Alchemist - it was plain and simple, like life.

But it's not like harem anime don't have successful endings. If I liked the anime overall, then I consider the ending "successful". I just consider the two titles mentioned above to have superior endings.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
I believe threads like this don't belong here. There are sites with the ability for people to put their personal reviews so it doesn't get buried into the depths of the forum in a week or two at most. Reviews like these also tend to be short and incomplete, and they end up being more biased than when people are asked to put their reviews at a place where it's more permanent.

But, it's a forum, there are worse threads.

/Mods, consider it a subtle way of asking "will ANN ever have a 'review section' available for each anime?" like they do in some "fansub hub" sites.

There's a "comment" field for titles that you've added to MyAnime. Use that. And if you want to seriously contact ANN, then try the "Contact us" link on the left.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, Trigun has the most perfect and satisfying ending for any anime series. They really nailed it and I felt the character's journey and arc was complete. This is something Nightow, the original creator, was never able to do in the manga.
Xebek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebeop

Even though for a series with 5 of the episodes actually dealing with overall main plot it still is truly a great anime. The main character is very likable, being all suave and cool while keeping a reality of him having a godly amount of power where some of the fights may seem pointless. The ending is what truly sticks out to me most of the time though, even though spoiler[the main character dies in the end, it is not only a great death but in it nothing is left unconcluded, he ends up completing his goal, and in death ends up with the woman he loved. "Bang" last thing he says, while smiling and then dies] is just an ending that seemed to work.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I could have sworn that I left a post on here, but since I'm sick (AGAIN) I could be seeing/remembering things that aren't there.

My choices would be Sailor Moon Sailor Stars since the good guys win, the "bad" guys are redeemed and everyone is happy (sue me, I'm easy to please Very Happy ).

Another one for me would be Angelic Layer - spoiler[Misaki and her mother are together at last.]

And Pretear - See Sailor Stars above.
Greennunu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Honey and Clover - Has probably one of the most memorable endings, specially that little ending speech Takemoto Gave.

Now and Then Here and There - One of the first few powerful anime I've seen, some of the scenes still stick to my head this day. They wrapped the ending up very nicely.

Kare Kano - I Assumed this to be a happy ending, left some knots untied and up to the viewers discretion(sp?), good little speech by Miazawa(sp?) near the end, one of the few romance(as a main category not a sub) anime I really enjoyed.

RahXephon - I don't think anyone can really disagree who have watched this series, one of the few anime that accomplished "happily ever after" ending that isn't recycled.
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Neon Genesis Evangelion- Ending was on the right key(Some just dont understand it) *Puts on Flame Suit*

Elfen Lied- Perfect ending, enveryone was together, living happily.

Those Who Hunt Elves- Ended great, the THHE's squad was all back togther reading to continue.

Aquarian Age - Brilliant ending, Yokko was saved and lived happily.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball GT - Granted, the series wasn't as good as DB/DBZ, but the ending was very emotional and wrapped up/summed up the Dragon Ball story perfectly.

Trigun - A tad open ended, but I was satisfied.

Macross - One of the most emotionally satisfiying endings I've ever seen, not to mention one of the best anime series I've ever seen.

Rurouni Kenshin
- I know I'm in the minority here, but episode 95 was a great way to end the series, even if it strayed from the manga. It shows our characters finally at peace and enjoying their lives. A very quiet, serene episode and I loved every second. In fact, I re-watched it last night.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
NeonGEvangelion wrote:

You sure you're talking about the right anime? Because spoiler[Nyu/Lucy never did come back. That figure at the last scene was supposed to be ambiguous; it was not indicating a happy reunion.]
cerealkilllerr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:44 am Reply with quote
got to agree with Xebek. Cowboy Bebop was not only one of the greatest series ever, but it's ending was so surprising and brilliant. ( Crying or Very sad why did you have to die Spike?)
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote
I really liked the ending of Gekiganger III. I mean, it had everything. Absolutely everything you could ask for from a series.

And Giant Robo. The ending there was great for throwing a curve ball at you.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote
Basilisk
just finished it recently, and it's honestly one of best anime finales i've seen in a very long time. there was a little too much fanservice, and some slow moments, but the ending was so worth it.
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
Couple not mentioned yet:

Kino's Journey Kinda the anti Cowboy Beebop ending in that Kino spoiler[visits her favorite country, wants to stay a few extra days but is refused. She leaves, and that night she see's a volcano erupt and bury the country, killing everyone but Kino and Hermes. Everyone but the protaganists die, the opposite of Beebob.]

X/tv perfect way how the prophecy of Dragon's of Earth victory is kept yet prevented at the same action.

All the Best,

Nani?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
NeonGEvangelion wrote:

You sure you're talking about the right anime? Because spoiler[Nyu/Lucy never did come back. That figure at the last scene was supposed to be ambiguous; it was not indicating a happy reunion.]

It was left open to interpretation. It was somewhat ambiguous, but it was supposed to be Lucy. Whether they would have lived happily after that, is up to the individual.

The manga, however, keeps going. And from what I understand, it is not a 'happy' ending. I hear spoiler[Kouta has to kill Lucy] in the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2