• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
is Last Exile worth a shot?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote
as far as a decent action/fantasy/shouen series (ever since i got deeper into bleach, im really liking this kind of stuff more) is this worth a shot? it looks good, sounds a bit interesting, cool looking art...what do you think of it?

Good thing here, is my friend owns some of this (i believe it's anime, unless there's a manga adaption....)
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Uhm, I don't think this is really Shounen at all. Like, it's not shounen, and I don't believe it really even halfway fits.

Anyway, it's very good. The art is amazing. The story is very well done with memorable characters. There isn't a whole lot to say. Just look at it in the database and I bet it has very high ratings. Almost anyone that's seen it rates it as a must watch show.
2Real

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
If you are looking for some shounen, I'd sujest Samurai Deeper Kyo and Samurai 7.

Even though this show isn't a shounen I would still recomend watching it. It has a very well done story along with visuials. I don't want to go to indepth into the story so I will leave it at that. I dont wan't to ruin it for you incase you decide to watch it. The best thing I can tell you is when I got done watching it I was satisfied with how it turned out, I don't regret watching it, and I will probly watch it again in the future when I'm waiting for something to watch.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I find it intersting that this question is asked so frequently. Is there something about the promos that would scare people away from this series? I for one think this is one of Gonzo's best projects to date. It resembles many of the classic Final Fantasy games in setting. The CG and 2D blend together very nicely. The BGM is awesome. I will however warn you that it isn't as shonen as shows like Dragon Ball, Kenshin, or One Piece. I would rather place it in a category along side with Nadia or Eden's Bowy. Although it has shonen elements it isn't from the pages of Jump, and doesn't center around non-stop challenges.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
as far as a decent action/fantasy/shouen series (ever since i got deeper into bleach, im really liking this kind of stuff more) is this worth a shot? it looks good, sounds a bit interesting, cool looking art...what do you think of it?

Good thing here, is my friend owns some of this (i believe it's anime, unless there's a manga adaption....)

Last Exile is "teh win" as far as making the list of Excellent Anime. Not sure it's that shounen, but it's got drama, action, excellent art, and lots of great arial sequences, and an awesome story and cast to boot.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
If you are looking for some shounen, I'd sujest Samurai Deeper Kyo and Samurai 7.

Even though this show isn't a shounen I would still recomend watching it. It has a very well done story along with visuials. I don't want to go to indepth into the story so I will leave it at that. I don't wan't to ruin it for you incase you decide to watch it. The best thing I can tell you is when I got done watching it I was satisfied with how it turned out, I don't regret watching it, and I will probly watch it again in the future when I'm waiting for something to watch.

Thanks for all the replies guys! (and checking back it got very high rtings indeed)

i've alrady had the privelage of seeing Samurai 7, Samurai Deeper Kyo, and Samurai Champloo. maybe shouen was the wrong word. i was wondering if this could fill the void that requires a good well thought out story, with fun characters and a bit of action.

and to answer an earlier asked, what i believe to be rethorical question; yes, the promos scared me in ways inexplicable Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink

howevere sounds like this is good...now, to go see if that was anime or just manga....
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
This is a must see. I enjoyed the heck out of this. Just as a heads up, if you're a crier like I am Very Happy Wink have tissue handy! Exclamation The animation is incredible, mostly computer I think, but it is blended in VERY well. The American voice cast is excellent, Johnny Yong Bosch is Claus and Crispin Freeman (yay!) is Alex Row. I think that you'll enjoy it.
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I can't recommend Last Exile enough. It is one of the best series I've ever seen, hands-down. And I've seen a lot of anime. I don't think it gets nearly enough credit.

In other words: See it now.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
I was wondering if this could fill the void that requires a good well thought out story, with fun characters and a bit of action.

Yup, pretty much. And the art is wonderful too, giving it a very high rewatch value. Last Exile is one of my favorites. As LydiaDianne warns, however, one of the subplots turns pitch black near the end of the series, so be prepared for some extremely wrenching tragedy and be aware that the whole series isn't going to be light.

And please, do tell us what scared you so we can confirm or deny. I'm so curious now! Wink
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
NyuuChan wrote:
I was wondering if this could fill the void that requires a good well thought out story, with fun characters and a bit of action.

Yup, pretty much. And the art is wonderful too, giving it a very high rewatch value. Last Exile is one of my favorites. As LydiaDianne warns, however, one of the subplots turns pitch black near the end of the series, so be prepared for some extremely wrenching tragedy and be aware that the whole series isn't going to be light.

And please, do tell us what scared you so we can confirm or deny. I'm so curious now! Wink

._.

nothing scared me, i was joking because someone said this earlier....

"I find it intersting that this question is asked so frequently. Is there something about the promos that would scare people away from this series?"

i was kidding. The promos do it some justice actually.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And please, do tell us what scared you so we can confirm or deny. I'm so curious now!

Probabally some of the nay-sayers here who dislike the series for some reason. I'm sure they'll explain.

It's an awesome show in my opinion, I saw it on TechTV and bought it. Good story, interesting characters, love the music, and the annimation is impressive. All in all it creates a cool atnosphere with the steam tech, and an interesting universe. I'm also a sucker for aerial combat and airships though so I loved that aspect of it.
Assassin_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:28 am Reply with quote
I've heard very good things about this series. I've never seen it myself, but I intend to invest in the DVDs as soon as I have the money to do so.

Quote:
In other words: See it now.

lol

Quote:
I'm also a sucker for aerial combat

Yeh me to actaully. Thats one of the reasons why I love Macross.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
only flight centered anime i've seen was area 88, which was actually, very good in my opinion.
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll have to go the other way and say it's a mediocre anime.

It's got the flash and the bazaaaz and a plot that had promise, but it's one of those really nicely animated series with characters you don't care for.

I felt no sorrow for the dead characters and wished more were kileld. The love stories of minor characters were so seemless, it was like they only put precut characters just to use airtime nobody cares about.

Plus a lot of the episodes are boring and incoherent beyond means. I had to go to online forums to read spoilers just to understand what the heck was going on because the writing is so bad.

I don't mind slightly open endings, but this ending is one of those that you have to read a forum to understand. It doesn't make much sense when you actually watch it without knowing the spoilers. Bad, bad writing.

And I'm such an Escaflowne fan. Go for Escaflowne instead which has the good things LE lacks. For one I felt the likes for absolutely even the most minor character in Esca. I feel so sorry that such a cute character like Dio wasn't in a better anime.

I haven't watched every middle episode, but I doubt it will change my view of this series. The worst was that I had huge expectations of this anime before seeing it.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
sailornyanko wrote:
I guess I'll have to go the other way and say it's a mediocre anime.

It's got the flash and the bazaaaz and a plot that had promise, but it's one of those really nicely animated series with characters you don't care for.

I felt no sorrow for the dead characters and wished more were kileld. The love stories of minor characters were so seemless, it was like they only put precut characters just to use airtime nobody cares about.

Plus a lot of the episodes are boring and incoherent beyond means. I had to go to online forums to read spoilers just to understand what the heck was going on because the writing is so bad.

I don't mind slightly open endings, but this ending is one of those that you have to read a forum to understand. It doesn't make much sense when you actually watch it without knowing the spoilers. Bad, bad writing.

And I'm such an Escaflowne fan. Go for Escaflowne instead which has the good things LE lacks. For one I felt the likes for absolutely even the most minor character in Esca. I feel so sorry that such a cute character like Dio wasn't in a better anime.

I haven't watched every middle episode, but I doubt it will change my view of this series. The worst was that I had huge expectations of this anime before seeing it.

meh well, i have to say, i really didn't like what i saw of escaflowne. (which was movie+first few eps. of series) it was ok, deff. not the worst i have seen by any means....but i've seen alot of better stuff....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2