• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime Dubs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kin7cato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Its very obvious that most people consider Subs superior over Dubs.[Even though they can't speak Japanese or even understand some of the concepts]

And I am with that group. However I wanted to know what people consider to be the best anime dubs.

The best anime Dubs I have heard are probably Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing.

Cowboy Bebop's Dub is great all the way through the show. All the character's are well done and I feel its pretty close to the original sub.

Hellsing has a few voice actors that I think are supberb.

Crispin Freeman that plays Alucard. Very Well done. I think it may even be better than the sub. I can't imagine Alucard in Dub without Crispin Freeman.

Also the person that played Yan Valentime. The voice actor for Yan has got to be one of the most unique and twisted characters I have heard. I thought it was hilarious. It was quite possibly the best dub moment I've heard.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
OOH! Nice choice of subject! Very Happy

My choice would be Witch Hunter Robin. Crispin Freeman( Smile ) Is one of my favorite American voice actors. He did an excellent job as Amon in this series. I think that all the voices actors did an excellent job matching the voice to the character. Wendee Lee, whom I've mostly heard as young girls, did an excellent job as Karasuma.

Another, one would be Cardcaptor Sakura the Movie 2: The Sealed Card. (Another one by Geneon! Could this be a coincidence? Shocked Laughing ) The voice work on this one matched the characters as well.

For a third, I would say Fullmetal Alchemist just because.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I liked Fruits Basket. Two or three voices were annoying, but the rest I found were extremely good.

FLCL. Psh, awesome.

Full Metal Panic. I listened to the dub first. I always watch a show dubbed if 1: It's not terrible and 2: I haven't seen it before in japanese. Anyway, I really loved Kaname's voice(though she did seem a bit bitchy sometimes, heh), but what really sold me was Sousuke. I found his japanese voice to be pretty run of the mill. Sounds like any other japanese voice that I've heard and had no problems with. His english voice fit SO well though. He was short and concise. Spoke quickly, pretty monotone. "Miss Kaname, I'd appreciate if you stop that." Etc. Of course that's kind of script dependant too, but I thought he was awesome. Especially when he really angers and gets into the moment, the difference is amazing.

Maybe I'll think of some later.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
To go with yet more Crispin Freeman praise, he was in two of my top dubs, Wolf's Rain and X (TV).

Gundam Wing and Escaflowne both have decent dubs (as decent as the subtitle scripts anyway...though I do have to admit, I find Dilandau's voice to be rather miscast, though the actor does a good job with the role).

Finally, I just adore the Trigun dub, I find it funnier for an English audience than the sub.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, to add another Crispin Freeman anime, I would say Scrapped Princess. He did an excellent job portraying Shannon, one minute very bored, the next yelling at Pacifica. Bridget Hoffman did a very good job as Raquel, playing the very vague but powerful mage.
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. You can tell both casts are having a blast in their roles. I think the setting has something to do with it, too. With the western feel, the English dialouge just seems more natural. (Of course, great performances help, too. Wink)

I know some people may disagree with me, here, but I also loved the Gensoumaden Saiyuki dub. Again, they sound like they're having fun. Particularly when Gojyo and Goku bicker. Some minor dialouge was altered (mostly fighting/trash talk), but nothing that messed with the plot, so it never bothered me much. But I've heard complaints, so... Rolling Eyes

I've only seen one volume, but the Loki Ragnarok dub is very good so far. Loki sounds a wee bit too feminine, but not enough to ruin the whole thing. I'll probably watch the next few dubbed.

Honorable mention going to GetBackers. Wink Most of the main cast is amazing. However, there's two or three voices that ruin it for me. Most of the female cast just don't feel right to me. (Hevn's voice, for example, always sounded kinda flat.) And then there's Juubei, who sounds horribly flat in the serious moments but excellent in the dorky moments (Loved him in the hospital episode). But I'd reccomend it to anyone who can forgive a couple so-so voices in a dub.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
rajamitsu wrote:

I know some people may disagree with me, here, but I also loved the Gensoumaden Saiyuki dub. Again, they sound like they're having fun. Particularly when Gojyo and Goku bicker. Some minor dialouge was altered (mostly fighting/trash talk), but nothing that messed with the plot, so it never bothered me much. But I've heard complaints, so... Rolling Eyes

By which company? ADV or GENEON?
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
rajamitsu wrote:

By which company? ADV or GENEON?

ADV. My bad. Embarassed

I'm not fond of the RELOAD dub. They sound like they're trying way too hard to be the original cast.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
Kin7cato wrote:
Its very obvious that most people consider Subs superior over Dubs.[Even though they can't speak Japanese or even understand some of the concepts]

That comment is accurate if you tack on an "in these forums" or "in online forums" or "in the hardcore fan community." In the general anime-watching and anime-purchasing populace dubs are vastly preferred over subs, as has been repeatedly proven by sales and viewership figures.

As for the main topic, this comes up every few months in this forum. Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, Fruits Basket, Fullmetal Alchemist, Trigun, and Full Metal Panic! are titles that are regularly mentioned when top English dubs of anime are discussed, as are most dubs of Miyazaki films (I say "yes" on Spirited Away and Nausicaa but have always found Princess Mononoke to be a mixed bag). Neon Genesis Evangelion and Inuyasha also comes up a lot; I would certainly place both (especially NGE) among the best, though they are more controversial calls in the general community.

Other series not yet mentioned that that have excellent English dubs include Gantz, Mahoromatic, Bubblegum Crisis 2040, and especially Steel Angel Kurumi. There are numerous others that have a few strong performances but aren't consistently top-rate.

Last edited by Key on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
Besides the commonly mentioned titles, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, etc, I liked the Yu Yu Hakusho English dub. I thought the characters were all portrayed very well and the acting part was very good. Same with InuYasha and Ranma 1/2.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
I think Funimation's dub of Gunslinger Girl is just amazing. The women doing the voices of the girls really convey the sadness of the girls' lives without managing to break character. The voice of Rico is particularly well done given the character's inherant innocense and naivete. Her main episode early in the series really pulls at the heart even though you see the ending coming mile away.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:18 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, I definitely agree with Yu Yu Hakusho. I totally forgot about this one.

I liked the main cast pretty well and some of the support characters. Slight spoiler spoiler[Teenager Koenma(is that how you spell it? haven't watched the show in awhile) sounded extremely serious and to the point whenever he needed to be] But anyway, I think Yusuke is one of my most favorite characters of all time because of his voice actor. He did an excellent job. A real punk, serious, angry yet always able to laugh and be actually funny; his voice was awesome.
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:17 am Reply with quote
I agree with most of the regular big titles being listed here (Trigun, Fruits Basket, Miyazaki films, Bebop, FLCL, etc.) but I thought I'd add a couple. Karekano's dub is amazing to me. Usually when I see the Japanese version first, I get a little attatched to those voices, but after seeing Karekano dubbed I didn't care at all, the actors are well-cast and do an excellent job. I also love dubs that seem like the actors had a lot of fun and really got into their roles. Two wacky examples of this would be Shinesman (the classic that pretty much everyone agrees the dub is better) and Elf Princess Raine. The Fake OAV had some cheesy writing, but was really well acted- D and Bicky were perfect. An old dub that's still great is Macross Plus- you can tell it's most of the same cast that went on to do Cowboy Bebop, but it's a little rougher around the edges. The Petshop of Horrors OAV series was also pretty well-dubbed in my opinion, sort of along the same lines as Fake.

Sorry if this post is a little incoherent, it's late.. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Landon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:51 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
I think Funimation's dub of Gunslinger Girl is just amazing.

Cool, someone else that likes Gunslinger Girl's dub. I really liked Triela's english voice, especially in comparison to her annoying, grating, cutsey voice in the original Japanese version. Also, I'd kill to see this series dubbed in Italian. That would rock.

Another overlooked series that has a good dub is Heat Guy J. Like Hellsing and Bebop, its another series that "feels" right in English, and the actors do a pretty decent job.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:42 am Reply with quote
Tenchi Muyo Movie 1 - Tenchi In Love.
Petty the voice actors went back to shit with the TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3