• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The most Unintentional funny anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kin7cato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote
The most unintentionally funniest anime i have seen is probably the original Fist of the North Star Movie. I have never seen people explode in so many different ways in my life. It was hilarious. And utterly ridiculous.

The fact that it was dubbed made the movie even funnier. You could really tell that the voice actors were bored.
Ken the main character screamed the same lines over and over when he punched.

I had a hard time telling that it was serious.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say that, so far, the Legend of Crystania; the Chaos Ring (OVA) is second place. The plot and dialogue are incredibly forced and fake and the english VA's are, well, to quote the [url=animenewsnetwork.com/reviews/display.php?id=285]review[url]: "like a Keano Reves festival." The Japanese actors aren't as bad, though, and the subtitles are much better than the enlgish dialogue.

The first place, however, goes out to Generator Gawl. I got this one for free and am almost tempted to buy some more of it, because the translation difference between the english voices and the subtitles is just amazing.
example:
spoiler[english - "well, for 3 months, I would stay with Maralin Manson, Janis Joplin and Jonny Depp on a bender [more explination to the situation that I don't remember] and if that's not reason enough, think of the cat."
subtitle: "even though its only autumn, its already cold outside"]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Haha thats a great spoiler. I love it when they Americanize a dub to death like that (as long as the sub stays true to form). Hilarious, I might have to check that out.

I cant really say I've seen alot of anime that was unintentionally funny, besides maybe stuff shown on TV Saturday morn that I wandered by.

Except maybe in Spirited Away when the girl is chanting GIMME A JOB... for some reason that cracks everyone up that watches it and I think it was supposed to be a more gripping moment than a giggle fest.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
kittycatgirl2k wrote:
Haha thats a great spoiler. I love it when they Americanize a dub to death like that (as long as the sub stays true to form). Hilarious, I might have to check that out.

You should also check out Ghost Stories, since it has a parody dub that adds a ton of Americanized and risqué jokes to a relatively bland kids' show. The subtitles are faithful to the original (just make sure you choose the correct track).

Madlax felt unintentionally funny, and I think I'll let someone else sum it up:

A review at an unlinkable site wrote:

The last 4 episodes of Madlax are funnier than most anime comedies. Madlax is an absolutely splendid parody of slow moving action/fantasy/dramas, in the same vein as The Golden Child (Asian kid with magical powers, flying dragons, mythical demons, and Eddie Murphy seeing this ridiculous world through the most cynical eyes.), and The Princess Bride. There’s one problem, however; Madlax was never intended to be a parody. The only enjoyment to be found in Madlax is the kind you bring with you. I enjoyed Madlax in the same way I enjoyed such films as Armageddon, Godzilla, and Troy; by ridiculing them mercilessly.

Especially around episodes 23 and 24 when spoiler[they start making the world go crazy by using books, amidst endless talk of "the truth behind truths." Oh, and who could forget the laughable scene when Madlax, fanserviced-up in the evening gown, defeats roughly 20,000 soldiers and a tank batallion with just her two pistols Rolling Eyes]

Marmalade Boy also makes me want to give it the MST:3K treatment sometimes (and I always switch off the MST:3K/cynicism switch in my brain when watching anime), though overall, I do like Marmalade Boy.
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Come on, all time classic? MD GEIST and its sequel. How gloriously bad, where animation frames of dead bodies would glitch up and down several inches, people got stabbed in the forehead, would continue to talk, and then bleed out their eyes (what??), and a completely nonsensical plot. Not to mention Geist's spinny do-hickies on his suit that do nothing. Then the sequel (the fantastic dub of it), in the first 5 minutes, a man screams out an explanation of the entire first OAV while dying. The Fist of the North Star dub gets a lot of points in unintentional hilarity, but MD Geist is timeless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Speed Racer's dub is always funny. I bought the DVD's just for fun cause I found them for only $4 at Fry's. It's so horrible it always makes me laugh. It's classic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1