• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion #1 at Amazon - Sort of...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kureejiieshi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote
My biggest tif is with FYE.

They had a marked special on there site that labeled the boxset as $9.99 on a special promo price.

I contacted the customer service people before ordering and they said yes indeed that was the price.

So I ordered, 5 copies, because hell they varified it.

Then they send me an email saying it's 'back ordered'. Which is common with FYE... but I double checked and customer service sent me another e-mail saying that 'Yes your order has been processed and don't worry, we'll ship your items as soon as they come back into stock.'

So I asked them when the shipment was coming in. They again replied "We've contacted the company and are waiting on the shipment now."

So it was a couple of weeks and I kept checking the status on the site and then finally this weekend the item is listed again as 'In Stock', however they didn't readjust the price yet from the promo they had.

Then they pulled the item and emailed me saying 'Sorry for the inconvieniance we aren't carrying this item anymore. You're card has been credited.'

The main bullshit is that I've 5 weeks of emails saying that yes the offer was valid and not to worry that I'm getting it. I paid via gift card which has since been used up and thrown down one of those little slots in store. WTF... putting the money back on my gift card is basically throwing it away... after 5 weeks of promises I want the dvds.

People who did the amazon thing... it was worth a shot... but the situtation with FYE is a different story. Is anyone else getting fucked over by FYE on this item now that Amazon got away with backing out of their mistake?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
tlsmith1963 wrote:
People didn't realize that $5.99 was a typo? Give me a break! There is absolutely *no way* you could get the Platinum set for that price. Even so, the real price for that set is way too high, considering that it has no extras. I also thought the Azumanga Daioh thinpak was overpriced. I have them both, but I turned in used DVDs at Suncoast to lower how much I was going to pay. I don't like the idea of paying almost $100 for a set with no extras.

Tammy

They're releasing these sets less than a year or two after they just released the single volumes.

And don't shop at Suncoast. Wal-Mart had the EVA thin pack for $45.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
caro-chan, that is wrong. It's like walking into a retailer and you find a $50 DVD boxed set priced wrong at $5. SInce you haven't paid for it yet what you're saying is that the retailer doesn't have to honor that price.

The moment that you have it in your hands the retailer can't do anything about it because it's as good as bought. The same thing where concerns when you placed that Evangelion set in your shopping cart, Amazon is obligated to honoring that price. If they don't, I'm sure that those involved could file a lawsuit against Amazon for not honoring the price and Amazon could be found liable.
If people didn't know it was a mistake and were seriously pissed, then it might be a different story, but these people ordering the Evangelion set KNEW it was a mistake and were only taking advantage of somebody elses honest error, so why should Amazon.com have to honor that price, especially when as an online store, they can do whatever they want? Seeing the Evangelion boxset priced online for $5 and ordering it knowing that it's a mistake is like a person walks into Walmart, sees a widescreen TV accidentally priced at $10 and thinks, "Hey, Walmart accidentally priced this widescreen TV for $10! Rather than do something honest like pointing out that this was a mistake to whoever's in charge, I'm going to be greedy and buy it and pretend like I'm an idiot that seriously believes this price to be true just so I can get it cheaper than everyone else! And if they don't sell it to me, I can use this as an excuse even though I knew it was a mistake from the start!" Why should a store be expected to honor the prices for greedy, dishonest shoppers like the people who expected to get this Evangelion boxset for $5 when they should know better? Being honest and expecting other people to be honest back goes hand in hand. If you want other people to be honest, you have to be honest with them, too. "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jtnishi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Sorta reminds me of Outpost/Fry's last month mispricing the Saikano series box at $19.99. The difference is that if you didn't know that the retail price of the box was $79.95 and was still relatively new, it'd be easy to believe that the price was actually correct. Also, the box was priced at $19.99 at the retail store, so there was another way to get the box.

As I remember it, it took Fry's the better part of a month to fix that. And if Saikano had been a more popular series, I'm sure that there would've been a bigger pile of people jumping on that.

This type of stuff happens all the time. There are piles of people on sites like slickdeals and fatwallet that continuously try to work these misprices.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that Online Stores are no different than your average Brick and Mortar store. If the store is based in the United States they are required under Federal Law to honor the advertised prices. Since the advertised price was an online retailer makes no difference. A website's advertised price works the same way as a retailers circular ad.

Here in Michigan, a business is required to sell an item at an advertised price. If they don't, they can be held liable in a civil claims court for actual damages or $250, whichever is higher. This is built into our price scan law. A price found on a website is the same as picking up a circular ad with an advertised price. That business is then required to honor that price at the time of your checkout.

Those people that ordered those sets can actually take Amazon.com to court and have a good chance of winning a claim against Amazon.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Haha... a friend of mine noticed this and tried to order several of these boxes (many were intended to be headed for ebay)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Something like this I think Amazon could have limited the boxed sets to one per customer from all of those who ordered them. Arrow
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
The problem is that Online Stores are no different than your average Brick and Mortar store. If the store is based in the United States they are required under Federal Law to honor the advertised prices. Since the advertised price was an online retailer makes no difference. A website's advertised price works the same way as a retailers circular ad.

Here in Michigan, a business is required to sell an item at an advertised price. If they don't, they can be held liable in a civil claims court for actual damages or $250, whichever is higher. This is built into our price scan law. A price found on a website is the same as picking up a circular ad with an advertised price. That business is then required to honor that price at the time of your checkout.

Those people that ordered those sets can actually take Amazon.com to court and have a good chance of winning a claim against Amazon.

Sorry Colonel Wolfe but the your information is incorrect. Law's for online stores are very different then physical stores. Amazon.com has already been sued in small claims court over a price mistake and the courts ruled in their favor.

Also by signing up for a amazon.com account you agree to abide by there pricing rules which state that if their incorrect price is lower then the correct price they can cancel the order. That is legally binding whether you read it or not.

http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/ecommerce/2003q1/000903.html
blcskate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I ordered Samurai 7 Vol. 3 Limited Edition on Amazon for 16.99. Normally 49.99 and they honored that. It was an obvious mistake but I got two limited copies for 16.99 each. Can't beat it. I kept one and sold the other on half.com and the profit almost covered my copy. The price was fixed two days later.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

Sorry Colonel Wolfe but the your information is incorrect. Law's for online stores are very different then physical stores. Amazon.com has already been sued in small claims court over a price mistake and the courts ruled in their favor.

Also by signing up for a amazon.com account you agree to abide by there pricing rules which state that if their incorrect price is lower then the correct price they can cancel the order. That is legally binding whether you read it or not.

http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/ecommerce/2003q1/000903.html

While it may true, each state has its own rules regarding small claims against an advertisers listed price. Not every has its own rules. It depends on the state where a customer lives. For example, if a customer who lives in Montana, and say Montana has a law that says a consumer can take a business to small claims court if an advertiser lists a price for a piece of merchandise for a price and that Montana law says tyhat a consumer has take a business to court if they advertise a low price and the business says that they won't honor it. Then, in the state where that order was placed that business whether it's an online business or brick and mortar business would be required to honor that price.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Just because a law allows a company to be sued over a price disagreement doesnt mean they will win. With a previous court ruling in favor of amazon there is now some precedent for that type of lawsuit. There are also federal laws in place that have precedence over state laws. Those laws ARE different for online stores with no physical shops then for stores like best buy who use online sales.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't really set a precedent, it was just a small claims court. It wouldn't become a precedent unless it went to either the state supreme court or the US supreme court.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote
all court cases set a precident, a higher court can overrule a lower court of course, but higher courts can base their decisions on the precident set by lower courts and usually will unless they really disagree with it. However not all small claims courts cases are recorded the way proper courts cases are meaning the precident could be meaningless.
Talon87

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if similar complaints have yet been voiced, but I ordered one copy of this product on January 1, 2006 and it still hasn't even shipped from Amazon. Originally said "ships in 8 to 11 days". Then they changed it to "8 to 12 days" after e-mailing me, "We're going to delay your product." I check today, and any mention of a "when you can expect this product to arrive" tidbit has been stripped from the product information page. In other words, Amazon has been low on this product for quite a while I think, so really, whether they had caught this glitch in 5 hours or 5 days wouldn't have made any difference -- the people who ordered a $5.99 copy were standing in line behind me and God knows how many other people who had ordered their own copies weeks earlier.
SecretSquirrel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Amazon is obligated to honoring that price.

I love it when people don't even read the TOS.. it really comes back to bite them.

Amazon's TOS wrote:
Despite our best efforts, a small number of the items in our catalog may be mispriced. If we discover a mispricing, we will do one of the following:

* If an item's correct price is lower than our stated price, we will charge the lower amount and ship you the item.
* If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.

You agreed to these conditions when you signed up. END OF STORY.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4