• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 10 Shonen Jump Manga by All-Time Volume Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
iloveoov wrote:
erm nope... what Sariachan never even imply something like that.. she just talking about that famous myth surrounding DB that say that Akira Toriyama wanted to end DB far earlier but WSJ editor keep pushing him to write more (same thing tat you can read in Bakuman).. hell one of most famous myth regarding that was the one that said Akira want to end DB after Cell arc. this myth happen because fans don't like the story of DB after that at that time. and off course this is just happen in the international fandom.. so fans blame it all on those continuations.. thats what i believe Sariachan was talking about. same with Naruto case. some fans don't like Naruto after the timeskip or Pain Invasion Arc or Kage summit Arc.. they blaming it on Kishimoto and WSJ keep milking the series..

"Myths" and "some fans" are hardly factual evidence to be throwing about. I've seen "lots of fans" say Fishman Island and Punk Hazard are the worst One Piece arcs ever and post-time skip has been terrible. Do we listen to them and take it as fact as well that One Piece is ruined and milked? Especially when those Dragonball myths have been proven false by various interviews. Toriyama actually made up a lot of stuff as he went on if you read some of the more interesting ones, and thanks his editors for giving him a straight path at times when he asked for suggestions.

Quote:
once again all those "ruin" talk is all about the mangaka and publishers keep milking those famous franchises. nothing to do with DB and Naruto popularity were ruin or becoming unpopular in Japan at all.. if you got confuse reading my post i can understand, it because of my bad english but Sariachan as clear as a sky talking about publisher ruin the franchises in her post.

How are they 'milking' them yet Oda who said One Piece was originally only going to be a few years long but changed it when it became popular, isn't? How is Naruto milked when it's clearly building up to an ending more than One Piece which is chugging along the same as it ever was with no end in sight and just keeps introducing new things? Or the fact Dragonball actually ended 17 years ago? What are we considering 'milked' here? It doesn't sound like the common definition, that's for sure.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
One Piece is extremely popular in Japan.

Dragon Ball is more popular worldwide.

america =/= worldwide.

dragon ball is more popular in america.
Hospodar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Keiichi-chan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
One Piece is extremely popular in Japan.

Dragon Ball is more popular worldwide.

america =/= worldwide.

dragon ball is more popular in america.

No Dragon Ball is the most popular Manga worldwide. This is undeniable. It sold more than any other Manga outside of Japan. MUCH more.

I ‘m too lazy to search the link out and I only learned it second hand because I didn’t read the interview but according to an interview with one of the producers of Dragon Ball Evolution, Dragon Ball sold 350 000 000 worldwide(including Japan).
Of course he could have remembered the number wrong or trying to make some hype but until proven otherwise it is the only somewhat reliable source there is.

However you calculate it:
350 000 000/42
Is more than
270 000 000/60 something

No Manga ever since comes even close to the numbers of Dragon Ball outside of Japan. There is no discussion about it. None at all.
iloveoov

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
iloveoov wrote:
erm nope... what Sariachan never even imply something like that.. she just talking about that famous myth surrounding DB that say that Akira Toriyama wanted to end DB far earlier but WSJ editor keep pushing him to write more (same thing tat you can read in Bakuman).. hell one of most famous myth regarding that was the one that said Akira want to end DB after Cell arc. this myth happen because fans don't like the story of DB after that at that time. and off course this is just happen in the international fandom.. so fans blame it all on those continuations.. thats what i believe Sariachan was talking about. same with Naruto case. some fans don't like Naruto after the timeskip or Pain Invasion Arc or Kage summit Arc.. they blaming it on Kishimoto and WSJ keep milking the series..

"Myths" and "some fans" are hardly factual evidence to be throwing about. I've seen "lots of fans" say Fishman Island and Punk Hazard are the worst One Piece arcs ever and post-time skip has been terrible. Do we listen to them and take it as fact as well that One Piece is ruined and milked? Especially when those Dragonball myths have been proven false by various interviews. Toriyama actually made up a lot of stuff as he went on if you read some of the more interesting ones, and thanks his editors for giving him a straight path at times when he asked for suggestions.

what? we are discussing One Piece good arc bad arc right now?
i thought we are talking about Oda and WSJ editor will milking and ruin One PIece ending or not.. that is what Sariachan was talking about.. it is you who miss understood and accused her belittle DB and Naruto fame in Japan.. you are the one that accused her making up story about it just to make One Piece sond famous than what it is.. and i am just explained that you are wrong.. hey i am the one that said that all those WSJ pressured Toriyama to continued DB was a myth.. not you.. so don't try to explain to me about it.

Quote:
Quote:
once again all those "ruin" talk is all about the mangaka and publishers keep milking those famous franchises. nothing to do with DB and Naruto popularity were ruin or becoming unpopular in Japan at all.. if you got confuse reading my post i can understand, it because of my bad english but Sariachan as clear as a sky talking about publisher ruin the franchises in her post.

How are they 'milking' them yet Oda who said One Piece was originally only going to be a few years long but changed it when it became popular, isn't? How is Naruto milked when it's clearly building up to an ending more than One Piece which is chugging along the same as it ever was with no end in sight and just keeps introducing new things? Or the fact Dragonball actually ended 17 years ago? What are we considering 'milked' here? It doesn't sound like the common definition, that's for sure.

and seriously please learn the actual fact.. this is another famous myth regarding One Piece. Oda never said he want to end in 5 years but changed it because One Piece got famous.. He said he planned One Piece story from the beginning to the end and expected it to complete in 5 years. but he miscalculated. it takes more than that. actually he apologized about that, saying that was a immature/sill part of him thinking that he can finish everything in just 5 years and said he will never try to do that again.

and another things is One Piece is one of the mangas that already freaking famous from the beginning of it serialization. Naruto too.. unlike most of jump titles that struggled in the first 1 or 2 years of it serialization. go see the weekly TOC ranking of WSJ. so yeah, "OMG! Oda milking One Piece because its got famous even though he's originally wanted to end it in 5 years" is a freaking stupid myth..
but Oda did say that from time to time he always add something to the main storyline whenever he sees fit.. and he also said that if he want to right about highshool life story or robot story, he can just add in an island/plot about it in One Piece. but the main story will still be the same that he was already plan from the beginning.

and again I AM THE ONE THAT USED AND STRESSED THE WORD MYTH when talking about DB and Naruto situation.. so why the hell you are explaining it about it to me? WHY! you have trouble understanding my very poor English or you just have trouble to understand simple things like this? if yes, then no wonder you can't understand a simple story of a children comic book..

@Haspodar
please there was no real record about manga record outside of japan.. and thats clearly show how insignificant manga sales outside of Japan.. hell, in 2010, United States of America's manga sales is just below 3% of Japan's manga sales.. and US is no2 or 3 after Europe and France (excluding China - one of the most populated country in the world and they love One Piece, Hong Kong, taiwan, SEA, Korea)when it come to manga industry..so yeah, keep posting baseless nonsense. and yes DB is my favorite manga of all time. i've read much better manga but DB will be always be my favorite. [/b]
marie1901

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
People sure do love their One Piece.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see Kochikame doing so well. No surprise that it hasn't been translated, but it's a great manga to read (or anime to watch) if you're studying Japanese; it's sometimes hilarious, usually at least amusing, and often full of interesting little details about obscure customs, local history, and Japanese society you seldom find elsewhere. Akimoto said in a TV interview once that that's a deliberate choice--to try to pass on to children today some of the things that are being forgotten by society.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
Just to point it out, I love both Naruto and Dragon Ball (more the first half than the second half of both), but I still think the latest volumes kind of "ruined" them overall, unfortunately... That said, DB importance is huge, and Akira Toriyama is still one of my favourite mangaka (and one of the most important ones--he did many other manga besides DB, just to say).
Naruto, at least outside Japan, has its share of importance, too (and has a fandom I'm still part of, so many the people who like it and who make good artworks based on it, from fanfics to fanarts and cosplays... I like reading/looking at them, and I do some myself, too, since I really like both the Naruto characters design and the general scenario/setting, other than several of its characters).

I'm not trashing any manga, here; I'm just trying to be objective even with manga I like.
One Piece, too, has its ups and downs after all, and it took me three re-reads of its first 3-4 volumes for me to get into it (while, on comparison, I got hooked by Naruto after its first volume and by Dragon Ball after its very first chapter); yet, overall, I believe One Piece is the best manga among these three... so far, at least. Japanese are of the same opinion, apparently, but to each its own; to have different tastes is normal.

However, the main topic was the fact that, in the Japanese culture, OP is more important than any other manga right now, and my hope that this fact won't "ruin" it, too, on the long run as it happened/is happening with other popular manga, at least according to some people (me included).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Bell02

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Old topic, I know, but this is extremely telling of the popularity of Shonen Jump Magazine as a whole. It's like it was basically the Kochikame magazine until the 80s. I really got to look to the really old Jump manga and see if Manga was less popular then or were there other leading magazines at the time and Jump's dominance is more of a modern thing due to mostly 90s and modern manga.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Bell02 wrote:
Old topic, I know, but this is extremely telling of the popularity of Shonen Jump Magazine as a whole. It's like it was basically the Kochikame magazine until the 80s.

Not really, since Kochikame debuted in 1976, and even in the late-70s Jump wasn't solely relying on Kochikame, since there were other big hits like Cobra & Ring ni Kakero. And then there were the early-to-mid 70s hits like Dokonjo Gaeru & Astro Kyudan. Going back even further into the late-60s, when the magazine debuted, there were the original hits, like Harenchi Gakuen & Otoko Ippiki Gaki Daisho.

It's just that Jump hit its biggest numbers in the mid-80s to mid-90s, a.k.a. Jump's "Golden Age", so naturally sales numbers would be bigger for those since Jump had a larger readership at that time. Naturally, the titles that were around during the larger readership would get bigger sales numbers than the 60s & 70s titles, except for Kochikame, and that's only because Kochikame is still running in Jump.
rand_al_thor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
I was recently attending an international physics competiton in Denmark. Students from over 80 countries were present, and students from each nation were carrying souvenirs representing their homeland... so there were chocolates from Switzerland, statues of Indian gods and goddesses, little packages of maple syrup from Canada and from Japan... large posters, posters of [i]One piece[/i]..
at that point anime to me was dragon ball, naruto, bleach and hunter x hunter.. i have subsequently started reading one piece and now consider it the best shonen manga series in print.. this of course is just my opinion... but I think it can fairly be said that One Piece in Japan has an appeal and an impact that is daunting for a Shonen manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5