• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
K (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
^ I often see that dubbed "supernatural" rather than fantasy, at least I'm used to that label.

Also, the kick is that shows targeted at some specific demographics often acquire a typical style of their own, so that the word becomes usable as a genre description. Shounen in particular - usually used to describe long-running Shounen Jump titles and stylistic derivatives.

I wouldn't lump bishounen titles into the same boat. They might share the demographic but they differ quite a bit in style.
Botan24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Very nice visual eye candy (and no, I'm not just talking about the bishounen). Just the sky being reflected in the windows of skyscrapers was beautiful. Although the best animation was the spoiler[skateboard chase.]

One thing I noticed, there is barely any dialogue in this first episode. With the exception of the school girl concerned about Shiro's eating habits, just about all the characters spoke once or twice, and in short, stubby sentences i.e. "No problem", or "Burn them". That leaves a lot to be desired story wise. Although, it seems as if K is trying to show rather than tell, which could be cool, if it's pulled off well.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I haven't heard of GoHands, and a cursory glance at their encyclopedia page shows lots of in between and 2nd key animation credits, but only a few for production (for shows I've never heard of). This is just a guess, but I'm pretty sure K is basically GoHands attempt to break into the space held by studios like Bones, Gainax, and the rest. The animation is flashy, everything oozes coolness, and the soundtrack is fresh and exciting, but they aren't really breaking new narrative ground here. I'll watch episode two, and perhaps more, in the hopes that a bland show like this might pave the way for better shows later, from a new "big" studio. Also, I do love the soundtrack, stereotypes be damned.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was enjoyable enough to warrant continuing. It doesn't seem to be the most original or thought provoking, but it seems like a great anime to just turn off the brain and watch the action and plot twists. But I won't be continuing because Viz's stream was atrociously bad. The animation is the main appeal, and their player completely destroyed the animation. It seemed like it was (and probably was) in 240p! Evil or Very Mad Even the commercials were higher resolution than the show itself! I refuse to watch more it until it's streaming somewhere with higher resolution or on DVD (if that ever happens).

I know I could watch fansubs, but I try to only watch things legally, especially if their licensed.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The soundtrack reminds me of the likes of Samurai Champloo and The World Ends With You
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
^ I often see that dubbed "supernatural" rather than fantasy, at least I'm used to that label.

Also, the kick is that shows targeted at some specific demographics often acquire a typical style of their own, so that the word becomes usable as a genre description. Shounen in particular - usually used to describe long-running Shounen Jump titles and stylistic derivatives.

I wouldn't lump bishounen titles into the same boat. They might share the demographic but they differ quite a bit in style.

Supernatural is a better term; we don't know how the characters received their powers (just yet) but (hopefully) the series will (at least) give some depth about that...maybe?

I typically use "bishounen" as a character design/feature (like "long haired bishounen" or "white haired bishounen") rather than a genre. Or maybe I've been misusing the term for years. =__=

Anyway...I do agree that certain shows aimed at specific demographics will come with their own style or flavor. Most of the time a show will stick to a tried and true method that has been constantly used in that specific demographic.

Example: Plot-Young hero who wants to travel the world to get stronger in order to save the universe from X. Odds are that show will be a Shounen and will use tropes that has been used within that demographic for years.

From what I can tell, this series is, without a doubt, aimed towards teenagers and college students.

Quote:
The soundtrack reminds me of the likes of Samurai Champloo and The World Ends With You

Visually speaking, the opening credits seems to be influenced by Champloo and Sengoku Basara and probably lots of other shows I haven't seen yet.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
This show is ridiculous, but I friggin' love it.

I like to call episode 2 "Black Dog does crazy shit and nobody bats an eye".

That chicky at the school is like, 'Oh, he just jumped two stories high, but oh no he forgot his bag! I have to bring it to him!"

And when Isana was strung up on the rooftop, he was more concerned with the why of the situation other then the how (though this is kind of understandable).

That fight between Beat and Black Dog started off awesome, with the song kicking up but then fell flat. Still, a nice taste of things to come.

Finally, Nyaa-Ghost-Girl is...at least fun to watch. Also, what a bizarre ending!

I can't wait for more. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I find this show so stupid, and this comes from a guy who keeps trying to defend shows that are often not too good, but with this I finally know what it is like to be one of those haters.

For one I hate all the characters, Isano spoiler[barely does anything to try and convince the Black Dog that he is innocent, instead useing some words that it looks like he did it. And then he makes up some stupid story, and the Black Dog falls for it], the Black Dog is actually reasonably likeable, but he is so spoiler[stupid for falling for it, and later being lead into a fight with skate boarder. How hard would it have been for him to say, "I am trying to kill him too, he is jsut trying to make us fight."] The sneaky plans just make me hate Isano more, is he an innocent boy, or crafty devil.

Then we get the cat, it is not often that I get annoyed at things being used for obvious fanservice, but this was one. And her cat powers are not funny or clever, they are annoying, seeing the spoiler[big cats or whatever just looks stupid, and the spcial warping is cool, but makes the action feel a little choppy.] And there is the chase sequence, how are we meant to believe that he can be cunning to save himself, but spoiler[waste time picking up ornages when he is being chased for his life. In fact it was easy to believe he was going to be tracked there eventually, would have been easier to go to police.] And stupid pranks in a fight for your life, just confusing.

And then there is the end of the episode where they apparently all hapened to spoiler[run out of energy at the same time, in the dorm room. Now the Black Dog could just finish him off now, Isano has done some dirty tricks before to get out, but instead he decides to eat breakfast.] Now that is just stupid, actually he opens his suitcase, that spoiler[turns out to be cooking ware, so he makes the food instead.]

Perhaps I am being too hard, like this is not the show for me.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I think you'll find the show a lot more enjoyable if you start from the premise that they all know they're in an anime.

I actually liked episode 2 a lot better than the first, just because it scaled back the pretentiousness into something that recognized its own absurdity. Though I can't help but feel like the soundtrack doesn't seem to have much depth.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote
This show is perplexing. I could actually see enjoying it. There are parts I like. For every one of those parts I like though I've got to sit through parts where it lapses into either painfully dull slice of life proceedings or painfully stupid naked cat girl antics.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
Yashiro in a serious pinch.
That kid really was playing those guys.
Just like a twisted game of tag ^^
Don't get why would he antagonize his persuers any further.
Transforming Neko's tricks were kinda funny.
There sure were some interesting situations this time.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
episode 2 has really made this one of the shows I'll be following the entire chase scene with neko had me laughing so hard i could barely read the subs. spoiler["this walls an illusion""what did you do to my face?"]

yes I am changing opinion but it took this ep to do it the previous one hadn't broken out the situation comedy which is exactly what the series needed.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
Animax Asia didn't show the ED possibly spoiler[because of naked Neko.]
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Animax Asia didn't show the ED possibly spoiler[because of naked Neko.]

That sounds kinda hilarious.

I mean, it's not like Neko is the most "conservative" character throughout Episode 2. Anime hyper
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
OK, so it's definitely not highbrow.

Whatever. The visuals are impressive enough for me to stick around and watch the pretty boys look cool. There are worse reasons to watch a show and it does seem to have some substance. Oddly enough, I found myself really loving spoiler[the sound effects in the skateboarding scenes. The rattling and scraping of the wheels was very convincing.]

As far as the Shoujo/Shonen controversy goes, I honestly think K is such a hodgepodge of mixed styles that it all blends together in a kind of genre stew. So, my opinion is that you're all correct. It is shounen, shounen-ai (maybe a little), shoujo, bishonen, sci-fi, etc... It makes for a more interesting show when there are combined elements so I don't mind the co-mingling.

On a totally different note: Is anyone else catching shades of Allen Walker and Kanda Yuu? It's even Takahiro Sakurai doing the voice for Izumo. Like many other posters, I keep getting reminded of Drrr, Samurai Champloo and No. 6 as well. Since I liked all those shows, it's a bonus, but I don't actually expect the writing to stack up against any of them. Still, I'll take it for what it is (style over substance) and enjoy it for now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 16