• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What will be big in the new year?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Real

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:00 am Reply with quote
There are are some show i know of that are continuing into the new year. What i dont kno is what is expected in this year. I have seen some listings of shows that are dabueing. Other then that i dont know much about them (most the info on sites is Japaness and i can't read it).

I wana hear what you think will be a big hit in 2006.

.....I wounder if Bleach will end this year or continue on for a while.
Also, if you know please comoent on new releses in Japan.

Last edited by 2Real on Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Mai-HiME will definitely be good. I think it's a series that can reach out to a wide varitey of audiences. It has action, comedy, drama, a good cast of characters, and the music is done by Yuuki Kajiura (a plus for a lot of fans). I'm just hoping the dub will turn out pretty well, as there were quite a few emotional screams during the dramatic parts. I would hate for the English VAs to do a poor job and detract from the overall quality of the series.

Gankutsuou is a must. Well, a must if you're into well written dramas more suited for older teens and young adults (or if you think you're mature enough to enjoy it). The classic story of The Count Monte Cristo is portrayed to perfection about a man hellbent on revenge and the intrigue of how it all unfolds. I made a bit of an exstensive thread about the series here. I highly recommend everyone check it out Smile.

FUNimation's acquisition of Speed Grapher has me excited. I watched about 11 episodes before it was licensed, and I liked it a lot. I'm also curious to check out Trinity Blood.

While it's not an R1 release, I'm looking forward to the UK R2 release of Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. I refrained from buying the R1 version because of all the controversy of captions instead of subs, no dub, and the fact that I know they could've put on a better track than a Dolby Digital 5.1. Instead, I'll look to buy the R2 version that's 2-disc and very similar to the Special Edition releases of the R1 Stand Alone Complex (a regular disc with extras and a DTS disc). Unfortunately, though, my all region player isn't working anymore (piece o' crap..), but I'm excited, nonetheless Anime smile.

As for new stuff in Japan, I'm looking forward to more Blood+. The movie was alright, and the series shows a lot of potential. I'm sure they'll delve into Saya's past as well as write in a bunch of uber-dramatic plotwists involving more conspiracy with the U.S military.

I also like what I've seen in Jigoku Shoujo. While the same formula has been used throughout the first eight episodes, I still found it to be pretty entertaning and hope they will go a little further into developing the Hell Hotline crew or maybe even throwing in a sidestory at some point.

I'm also looking forward to more King of Fighters: Another Day. While it's a bit of a bummer that those ONA episodes are only about ten minutes a piece, the one episode I saw was decently cool. But knowing nothing of the story in Maximum Impact, I don't really know what to expect beyond the characters I'll like to see in anime form.

And of course, who can forget Hellsing Ultimate? I like the first Hellsing series a lot, though I'm sure it makes a difference that I haven't read the manga Anime smallmouth. However, in order to prepare myself for the upcoming OAV, I'll try to start collecting those sometime soon. The trailer I saw for the OAV had me very intrigued and I look forward to the eventual (top-notch Geneon) U.S release.

Oh, and the one manga I'm looking forward to in the U.S is Monster. I love the anime, but until it gets licensed (hopefully by Geneon), the manga will do for now Mr. Green.

EDIT: Just noticed I mispelled "Hime" Razz.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
So, it seems the only one here with any idea of how the rules work is Tony K. "_____ will be big!" is listing, folks. Most of you should've already known that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
But isn't it somewhat similar to this thread? But whatever, I'll expand why I chose those series here. Rolling Eyes

Fate/stay night

Despite the fact I never played their PC games, I infact enjoyed watching Tsukihime. So I was curious how this new TYPE-MOON series would play out. After seeing the 6 min promo trailer, it has a rather interesting concept dealing with a battle royale in order to obtain the Holy Grail (ok, that's putting it in a nutshell). Animation looked very dynamic so hopefully Studio DEEN doesn't choke on the action scenes (they tend to go for the cheap side when dealing with TV series). The music from Kenji Kawai sounded very awesome, and it has some rather myterious yet soothing aura in it.

I'll add more later.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:51 am Reply with quote
Well, aside from the carry over titles from 2005 I am still following, Gundam Seed: Destiny is also due out in March. I haven't seen it personally so I'll be picking it up being a big Gundam fan. I've heard some negative press though, I'll decide for myself.

I'm also interested in Speed Grapher, Basalisk and Trinity Blood comming out from Funimation hopefully sometime next year. All from Gonzo and I read an article on them in Animerica where the storylines sounded interesting.

Also later this year we could see a volume of Black Cat since it got liscensed recently. I was following the show and it was getting quite good. I look forward to finishing it on DVD.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:01 am Reply with quote
Are you talking about shows that are airing in Japan, or shows that will be released on DVD in R1? I'm seeing two big trends. . .a lot of new shows are less "experimental," as they are building on previously established franchises. Take Tsubasa Chronicle, which has 2 more seasons scheduled (#2 starting in April). After seeing the first episode, I'm doubting the show's quality, but since it includes CCS and all those other Clamp characters, it has the makings of a hit. Other things are getting second seasons or second series, like Ah my Goddess (building off long manga, previous TV series, and OVA series/movie from years ago), Mai Otome (borrowing characters from the successful Mai Hime--something in me says that MO wouldn't be as big of a hit if it weren't for the "lol therz character X again" appeal), and School Rumble (Oh look, a comedy/romance series that had an inconclusive ending is actually getting the second season that people have clamored for!).

The other trend is the moé thing--I don't have any shows in mind (aside from To Heart 2, which combines moé + previous sucess (To Heart / To Heart ~Remember my Memories~ / To Heart dating-sim game)), but it seems like the trend is to draw in the hardcore, figurine-collecting otaku with tons and tons of cute/sweet/innocent/helpless girls.

Of course, Bleach and Naruto will continue their success, once they are done with the necessary filler material. Perhaps this year will see the licensing of Bleach, which has the potential to be a big TV/DVD hit. It may depend on how many of the 100,000+ fans who have been downloading the show decide to buy DVDs. (I once looked at the torrent tracker's "Completed Downloads" column and averaged the numbers over all the episodes--the number came out pretty high, and that was only one group.)

Idk, I'm not really following too many shows, and one of them (Suzuka) has ended. In particular, I don't follow a lot of the action shows that have big fansub appeal, like Monster, Blood+, One Piece etc. Just good old cute/angsty stuff like Canvas 2 and Shuffle! for me Cool
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
I wana hear what you think will be a big hit in 2006.

I am looking forward to Robotech Shadow Chronicles. Especially considering that I grew up with Robotech.

I will tell you want I am not looking forward too..... Genndy Tartakovsky's AstroBoy.
I just do not like his animation style.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:19 am Reply with quote
i'm really looking forward to Ergo Proxy. everything i've seen of it so far just looks great. hopefully they don't screw this up
2Real

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I have been looking up a few shows that are coming out and it looks like Mad House will have a few nice titles comeing out there are a few others i would like to check into.

Ego proky (by mad house) Looks like it will be a good show. I'm not sure on it's relese date but from the trailers i have seen it looks like it could be something.
http://www.ergoproxy.com/trailer/index.html
That is a website with 2 30 second trailers of the show on it.

Another I'm want to look into is Brave Story. It seems to be a tale of magic that starts of with a young boy, about 8-10 years old, who loses his mother who he live with alone. From there he is thrown into a a story that I think will intrigue and amaze( im not sure if this is a movie or show, though i belive it to be a movie). It was done with Warner Bros., Gonzo, and Fuji TV.
http://www.bravestory.net/english/index.html
This is a traile about 45 seconds long for Brave Story.

I am also looking forwad to Black Lagon. Thought i don't know as much about this show it seems to be a very intriguing show about a goverment agent who is betrayed by his agencey inorder to keep him quiet.
Sorry i have no trailers for this show, but from what i have heard it is worth a look into.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:07 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
But isn't it somewhat similar to this thread? But whatever, I'll expand why I chose those series here. Rolling Eyes

Fate/stay night

Despite the fact I never played their PC games, I infact enjoyed watching Tsukihime. So I was curious how this new TYPE-MOON series would play out. After seeing the 6 min promo trailer, it has a rather interesting concept dealing with a battle royale in order to obtain the Holy Grail (ok, that's putting it in a nutshell). Animation looked very dynamic so hopefully Studio DEEN doesn't choke on the action scenes (they tend to go for the cheap side when dealing with TV series). The music from Kenji Kawai sounded very awesome, and it has some rather myterious yet soothing aura in it.

I'll add more later.

I second this. Besides the end of Shakugan no Shana, Fate/Stay Night is the one I'm most excited to see for 2006 as of now.

Is it just me or are some people too retarded to read the first post? If I'm not mistaken, 2Real asks, "what you think will be a big hit in 2006". So far, Tony K. mentions Mai-HiME, which was completed 2005, and Gankutsuou, which was completed 2005. Then Kruszer mentions Gundam SEED: Destiny, which also ended 2005. They all hit their peak popularity when they came out; meaning that they're not going to be at their "big hit moment" in 2006.

If they need correction, it's Mai-Otome, not Mai-HiME and Gundam SEED: Eternity not Gundam SEED: Destiny.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:31 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Is it just me or are some people too retarded to read the first post? If I'm not mistaken, 2Real asks, "what you think will be a big hit in 2006". So far, Tony K. mentions Mai-HiME, which was completed 2005, and Gankutsuou, which was completed 2005. Then Kruszer mentions Gundam SEED: Destiny, which also ended 2005. They all hit their peak popularity when they came out; meaning that they're not going to be at their "big hit moment" in 2006.

How about you do a little research before you start insulting people for no good reason. Not everybody watches fansubs or lives in Japan. There are people who are uninformed of the series My-Hime, Gankutsuou, and Gundam SEED: Destiny. You see, there's these groups of people called liscensing companies who license anime from Japan to make them legally available to other countries. In North America these comapanies are planning to release My-Hime, the rest of Gankutsuou, and Gundam SEED: Dextiny in 2006. So, try to be a little more polite in your next post instead of insulting others and making yourself look like a fool, ok?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:

I am also looking forwad to Black Lagon. Thought i don't know as much about this show it seems to be a very intriguing show about a goverment agent who is betrayed by his agencey inorder to keep him quiet.
Sorry i have no trailers for this show, but from what i have heard it is worth a look into.

I read the first chapter of the manga, so I'll correct a few points.

That's basically just the story of the first chapter on how a trio of mercenaries meets their new member. During a job, they take the guy hostage for extra money, but his company (a business, not a government agency) decides he's expendable and would be better if he just died. By the end of the chapter, this little issue is resolved and he joins the mercenaries. How the story develops after that, I have no idea.

Azathrael wrote:

If they need correction, it's Mai-Otome, not Mai-HiME and Gundam SEED: Eternity not Gundam SEED: Destiny.

There is no Gundam SEED: Eternity. That was a rumor a while back right after Destiny ended. There is a good possibility of a third season, but there has been no announcement and it probably won't be called "Eternity."

Azathrael wrote:

The first post seems to imply that he is talking about anime in Japan, but he does not explicitly limit it to Japanese releases, so U.S./Canadian/wherever releases are fine. And if there was a problem, Nagisa would have addressed it.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

How about you do a little research before you start insulting people for no good reason. Not everybody watches fansubs or lives in Japan. There are people who are uninformed of the series My-Hime, Gankutsuou, and Gundam SEED: Destiny. You see, there's these groups of people called liscensing companies who license anime from Japan to make them legally available to other countries. In North America these comapanies are planning to release My-Hime, the rest of Gankutsuou, and Gundam SEED: Dextiny in 2006. So, try to be a little more polite in your next post instead of insulting others and making yourself look like a fool, ok?

I really don't care how you're going to make an excuse with US DVD releases. Any common "fool" would've taken it to be the ACTUAL release year of the anime itself, especially because the original thread starter didn't specify US DVDs. So I simply corrected what could be mistaken by newcomers that anime such as Mai-HiME wasn't already released SOMEWHERE in the world. Unlike you, the rest of the world does not work in US-perspective.

HitokiriShadow wrote:

There is no Gundam SEED: Eternity. That was a rumor a while back right after Destiny ended. There is a good possibility of a third season, but there has been no announcement and it probably won't be called "Eternity."

Taken directly from box forums:

sobe wrote:

Taken from: http://seedgenesis.net/

More and more great things come as we move closer and closer to the holidays. A site made by Moon Phase reports that in Comic Gun's February Issue that Sunrise has confirmed a 3rd installment of Gundam SEED. However, there are no details so far and it has yet to be mentioned on their main site.

Source: Gunolta

That’s right my friends there is going to be another Gundam SEED.

Allegedly the next one is going to be called Gundam SEED Eternity, however that has not bin confirmed as well nothing except the confirmation of there is going to be another one has bin confirmed.
What do you think about this news and do you think that it is a good or bad thing? Beside that just talk about it because I am wondering what you guys think.

LOVE TO ALL,
SOBE

Enjoy the good(?) news.
Shi-ne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote
Is there a chance that the new guyver tv series will make it's way to the U.S. this year?

And....

is anyone besides me excited about Highlander Vengeance? I'd hate it if I were the only one.
dirtyharry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in SHell. I can see that one being huge. What's the release date?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2