• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Underground/Art/Alternative Manga Discussion Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
- Swallowing the Earth
- Ayako
- Book of Human Insects
- Dororo

Ayako or Book of Human Insects, I think. Kind of depends on what you're looking for. Those two are the most novel like, with a fairly cohesive story and a real ending. If you're looking for one of those batshit insane Tezuka stories, Swallowing the Earth would be your best bet. Dororo starts is pretty entertaining, but has a strong 'monster of the week' element and ends with a 'it was just the start of their journey' endings.

Quote:

Non-Tezuka reccomendations are just as welcome too, like I said I've fallen out with the whole scene recently.

I have no idea how far you're behind, so I'll just throw some titels I read this past year at you.

-Tenken (ancient Japanese mythology in a post-apocalyptic world)
-NonNonBa (author of Gegege no Kitaro looks back on his childhood and the people and yokai that defined it. Might be the best thing I read this year.)
-Attack on Titan (the last human stronghold is being threatened by man eating giants)
-Stargazing Dog (a really charming story about a loyal dog and his unfortunate owner)
-Rohan at the Louvre (Story about a cursed painting hidden deep within the bowels of the Louvre. Really awesome artwork, completely in colour!)

Oh, and volume 3 of Summit of the Gods is out.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
I think some wholesaler or other must have found a stash of old manga because amazon.co.uk and bookdepository.co.uk both have Suehiro Maruo's long out of print Ultra Gash Inferno available. Nice to have it available new for £15 rather than used for £60...

---

Highway Star -

I pretty much agree with Tamaria on your Tezuka list. I'd just add that I didn't find Ayako all that enjoyable (too dry, too much gratingly translated yokel dialect) and whilst I much preferred The Book Of Human Insects, I can't actually remember anything much about it, which maybe isn't a great recommendation.
I found Swallowing The Earth to be the most entertaining - it's nuts but it's fun. Just don't bother if you need it to make sense and / or flow properly.
There's also Barbara which just came out. Haven't read my copy yet but I've heard good things about it.

Other things you should read?

- A Zoo In Winter (semi-autobiographical Jiro Taniguchi manga)
- Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths (more semi-autobiographical manga, this time from Shigeru Mizuki)
- Velveteen & Mandala (surreal, post-apocalyptic weirdness)
- Sakuran (historical josei from Moyoco Anno, set in a brothel)

Those are all one-volume works so they shouldn't break the bank and they're all very good.

Haven't been reading all that much manga myself lately - I don't think there's been much new stuff coming out that's worth reading to be honest.

Last edited by Moomintroll on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Haven't been reading all that much manga myself lately - I don't think there's been much new stuff coming out that's worth reading to be honest.

Same, if only for official English releases. I've caught up with a few works -- Hideki Arai's The World is Mine and Hitoshi Iwaaki's Historie are still as amazing as ever -- and started some new ones -- Hiroki Endo's All-Rounder Meguru is easily better and more enjoyable than Eden, and it's a shame that it'll (probably) never get published here. There's a few stray releases by non-mainstream publishers that I'm interested in -- Fantragraphics' Heart of Thomas and Vertical's re-release of Paradise Kiss -- but we're far from the peak of alternative manga we saw end a few years back.

Maybe Viz will add some new titles to their Signature line (that aren't Natsume Ono) soon. One can hope.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Id get meguru if it were released, buying more manga than ever these days despite having less money for it lol.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Bonham -

I'm still enjoying a few ongoing series a lot (Cross Game, 20th Century Boys, Dorohedoro and a couple of others) but the number of new releases I want seems to shrink month by month. There are still some older titles I never got around to finishing (or starting in a few cases) but when those run out...

As far as the Signature line goes, it would be nice if Viz would finish a few more of the Sig-IKKI series they already started but I won't be holding my breath.

What do you reckon the odds are of Dark Horse putting out more Samura stuff now that Blade Of The Immortal has an ending in sight?
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
What do you reckon the odds are of Dark Horse putting out more Samura stuff now that Blade Of The Immortal has an ending in sight?

Not that good, but only because I'm not sure how well his other stuff would sell. Aside from various shorts, the only other serialized works that I know of involves a very strange comedy (the title escapes me) and Bradherley's Coach, which is so unrelentingly grim that I can't imagine it be received terribly well. Although it is only one volume, so if Dark Horse wants to be adventurous...
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
Id get it, grim isnt something i avoid wich is why im really looking forward to verticals release of Wolfsmund next year cos thats totally grim.
Ensof

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

Pretty damn good: Emerald and Other Stories.

As Bonham explained, very little chance of Bradherley's Coach though.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I'll certainly be picking up Emerald but I was hoping we might see something other than short stories after that. No news on whether he plans on starting another long form work after BOTI?
Ensof

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
I'll certainly be picking up Emerald but I was hoping we might see something other than short stories after that. No news on whether he plans on starting another long form work after BOTI?

Possibly this. I don't know Japanese, so I'm speculating from very limited information, but it doesn't look as though he's drawn much of it - less than a volume, maybe as little as a chapter. Whether it's going to be of a substantial length is another unknown.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
Thanks Ensof - I'll keep my fingers crossed it makes it to English eventually.
Ensof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I just had a glance at Ponent Mon's In the Making page. Listed there are a couple of Jiro Tanaguchi titles: Summit of the Gods vols 4 and 5 and Furari. However, there's no information other than the titles, so they may be some way off yet.

Based on what little I could find out about Furari it sounds like an Edo Era variation on The Walking Man. As for Summit of the Gods, the wait between volumes really kills me, so I hope they don't take quite as long this time.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
Vertical just announced their license for Kyoko Okazaki's Helter Skelter. Best manga license since I can't remember when (maybe when I'm not drunk).

Everyone who has posted in and read this thread needs to buy it. It's fantastic, and we need more of Okazaki's works published here.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
I've already got the German edition (which is pretty nice), but depending on what Vertical does with it, I may double dip. I mean, it's Vertical after all!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah i'll add it to the wishlist.

Thinking of vertical im torn on wether to get some tezuka stuff from them. I've never considered myself a fan but that is mostly due to the art style as the stories have often been quite good.

I also remeber really liking that anime movie of black jack, the one with the super humans....decisions decisions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 78 of 88