• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BBC TV's Sherlock Re-imagining Gets Japanese Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't care if it's horrible. I'm a Sherlock Holmes junkie and the BBC Sherlock is the best Holmes adaption in years. Have all the dvds and as a serious manga collector I am importing this thing even if it's downright horrible.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
I would like to see them make a manga version of Doctor Who. Very Happy

The internet would ASPLODE. Very Happy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

No it won't. Been there, done that, failed miserably. Rolling Eyes
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

That doesn't look like manga to me.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

Think of it as OEL.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

Think of it as OEL.

I started buying IDW's Doctor Who comics when they first came out and featured 10. They're all just the result of some fanboy of IDW who writes horrible stories, and they feature generally all around crap art (with the exception of Pia Guerra's run) and were downright boring. I think if given a good artist, manga could express the insanity and the comedy that Doctor Who has, but story-wise it'd be hit or miss no matter what. Not saying it'd be a hit, but there's a huge portion of Doctor Who's female audience who are also anime/manga fans, and they'd buy it. If they can get a manga-ka who knows how to pander to the audience, it'd sell.

Heck, give me something completely out there and non-canon like the fan webcomic Torchwood Babiez and you still have something I'd buy.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Personally I like Assimilation2 but yeah the art (except the Fourth Doctor/OST bit which was better) looks like screencaps of the characters pasted together and run through a photoshop filter.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Personally I like Assimilation2 but yeah the art (except the Fourth Doctor/OST bit which was better) looks like screencaps of the characters pasted together and run through a photoshop filter.

I don't disagree with you. I think many Japanese comic artists just don't know how to depict real people at all. I think the
blame goes to overused, stylized manga style.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Uh, I don't thik "Assimilation2" (the Star Trek/Doctor Who crossover comic) is draw by a Japanese artist, just a artist that uses a more "realistic", painting style, which puts the viewer in the uncomfortable uncanny valley territory. (The feeling you get when viewing something that is not realistic enough to seem real, but not stylized enough to be a cartoon, see computer animated films like The Polar Express.)

Highly stylized manga artists can be excellent at realistic art, but, as evidenced by Assimilation, realistic art just doesn't work in comics or manga.

Back to the topic, I'm surprised that Doctor Who has never had an official manga adaptation. It's been around for nearly 50 years, and has been internationally famous for quite a while now. There have been official Star Trek manga and I'm sure there's plenty of Japanese Doctor Who doujinshi and fan art out there...hmm, @erinf of ANN's Shelf Life is the manga topics expert, maybe she knows if there was any official Doctor Who manga over the years.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Back to the topic, I'm surprised that Doctor Who has never had an official manga adaptation. It's been around for nearly 50 years, and has been internationally famous for quite a while now. There have been official Star Trek manga and I'm sure there's plenty of Japanese Doctor Who doujinshi and fan art out there...hmm, @erinf of ANN's Shelf Life is the manga topics expert, maybe she knows if there was any official Doctor Who manga over the years.

From my understanding Doctor Who hasn't really ever been popular in Japan. The Peter Cushing movies made it to vhs release there decades ago, with only a handful of random classic eps being dubbed and broadcasted randomly since the 1960s. Also in the 80s there were a couple novelizations that made it to Japanese. Since then then first 2 seasons of the new series made it over via NHK but as far as I've heard from other Doctor Who fans it didn't get a lot of viewers and wasn't renewed after season 2. Someone since has picked up the Matt Smith series, but I can't find a lot of info on it.

I can't really find any doujinshi for doctor who, but you can do your own search via ドクター・フー
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

From my understanding Doctor Who hasn't really ever been popular in Japan. The Peter Cushing movies made it to vhs release there decades ago, with only a handful of random classic eps being dubbed and broadcasted randomly since the 1960s. Also in the 80s there were a couple novelizations that made it to Japanese. Since then then first 2 seasons of the new series made it over via NHK but as far as I've heard from other Doctor Who fans it didn't get a lot of viewers and wasn't renewed after season 2. Someone since has picked up the Matt Smith series, but I can't find a lot of info on it.

Japan is missing out!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3