• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Newbie to Anime Merchandise, Got Ripped!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manji12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:06 am Reply with quote
I started collecting anime stuff. Found out that more than half of are questionable. Especially the DVD's, CD's and wall scrolls.

I now know that I shouldn't buy DVD that has Chinese subtitles in it because they are not licensed. (Fansub?)

What about wall scrolls? I have ten. Some of them have GE, Z, BZ, and M letters on them.

Which one is real/licensed? I want to stop unknowingly buying from bootleggers.

Thanks. Please help.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:45 am Reply with quote
Try this page, which should answer most of your questions.

One thing I'll add before it's asked: on eBay, to avoid the bootlegs, I always the name of the company that releases the legit CD/DVD in Japan or North America as well, sometimes, as the catalogue number in a "full-text" search, since the sellers of legit goods will always include at least the name of the company that sells the legit item in the text of the item listing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BuffaloStyle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:00 am Reply with quote
True, true.

Maybe this is an over-generalization but, when something is priced really low (DVDs for $5-$9), chances are it is a bootleg. When dealing with ebay, it seems as though 75% of the stuff listed are bootlegs.

I totally agree with Tenchi in saying, "legit goods will always include at least the name of the company that sells the legit item in the text of the item listing". When looking for a Ranma season 4 boxset a couple of months ago, I found that some clever people will have the box cover on their item. Of course, they will not mention VIZ at all and they will say something like, "all 26 episodes on three discs". A warning flag went up for me since I know that there are 5 discs for that particular season.

Make sure to do some research first before putting down your bid. Absolutely know what you are really looking for.
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:38 am Reply with quote
It might just be a bootleg if:
-If it has 8 episodes per disc.
-If Chinese as well as English is on the Disc.
-If it's from a guy named Sun Devil.
-If it's a really great deal on a really long series.
-If it has art on the discs surface thats as good as the box.
-If it has Dubs on it and everything else they sell doesn't.
-If it is region zero.
-If it is from Asia, but not Japan.
-If its a VCD.
-If Kilshok appears in the credits.
-If the word damn is dan.

I bought a few, series that are really hard to find and my club wanted to see. I regret the waste of money and cheating the companies who now are getting good about providing anime clubs with dvds.

Last edited by king_micah on Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:16 am Reply with quote
manji12 wrote:
What about wall scrolls? I have ten. Some of them have GE, Z, BZ, and M letters on them.

I see that AnimeNation is selling GE#### wallscrolls, so I assume they're legitimate.. as for the rest, I'm not sure.

Once in a while you'll see a bootleg wallscroll with a slightly different name... "Card Captor Cherry" instead of "Card Captor Sakura" (yes, a real-life example). Othertimes, they might use the North American logo (something you typically won't see on an import wall-scroll) or make up a new logo with the US name but using a different font/style than the actual US logo.

Sometimes the bootlegs won't have logos... but IIRC plenty of legitimate wallscrolls also lack their series logo. I don't recall seeing any bootleg wallscrolls that actually use the Japanese logo (although some are very similar)

I would assume that most legitimate wallscrolls would have copyright information on the edge, or "Made in Japan" or something on the tag that comes with the scroll itself..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:09 am Reply with quote
For wallscrolls I now either buy ones that I can confirm that are imported from Japan, or are made by Great Eastern. However with wallscrolls it is hard to tell sometimes, I once bought an Ah! My Goddess wallscoll off of Anime Castle that ended up being bootlegged - so my advice is to stay away from Anime Castle. Animenation, and Right stuf tend to have good deals, and none of their items are bootleg, however my store of choice is Robert's Anime Corner.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:38 am Reply with quote
Yah, their bootlegs, and obviously everyone here seems to think otherwise, but.... I dont' mind 'em. I've found quality products at reasonable prices. I'm not sure if I'm suppossed to say so here, but there is a website that reviews bootlegs, so you get a sense of the quality of the picture, sound, subtitles, dubbing, etc. Gives you the front cover pic and the HK, Singapore company that does it too. People who have bought the CD's review them. So, basically, you can hunt for the imported anime you want, knowing ahead of time what you're going to get.

I know it's all a matter of opinion, but hey, I thought I might as well provide the other point of view and let the poster decide.

And yes, I've been burned too, but that's why I hunted for info like the site I suggested. If I post it, will this discussion get locked?? If not, I'll post it, but i wasn't sure.

Steve
manji12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:41 am Reply with quote
Thanks, for all the help!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:04 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
manji12 wrote:

I see that AnimeNation is selling GE#### wallscrolls, so I assume they're legitimate.. as for the rest, I'm not sure.

Actually, those are bootlegged, too. It's virtually impossible to find imported wallscrolls in the US, especially those that are your standard wallscroll size.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:11 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Actually, those are bootlegged, too. It's virtually impossible to find imported wallscrolls in the US, especially those that are your standard wallscroll size.

Do you mean that Great Eastern wall scrolls are bootlegged?
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Also check out your local Suncoast, or comic book stores for wallscrolls. They don't have the best selection, but chances are they are not bootleg because the stores don't want to run the risk of getting shut down.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Actually, those are bootlegged, too.

No, GE Entertainment only make licenced wall scrolls. They are not bootlegs.
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
Quote:

Actually, those are bootlegged, too.

No, GE Entertainment only make licenced wall scrolls. They are not bootlegs.

didn't know that. Embarassed

Can someone suggest a good place for legit anime posters? particularly promos?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say it, but so long as I like the design on something, I buy it, when it comes to wallscrolls. I really don't think the industry is going to collapse because I bought a bootleg wall scroll. CDs and DVDs, yeah, sure, but scrolls ain't exactly holding the industry up. I have one legit Hellsing scroll, a Castlevania SOTN one that I think is a bootleg and an Angel Sanctuary scroll that I know isn't legit. It just doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

-Z
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I've only bought one wall scroll as a present for a friend. All of my posters and such I got for free from promotions, contests, and stuff. I think the best bet if you really want legit stuff is to go to companies that you know do not and would not sell bootlegs. A good way to be sure is to buy directly from the production company itself, though the only company that I've seen selling stuff has been Manga Entertainment...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2