• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Special Guest Edition: Passion Fruit

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:

I wonder. Shueisha's josei publishing division Home-sha re-released Gokinjo about a year to two ago.

Huh. Well, like I said, my source may not have been accurate. Or maybe it was talking about the very early stuff, pre-Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai Personally my favorite title of hers is Kagen no Tsuki, although I do love Gokinjyo. WARP!!

Quote:
I do all the manga licensing, so yeah. SWEET!! (If people know my manga writing/critique, I am a josei fan.)

I knew I liked you. Laughing May I ask if you have a favorite mangaka?

st_owly wrote:
What I wouldn't give to read The Carp on the Chopping Block & The Cornered Mouse in printed form, in English...

That was the first yaoi I read, or at least the first truly explicit one. (I read Fake earlier, now that I think about it.) I have a French edition of that and most of her other stuff that's available in that language. I love her work...it seems somehow wrong that only two of her titles are in English.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I knew I liked you. Laughing May I ask if you have a favorite mangaka?

Naoki Yamamoto. I'm also very partial to SABE and Yukari Ichijo.
Shaenon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Happy Mania is SO GOOD. In fact, everything by Moyoco Anno is brilliant. She's one of my chief cartooning inspirations, not in the least because her art was initially kind of crummy but it's gotten really gorgeous over the years.

When I was in Japan I went to a little show of her artwork, and it was amazing. She did these incredible shadowboxes, and awesome fashion illustration.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:30 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Naoki Yamamoto.

So the person responsible for the licensing of manga at Vertical is a fan of Naoki Yamamoto. Does this mean that you'll soon be eagerly announcing the acquisition of a bunch of his titles, or is that a leap of logic/wishful thinking? Razz

Dance Till Tomorrow is a favourite of mine. I'd love to see more of Yamamoto's work in English.

What's that? Josei? Oh, right. Well, I recently picked up Sakuran, having been a fan of Anno's Flowers and Bees (which is a seinen manga) for many years, and I like it a lot. It may in fact be the only josei manga I own, though I love the anime adaptations of Nana, Paradise Kiss, and Honey & Clover.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
ElectricDork wrote:
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Naoki Yamamoto.

So the person responsible for the licensing of manga at Vertical is a fan of Naoki Yamamoto. Does this mean that you'll soon be eagerly announcing the acquisition of a bunch of his titles, or is that a leap of logic/wishful thinking? Razz

I've been at this for four years now... You'd think I would have gone there by now if it was possible. Most of his works are either very erotic, some bordering on lolicon, or from Viz's parent company Shogakukan.

I love his work though!

Quote:
Josei? Oh, right. Well, I recently picked up Sakuran, having been a fan of Anno's Flowers and Bees (which is a seinen manga) for many years, and I like it a lot.

Thanks!
NotintheMood

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
I wish that more Josei was published in in the US. I can't help but look at a cover like this: http://kc.kodansha.co.jp/product/top.php/1234643262 and get kinda wistful. With lovely watercolor art and on the fourth volume it must be good . . . but I know nothing about it.

it just seems with so little brought over that there must be more that is good, but over looked.

It's interesting to see so people talking about Sakuran, for some reason I hadn't thought of that as a Josei title, for some reason I thought it was seinen? I think that I will have to give that a shot.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
I believe Sakuran was published in a seinen magazine (Morning, if I remember correctly)
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I believe Sakuran was published in a seinen magazine (Morning, if I remember correctly)

You're confusing it with Hataraki-man.
Shaenon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
They're both technically seinen. Hataraki Man ran in Morning and Sakuran in Evening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2