• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
WHY do people (such as ourselves) watch Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lapsus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quote
Like the "Hello to all ANN users forum", this could become a "visited by all" forum too.

Basic idea - everyone spills the truth of why they are watching animes - be it horror, sci-fi, adventure or hentai, I could care less, but what are the trends of modern Anime viewers? Plain entertainment or zoned-in plot/superb ideal/philosfic searching.. maybe something in between?

I`ve been addict to Anime for all bunch of reasons: mainly it is the plot I am searching for, a great thought to base all the animation on. Secondly I enjoy masterful drawing/animation, where one stroke of colour just takes your breath or one white blur in a characters eye makes you cry your heart out. + it`s not bad if the show is entertaining and keeps you wide awake all the time Very Happy

This what I think, how `bout You?
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote
I mostly watch it now because everything else on TV sucks and anime is far superior to what is being shown now in the states. Anyway, I've been an anime fan for 11 years. I first got into anime during a visit to the Philippines 11 years ago and I was big into X-Men and Spider-Man. My cousins were into these animes like DBZ, Sailor Moon, Slam Dunk and YYH which were big throughout Asia at the time. I thought the stories, art, and action were way better what I was seeing and I've been a fan since.

Anime just breaks the stereotype that anything animated doesn't equal childish.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dethecus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
here to, TV has no fun to watch, I haven`t watch soo much animes yet.. startet to see Naruto inn the summer, watched over 100 in on week.. and I have seen FMA, it`s great.. know of other great animes? but why I watch it, it because it funny, great stories, good drawings...
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote
i agree with the others. in the past few years, TV in general has gone downhill, especially with the arrival of reality tv. If u were to count the years since i saw my first anime series, it would be over 15 years. Im 18 now. my first anime was when i was around 2. they were mainly Voltron and Little Bits. from that i moved onto Sailor Moon, which i didn't care if it was somewhat girly. then came the time when Gundam was all over Toonami, then Tenchi, then AS in 2001 when YYH, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop and some other Gundams were on. I've been going uphill ever since. The plots are way better, its more realistic in terms of real life situations, everything. It covers almost every genre in the book without making it super lame, or using the same plot much. Theres always a twist to the show, deeper meanings, and the endings can be left open while at the same time bring the story to a close. The only reason its animated is because theres usually no way it could be done the same way with live actors so perfectly. it even gets you into another country's culture and history. there are a few exceptions (VERY few, like one or two a year) with movies, but plain and simple, its the greatest type of TV entertainment EVER!
Pleroma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I love a good story and anime is an amazing genre that provides literally thousands of season lengh tales. It has something for every imaginable taste and an overal quality that far surpasses anything else on TV. Every story told adds something to our lives since as long as we remember it can be as real as what we experience first hand since ultimately memories are what makes up our "reality."
herbkir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I was drawn to anime by its artistic style. I was held to it by the stories. I favor the sci-fi and fantasy genres over the here-and-now series. Compared to most live-action, anime is a more intense experience of the story. (^_*)
Namie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think most anime are purely based on fantasy… but there are some which depict something closer to our hearts… I think the foremost reason why some of us are addicted to anime is its ability of rousing our feelings and emotions. And some of the characters are so genuine in personality; we almost feel we could relate to them Smile
Nirvana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Anime is more imaginative... I think anime would dare to go places wehre American television would not go, just due to the difference in American culture and Japanese culture. the Japanese are a lot more open minded and true to themselves I think.
Also, it's great how an anime series would be a connective series of episodes whereas American cartoons (and a lot of sitcoms) are just connected due to the fact they have a set of characters.

And it's not like TV is HORRIBLE... there's still Family Guy!! haha (and thats it -_-)
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I hate the distinction really.

I watch anime because it's animation, I care little if it's Japanese or whatever. I would've been happier if the ANN database contained all animation, not only the Japanese kind.
fargazer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
1. The storylines are much more complex, regularly dealing with shades of gray rather than just "good vs. evil". Look at the Escaflowne series; is Dornkirk evil, or just ruthlessly pursuing a worthy goal?

2. Anime is willing to kill off major characters in places western films would never consider. Many western action and drama series are actually somewhat boring - the question isn't "will they live", but rather "how will they get out of THIS mess". In anime you really do sit on the edge of your seat, because when someone's in danger they really are, even if a main character.

3. Anime has a wider variety of possible endings (though if you see enough, you start getting a feel for where a series is driving). Sure, the good guys may win and the bad guys lose, but maybe the losing bad guys turn out to be the good guys. Perhaps the good guys lose. Maybe the universe ends, and everyone loses, or even wins as a result.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
LadyMac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The biggest reason for me would be because it's animated, really. I love cartoons, I just love cartoons no matter what be the country of origin.
And MOST Anime is so different from the animation I see. I mean when you hit a certain age, people stop liking cartoons. Not everyone, but most. But I see Anime geared towards teens and young adults, as well as stuff for kids. I see great engrossing plots and I see gag-a-minute kid stuff.
So,
it gets point for being animated. And it gets point for being so diverse.
prettygirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:06 am Reply with quote
fargazer wrote:
1. The storylines are much more complex, regularly dealing with shades of gray rather than just "good vs. evil". Look at the Escaflowne series; is Dornkirk evil, or just ruthlessly pursuing a worthy goal?

2. Anime is willing to kill off major characters in places western films would never consider. Many western action and drama series are actually somewhat boring - the question isn't "will they live", but rather "how will they get out of THIS mess". In anime you really do sit on the edge of your seat, because when someone's in danger they really are, even if a main character.

3. Anime has a wider variety of possible endings (though if you see enough, you start getting a feel for where a series is driving). Sure, the good guys may win and the bad guys lose, but maybe the losing bad guys turn out to be the good guys. Perhaps the good guys lose. Maybe the universe ends, and everyone loses, or even wins as a result.

Wow... you took the words right out of my mouth Very Happy . Very good analysis. I especially agree with point 1 and 3. My favourite anime is Rurouni Kenshin and after watching each major battle (esp. the Shishio battle), I thought about it for days. Is Shishio really bad? Or is he in a way good? Is Kenshin right? Maybe not! I believed in the survival of the fittest but then Kenshin's philosophy also makes sense. Is the victor always right? Who gets to decide what's right or wrong? It was interesting. This is something that can't be found in Spongebob or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... ha ha ha! Just kidding. I know... different target audience.

EDIT= forgot to mention the hot anime guys!!! Another reason why I love anime. Gosh... wish some of those anime guys were REAL!!!
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:48 am Reply with quote
Well...for some pretty bad reasons.
1.) It's one of the things i like doing.
2.) I can get it without leaving my computer.
3.) I can get it for free.
4.) It takes very little effort.
5.) I can watch it when i want.

I'm veerrry lazy and I love my computer.
Everything else i enjoy doing (besides video games) requires me to leave the house and hang out with people (eeewww).

Hahaha...plus it's a great escape from the world.
I find it very interesting...and it's good to know what's out there.

Yea....
xion_theunborn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
There is always something new about anime not all of them have the same story line. If you look at t.v and movies it is the same stuff over and over again. The same can be said about some anime's like DBZ it got old after the Freezer sega. But anime in some form can keep you guessing.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:04 am Reply with quote
I honestly suspect it's more habit and familiarity for me at this point. I mean, from my perspective, anime's lost the "new, foreign, & different!" mystique, and I've long since lost the whole faux-superiority complex over live action and Western animation. It's now just another film medium for me. Yeah, anime produces a lot of wonderful stories, but so do Disney & Hanna-Barbera, and even Hollywood when they really want to. And with all of the above, most of their work does tend to be lackluster (yes, anime included), with the genuine, lasting winners in the stark minority.

At this point, I think I stick with anime mostly because it's what I'm most capable of navigating. I know better what to do and where to go and how to go about it to find the very best anime than I do to find the very best live action film or Western animation or TV. Do I know what I like in Western/live-action film & TV? Yes, but I'm much less experienced at wading through all the crap to find it than I am with anime. So while anime is just another avenue of entertainment for me that isn't really any better or worse than the others, it remains the one I turn to most often because it's become the one I'm most accustomed to dealing with and getting the very best out of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2