• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Licentious Licensing

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

WUT.

And people who watch shows digitally say we should get with the times, and to forget DVDs because it will diminish.

That's great and all, but I mostly prefer DVDs while someone prefers just stream. I'm actually subscribed to Funimation's online service, and I use an HDMI cable to connect to the TV. I HATE, absolutely DESPISE watching shows on the computer. There's no right or wrong way to watch a show, but I don't think I would call anyone insane over it.

Also, I never pay full MSRP for anything, unless I really, really want to.

The computer argument is a distraction, missing the point I am trying to make.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I sometimes wonder how Western anime fans would deal having to live in Japan, where everything is 400-450 dollars per series.

They would have the good sense not to be anime fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByron227

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh thats easy, a combination of DVR, streaming (legal or illegal), reverse importing and piracy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
As far as I am aware, no company has been able to make streaming as profitable an endeavour as releasing home video media (DVDs & Blu-Rays). That's why we haven't seen licensees focus on streaming, because the money just ain't there. They'll use Crunchyroll to tell them if a show was popular or not and therefore help their decision-making for the home video release. But they don't expect much in the way of profits from streaming in its own right.

So, ergo, that's why we still see such a huge emphasis on physical media rather than streaming; smart companies follow the money and there isn't much money to be found in streaming.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I sometimes wonder how Western anime fans would deal having to live in Japan, where everything is 400-450 dollars per series.

or just.....you know...watch it on the tele.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Do I find the extra cost for a day-and-date release of Fate/Zero worth it?

Do I find making two car payments on not a car worth it?

I'll wait the two years for the R1 blu-rays and a dub.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
That may not be the only way to watch anime nowadays, but it's still the only way to own it. For those of us that grew up collecting DVDs, there's a definite appeal to having a physical release to display in one's library and knowing you will always have that title to rewatch in the future.

But if you're only interested in watching a series once, then I understand.
Like all that nonsense that physical media is dead when there's shelves of it at the supermarket, I wish people would quit talking like this is a generational thing cause I know enough about sociology that its crap.

If people of any age group can get something for nothing then many of them will.

And collectors exist in all age brackets. In Anime Insider just three years ago (bring it back BTW!) people were sending in photos of their anime and manga collections to show off, these people were in their teens to early 20s. I own shelves of anime and manga too.

If there exists a generational gap, which I bet there isn't, its more to do with computer literacy and knowing how to torrent and burn DVDs.

(Hint: if people don't consider physical copies to be something good no one would burn their downloads to a blank disc. Wink )
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Or they could evolve from the cheapo R1 collector mentality to Japanese crazed otaku mentality.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Or they could evolve from the cheapo R1 collector mentality to Japanese crazed otaku mentality.
Well, when in Akiabara..... Laughing
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

They'd DVR everything, like normal people do.
That's an interesting point, because the reason anime episodes are only 25 minutes long is fans were encouraged to set their videos to tape shows broadcast at about midnight then marathon the entire series later. I guess you can do that with a DVD recorder, but I'm guessing a hard drive has limited space to do that with multiple series at once.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Mate, I did that back when Sci-Fi was showing anime and later when Rapture and even later Anime Central was on Sky. Sky+ is the bomb. Others would know it as TiVO. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

The computer argument is a distraction, missing the point I am trying to make.

What do you mean distraction?

I'll admit, I don't really get your point. But I'm trying to, really.

I went back and read it a second time.

In general I just disagree with you, and I'll leave it at that.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
brand wrote:
It's not like NIS can license Higurashi, doesn't Funimation hold the rights to that? I remember asking Funimation a few year ago about getting the second season of Higurashi and they basically said they would if the first season sold better. I guess it didn't.

And I don't see the PS3 version of the Umineko novels ever coming out here. Not only would the text take forever to translate but then editing. And doesn't the PS3 version have voice also? That would have to be dubbed (because Sony demands that kind of thing). It seems like a super costly endeavor.

I think Sony is starting to give into companies about that policy. The latest Record of Agarest War 2 got a disc release without a dub.

The policy is still there, but if you wave enough money in front of Sony they'll look the other way.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

Why do they need to? (Not trying to sound argumentative, I'm genuinely curious as to why you say that.) DVD sales are still where most of the R1 money is being made, so it's not like it'd be worse for the industry.

So, people can actually buy shows they truly like and want to watch again at some point (I have no problem for the fans who buy a lot because they do like a lot though)? These days, companies are trying to branch out so people don't have to watch everything on their computer. Right now, between CR and Hulu+, there is a lot of stuff you can watch on your TV via a no more than $100 box (dunno what Funi has on the market, but that adds a ton of shows).

What's the point of blind-buying these days when fans have easy, legal access to watch shows before buying?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

What do you mean distraction?

I'll admit, I don't really get your point. But I'm trying to, really.

I went back and read it a second time.

In general I just disagree with you, and I'll leave it at that.

The point is that anime is designed to be watched as week-by-week airing, with new shows coming out every three months. You then buy the shows you enjoyed enough to want to own.

Buying the discs of every single show you watch is nuts. Its always been nuts!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11