• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The size of your collection.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Hope this is the right place to post this.

I've haven't really been a part of the anime community, even though I've been watching and buying it for a good seven years now. Which I chalk up to bad experiences with fans early on. So I'm in the dark about alot of things. So I'm kinda a newbie.

One thing I want to know is the average size of peoples collections. Seeing the only people I usely talk to either don't watch anime or not as much as me. They think its kinda weird that I have a whole bookshelf just for anime/manga. (even thow they can say the same for what they like)

So if anyone would to enlighten me, it would be appreciated.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
You had to ask...

I just realized that I have not updated my list of anime since last September. However at that point I had 294 TV series, 128 OAV series and 77 movies. I'll update this if I get a chance to fix the list.

Oh, and 3806 volumes of manga. That list is mostly up todate.

I've been at this for 15 years this month. I've only met a couple of anime watchers live, this is my anime/manga community.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45

Would you say thats average for how many years you've been at it?
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
According to a spreadsheet last updated in May of 2011, I have 770 anime DVDs across 190 titles.

I've been buying DVDs since 2000.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, for my anime collection according to DVDAF it currently stands at 1421 titles on 2133 discs. I'm not sure how that all breaks down as far as TV series, OAVs and movies like Alan45 broke his down though.

For manga I have 1987 volumes on hand. I have a good amount preordered, but I don't count them until I have them in hand.

Then there's figures. This is a little harder to get a number on because while I have an MFC page going, I haven't added a lot of the smaller figures that I still haven't gotten around to unpacking and displaying. It currently stands at 178 figures of varying sizes, but that number is more likely to be closer to 220 or so with all the ones I still have packed up.

I'd say I really started collecting about 11 years ago. That's when I bought my first DVD set. I had picked up a few sets of anime on VHS, but I didn't really get into the collecting spirit until DVD came about.

Also, I'd say Alan45 and I are probably not the norm as far as collections go. There are also a few others with hefty sized collections, but I'd say by and large we're not typical.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
@ Bright Spear
I have no idea if that is avarage or not. As I said, I don't know many anime fans except the people who post here. If I had to guess, I would say I'm light on anime and heavy on manga. A lot of anime collectors don't do manga at all.

Like Sailor S, I have a lot of figures and no real idea how many. I also have an extensive collection of posters and some trading card series.

I basically buy what appeals to me. I made no attempt to keep track of what I had until a year or so ago and then only because several people asked.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, not trying to start a pissing match,(which I think I made it sound with my posts). Just trying to figure out the average. I know the average for comic books and scifi stuff, just didn't know about anime and manga in the states.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure there is a typical size when it comes to anime collections. Here's a quick snapshot of my collection, and I've only been buying anime since January of 2009. There's also a few dozen figures not pictured in there; my shelves span several walls, so I can't get the whole thing in one shot.

But yea, collector's vary based on several factors. I mean, it all starts off with what kind of fan person is? Are they a buyer or a collector? Collector's tend to have a bit of a hardcore streak in them where they buy almost anything they like, do lots of preordering and usually only get limited editions. Buyers usually wait for price drops in the form or re-releases, opt for regular editions of shows they don't absolutely love, and then there are some that only buy what they consider the best of the best. Collectors also tend to have much larger collections because, like I said, they tend to buy anything that's shiny or has "Limited Edition" slapped on it. At the core they're same person - they're fans that buy anime- but they go about in completely different ways because their mentalities are different.

Then you start getting into the money aspect of it. Size of collection over years buying always has one important variable: How much money do have or are willing to spend on anime? Me and a few others around here aren't opposed to spending several hundred dollars a month, and at a rate like that, it's inevitable that your collection will grow faster than someone who spends considerably less. I didn't get a collection that size over only four years by being frugal (or smart...).

Some people have been collecting for decades, some only a few years. Some people spend $5000 a year, some spend $500. Some people buy everything, some people are picky. There's just too much to consider for there to be a "typical" size.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Yep, pretty much the stuff I judge other collectors. Its good to know it carries over to anime the same. Didn't know if it being not as big over here would scew things a bit.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
At the other end of the spectrum we have people like me who aren't really big collectors, but buy things things we like enough to want to own, rewatch, and share with friends. I also don't really read/buy much manga. My collection of discs could fit on this single shelf if I moved the games/artbooks. Not a big collection, but I pick up the important stuff Wink

(camera phone got a scuff over the camera eye recently so now everything is blurrier than usual Sad I hope it's readable)

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6442/shelf01.jpg
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/9229/shelf02.jpg
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/7859/shelf03.jpg
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1659/shelf04.jpg
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2939/img00001201207091843.jpg

Not pictured: A few things currently on loan, my manga collection which numbers less than 100 volumes, and my fansub collection.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I have to elaborate my way of seeing things. I know theirs no bench marks, or a number you have to reach and alot of different factors. To me, they're people who like something, collectors, more involved collectors, and people like Alan45, and Sailor S. Its overly simplified but it works.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
DVDaf says I have 1148 titles and 2072 discs worth of anime, but this is way off because I own a lot of singles and DVDaf counts each single volume from a series as a separate title. Doing my own count using my collection list on ANN yields 614 titles and 1893 discs, though I may not be counting some "extras" discs, but I think the number of titles is much more correct on my count. There are people on this site with larger collections and people with smaller but I don't know what the average would be. I've been collecting anime on DVD and BD since November 2003.

For manga I come up with 78 titles and 350 volumes, there are some Hino Horror volumes I have been unable to add to my collection on ANN as they are not listed in the encyclopedia so those numbers are slightly off. Obviously I collect more anime than manga.

I also have some figures and quite a few artbooks, as well as a lot of issues of Newtype USA and Megami magazines, along with some other Japanese magazines.
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
I'm probably the cheap-budget-collector-type if such a thing is considered to exist. I've always looked the the price first before deciding if I want it (anything less than 40% off makes me sad), though even so, I'm probably not anywhere near a lot of the other collectors as far as sheer numbers owned, despite buying since Ranma/Slayers/DBZ VHS tapes.

DVDAF count is about 641 titles (probably around 300 in reality), 1246 discs, I also prioritize thinpaks (if it's somewhat cost effective double-dip for them to save space.) Manga/novels are much smaller at about 20 series and only half are enough done/caught up to current release, as well as about 14 figures, lots of Megami/Nyantype posters, and the occasional import game.

Most of my friends barely have anything, and what they do generally are what I've either sold for really cheap or just given away when I double-dip the thinpaks.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:04 am Reply with quote
Let's see. I own 878 manga + novel and artbook volumes, equating to material from 168 different franchises, and 38 anime series/anime movies/live action movies. I'm much more of a manga collector than anime collector, mainly because most anime I would buy never gets released here.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
Looking at the responses here, it looks like I'm not quite as bad as I thought Laughing

Though you can't exactly get an average this way. The people who have a lot of stuff are a lot more likely to reply than the people who bought just their favorite show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4