• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Steins;Gate's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rveniss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
drale wrote:
Wall of text.

Hell, I couldn't even tell you the names of more than just a couple Japanese voice actors. Frankly, I don't even care. They're just going to be there, no matter what I watch, kind of like the "default settings" on the shows.

I try to watch shows--especially more recent ones--dubbed, and unless there's a character or two who's dubbed voice I really just can't stand, I'll finish the whole series dubbed.

If it's an older show, before dubs started improving, or the dub happens to have a very poor performance by one or more voice actors, I'll grudgingly switch over to the sub. I don't like looking at subtitles unless I have to, because I care far more about appreciating the work of the animators to its fullest extent that I do about the voice actors. Not saying I'm not a fast reader, but even glancing down at them every few seconds sort of de-synchronizes me from the show.

Instead of caring about the Japanese cast, who are always going to be there, I start learning the who's who of english voice actors, so I can make a fair guess of whether or not I'm going to enjoy a series' dub. If people would stop raging about dubs being "consistently inferior", and actually care more about the dub voice actors, maybe we'd start seeing better dubs. Maybe more shows would get dubbed that wouldn't be otherwise.

There have been a number of dubs that, in my opinion, were miles away better than the originals. To name a few: Fullmetal Alchemist in general, Code Geass, Welcome to the NHK.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
seems pretty good from the limited sample.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
It's going to be difficult to top Miyano Mamoru and Kana Hanazawa as Okabe and Mayuri...

No, no it's not. It really isn't. I don't care how great these people are to anime fans, they're not all that special.

Thank you for saying this, this Seiyuu worship is patently ridiculous.

Some people do ignore/bash dubs too much, or praise the Japanese performances beyond what is reasonable, that is true. But in this case, Kit-Tsukasa's statement was perfectly accurate. Miyano Mamoru did a spectacular job as Okabe. Probably my favorite performance by a Seiyuu ever. So yes, it will be difficult to top him, even for a seemingly great actor like J. Michael Tatum. Forget topping, if he can simply do as good a job it will be incredibly impressive.

I wasn't quite as impressed with Kana Hanazawa as Mayuri, but she did do a very good job of bringing out Mayuri's quirks and making her a genuinely cute character. So it's still going to be tough to follow, especially depending on how the adaption translates some of Mayuri's habits into English.

I'm hoping the dub job manages to pull it off, for the benefit of dub fans. But it definitely won't be easy. Saying that doesn't mean I'm some blind sub fan who's against all dubs (there are a few series I prefer dubbed actually), it just means I was particularly impressed with the performances in Steins;Gate.

This is exactly the point I'm getting at. There are definitely some dubs out there that do better than their Japanese counterparts. I just think the bar for Steins;Gate is far higher than many other titles that have been brought over.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that really bothers me about the trailer is the constant droning of "time travel?"

Yes. We know. There's time travel in the trailer. Can we please hear the damn voices?
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Kenpachi 91 wrote:
terminus24 wrote:
What? Not quite sure why the inclusion of a dub would be so bad, it'll still have the Japanese audio, so the dub is actually completely optional...

It's just a personal thing. Like I said, I won't be 100% satisfied with my purchase. The fact that it's on there, is a downer for me.
So I assume you don't buy any US TV shows or movies that have Spanish/French/Portuguese/whatever dubs on the discs, either? Just think of it as getting the Japanese version at an 80% discount.

Yeah, guys like Kenpachi irritate me immensely. It's not really envy because he's getting what he wants but it's just as destructive. He despises that other people get something they like. It's beyond ridiculous.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Is it a bad thing that I don't think Mamoru Miyano is all that and a bag of chips?

I just don't compare any English VA to a Japanese VA. I think that it all depends on the director. Apparently, any VA has to interpret the character by their own interpretation...or what the director says.

Sooo..culturally, I just can't compare. Vocally, I just can't compare. Even acting wise. Bad voices are bad voices. Good ones are good.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Dub or sub is a matter of preference.

All I know is that I don't want it on TV.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Why don't you want it on TV? You're not forced to watch it on there if you don't want to....?
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's already spent over 100 hours+ (VN, plus 2 viewings of anime series) of the original cast, I think it's pretty much impossible for me to shake off all sense of awkwardness/discomfort with this dub. Miyano blew my mind as Okabe, I don't think anyone can top that performance. It's probably one of the best VA performances I've seen period.

I'm still happy to see an R1 release so I can shelf this and enjoy the extras. Maybe explore the dub for curiousity's sake.
Gemneye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
besides the dub will the box set include dual audio with subs?
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
@Gemneye
Funimation includes dual audio with subs for all of their anime releases currently. I'm pretty sure it won't be different with Steins;Gate.

(I do have to wonder if it will have locked subs, though.)
WallNotifyer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
So, we're getting Mari (And a whole bunch of other stuff, but I just watched the rebuilds today and loved the character to bits), Brina Palencia, Patrick Seitz, great character VAs Cherami Leigh and Lindsay Seigel, J. Michael Tatum, AND Christopher Sabat?

I think Funi might have possibly done a good job here. Perhaps.

Tyson, Cavanagh, and Ross being unknowns concerns me a bit, but I'm most pleased with the overall strength the dub is going to have.

rveniss wrote:

If it's an older show, before dubs started improving, or the dub happens to have a very poor performance by one or more voice actors, I'll grudgingly switch over to the sub. I don't like looking at subtitles unless I have to...

Instead of caring about the Japanese cast, who are always going to be there, I start learning the who's who of english voice actors, so I can make a fair guess of whether or not I'm going to enjoy a series' dub. If people would stop raging about dubs being "consistently inferior", and actually care more about the dub voice actors, maybe we'd start seeing better dubs. Maybe more shows would get dubbed that wouldn't be otherwise.

I like this guy. He speaks true facts.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
I watched the first 5 episodes of the dub at Otakon and quite honestly I thought it was excellent, so did my friend. The audience also seemed to really enjoy it.

I think it is hard to top the original performances especially Miyano Mamoru and I don't think they did quite that (although J. Michael Tatum was very good) but the script is just great. If anything I felt the humor was made more accessible to Western audiences in the dub.

I know some people might not like that some of the lines were changed (of course I am sure the sub version will be more accurate) but I am happy because I thought the changes they made will make it easier to show the series to a friend. I know my friend would love the sci-fi and romance of SG but I felt she wouldn't get all the jokes of the original, creating a barrier to entry but now that is a less of an issue.

So yeah basically in my opinion it was a great dub.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the series in it's original language, but I did watch the eps during the premiere at Otakon.

I thought it was a damn nice job. Yes, some of the references aren't going to work in the original language (and vice versa), but even that works very nicely with the storyline.

This is a series I'll be buying.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I actually pre-ordered mine during the panel. Well the internet was working so I thought why not. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6