• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are you afraid of the bottle fairies?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masterzephyr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the review for this all I could think was what the hell. Isn't it bad enough that shows are heavily censored as it is. So, why go and make something without an edge. Could this be an attempt to overthrow hello kitty? Lastly, how are they going to keep us interested (if we weren't already trun off) for 20 something episodes? ....I think i have lost my will to live.

P.S. twins are good...sorry couldn't resist the temptation.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Moving to the Anime forum, as this is not in direct response to any frontpage news item, column, or review, and therefore does not belong in Talkback.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese love cute things. No surprise to me that they made this. Also watch it, you may actually find it interesting, I did. Some of my other favorite uber cute shows: Di Gi Charat (particularly Panyo Panyo), Pita Ten, Galaxy Angel, Azumanga Daioh, Nurse Witch Komugi, and Popotan. The last two have some sexual content in them though. Also something similar to this is the concept of moe. It's quite a bit different than cute though but they do share some similarities. There's a moe tournament we're holding here. Round 1 should be starting soon.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Not if their names are Vicodin, Effexor, OxyContin or Xanax.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:00 am Reply with quote
What are bottle fairies? Like the ones from Zelda?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:10 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure he's refering to these bottle fairies.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that doesn't sound as funny.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Oh, that doesn't sound as funny.

OMG . . . if the kid in the anime did what to fairies what the VGcats comic did, THEN I'd watch it.
masterzephyr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Well now that we've established how little fear there is for the fairies, let's answer the last question: Will the overtake the Hello kitty for the coveted uber cute crown???!!!
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
masterzephyr wrote:
Well now that we've established how little fear there is for the fairies, let's answer the last question: Will the overtake the Hello kitty for the coveted uber cute crown???!!!

I wouldn't put Bottle Fairy and Hello Kitty in the same category. Believe it or not but Bottle Fairy was actually an anime aimed at adult males. Hello Kitty was aimed at little girls. I don't have any interest in it either. But if there's going to be an uber cute crown at all, I'd probably give it to Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat. I love the first paragraph for the review of it:

Patachu wrote:
The darker side of anime may not lie with the explicit and graphically violent, but with the ridiculously cute. Some fans have watched enough samurai bloodbaths and sexual deviancy to the point where nothing in animation could possibly shock them. But sit these same people in front of a hyperactive kids' show decked out in primary colors, and they will whimper as if their aesthetic sensibilities have just been clubbed with a Kawaii paddle. That's the power of Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat, where cat-eared hats and nonsense syllables rule all, and only those with an iron resolve can withstand such pure, unbridled silliness. It's a show that has its moments, but put it all together and it becomes way too intense except for those with the sweetest tooth.

Lol. Awesome. Bottle Fairy would probably come in a very close second though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1