• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AnimeSuki down again :(

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Not too long ago, AnimeSuki was taken down as a result of DoS attacks. Well, it's down again...and according to what's on their main page, it could be for good.

Quote:
It happened again!
At the present moment the server is again offline because my current server provider apparently also got fed up with the DoS attacks on AnimeSuki which affected their network.

I'm not exactly sure what will happen now, it doesn't necessarily mean I'll lose my server again (but it very well could!), although it's extremely likely they will not allow me to host AnimeSuki on the server again (if they put it back online).

What will happen now? When will AnimeSuki be back? The answer is it's to early to tell.

Gerard Krijgsman (aka GHDpro)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cgoten

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Crap... This sucks.... Well, I guess it's not too bad considering the only series I download currently is Naruto... But AnimeSuki was very convenient. I hope it comes back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jadin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Ghaah. I was just d/ling kodomo pack 1 last night. it was like 80 % done but I had to turn off my compy. I figured I'd resume the torrent today. damnit all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:48 pm Reply with quote
What makes me sick is that somewhere out there there's likely some scumbag who feels he's a Crusader for Truth and Justice. Stopping the evil pirates with the power of DoS!

First off, Animesuki was incredibly strict about removing licensed series from distribution. Heck, they'd even posted a warning not to cry when a whole bunch of series were removed after Anime Expo.

Secondly, it's not like Animesuki hosted torrents itself, save for a small number of series. All of the new links pointed to other sites. Those sites are still up (and haven't even been attacked AFAIK). So everyone can still get their fansubs, it's just not as convenient.

And finally, what is it with these hosting services throwing in the towel so fast regarding DoS attacks? Way to advertise to potential corporate customers, huh? If they can't even successfully defend a little anime site, good luck handling a news or political site.

------RM
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:43 am Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
And finally, what is it with these hosting services throwing in the towel so fast regarding DoS attacks? Way to advertise to potential corporate customers, huh? If they can't even successfully defend a little anime site, good luck handling a news or political site.

It certainly wasn't little.

google places AnimeSuki as the 4th bittorrent link. That doesn't necessarily indicate the size of the site, but you're more likely to find bigger sites at the top of a general search than AnimeFan2932's geocities' page.

Also, anime fandom's bittorrent acceptance has not gone unnoticed by others: The anime scene was one of the first to start distributing files and so far it's been a huge success. More people can be served, and they can be served much faster.

Sites get attacked all the time. It's CONSTANT attacks that get sites killed.. if for no other reason than because of the attacks chewing up bandwidth.

And where are the attacks coming from? They're coming from university student's computers that have trojans installed. They're coming from broadband users who don't realize they're loaded of viruses from kazaa and such. They're coming from scriptkiddies who want to brag to their 5 friends that they took out a big and powerful website, when in actuality all they did was press a button and used the same old technique that no website can defend against, short of going offline or banning thousands of IP addresses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRobin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:20 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Also, anime fandom's bittorrent acceptance has not gone unnoticed by others: The anime scene was one of the first to start distributing files and so far it's been a huge success. More people can be served, and they can be served much faster.

One of my pet peeves (seen again in this article): BitTorrent is not a "filesharing" program and I wish folks would stop calling it that. BitTorrent is not in the same category as Kazaa. Legally speaking, there is no difference between downloading via BitTorrent and downloading directly from a webserver. BitTorrent simply shares bandwidth among all concurrent downloaders.

I just hate it when I see articles talking about the evils of Kazaa, Gnutella, and Morpheus, and then they throw BitTorrent in as well. BitTorrent is not the same thing.

------RM
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:37 am Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
I just hate it when I see articles talking about the evils of Kazaa, Gnutella, and Morpheus, and then they throw BitTorrent in as well. BitTorrent is not the same thing.

Sure it is.

The only difference is that BT shares _1_ file, while Kazaa and such share many files.

And unlike Kazaa, you can't NOT share the file unless you modify the client (which typically kills the performance of the transfer). It's still P2P (Peer-to-Peer) because it's _peers_ and not a centralized server that gives out the file. Yes, you need a torrent file to download from, but that doesn't change HOW the bandwidth is used if the .torrent exists.

It's file-sharing, just on a very small scale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:00 pm Reply with quote
But requires seeds and trackers that can be pulled by the fansubbers and mostly stopped.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Speaking in terms of the technology, okay: you're distributing parts of a file on your system, which I guess would make it "file-sharing". Of course, by that definition, even a straight download from a website is file-sharing -- the sharing is just between two people. Smile

But speaking pragmatically, BitTorrent is the same as a straight download from a website:

-- In both cases, you go to the website, click on the URL and obtain the file.
-- In both cases, one entity is responsible for controlling the download. In a straight download, the file can be removed. In a BitTorrent download, the torrent file can be removed.

And as far as a "centralized server" is concerned, there indeed is one. It's the tracker. It keeps track of who is downloading each file. Without that server, all downloads stop.

------RM
Freddy C

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:55 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT - If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. -C]
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Freddy C wrote:
what the F**K why do you go to animesuki huh??? oh it must be the forums...yea that's it

You brought up an 8 month old thread just to make a comment like that? Why?
Freddy C

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
Freddy C wrote:
what the F**K why do you go to animesuki huh??? oh it must be the forums...yea that's it

You brought up an 8 month old thread just to make a comment like that? Why?

okay, this was just explained to , i cant be bothered to tell people the details, but i was going through old threas to se what people have been saying

about the comment above, well cass would know herself Wink

ps. i wouldnt bring up old threads again
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Freddy C wrote:

Well that was wildly inappropriate, not to mention pointless and unnecessary. Wait, I think I have just the perfect word for this. Hang on, it's right here on the top of my tongue...

Locked. Also, please don't bring up old topics unless you have something worthy to add to it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1