• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Anime's 2-Hour Nami Special to Air in August

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
This sounds cool. I agree that each character should get their own special!

Honestly, people who hate on One Piece, the best selling manga of all time, according to the very site you're reading this on, are probably ten year old trolls who still run around with Naruto headbands on.

Or perhaps... they just don't like it. Perfectly reasonable. Few things have universal appeal, and One Piece certainly isn't one of them. It could be they don't really like shonen action in general. Or they're a fan of action sequences with a half-way reasonable pace. Maybe they used to like it but they've gone off it a bit thanks to the mostly fairly dull New World arcs. Or maybe they're just put off by the hatefully arrogant fanbase.
ZoRo99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
RyougaZell wrote:
Funny. This arc was the one that seal the deal for me about loving One Piece. And as I've read at Arlong Park Forums... most of the fanbase over there believe the same.

Oh well.

yea same here thats the arc that got me hooked on one piece its a great arc but people are always gonna bitch about something they need something to bitch so don't waste ur time on them
ZoRo99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
Bob from Accounting wrote:
vashthekaizoku wrote:
This sounds cool. I agree that each character should get their own special!

Honestly, people who hate on One Piece, the best selling manga of all time, according to the very site you're reading this on, are probably ten year old trolls who still run around with Naruto headbands on.

Or perhaps... they just don't like it. Perfectly reasonable. Few things have universal appeal, and One Piece certainly isn't one of them. It could be they don't really like shonen action in general. Or they're a fan of action sequences with a half-way reasonable pace. Maybe they used to like it but they've gone off it a bit thanks to the mostly fairly dull New World arcs. Or maybe they're just put off by the hatefully arrogant fanbase.
lol where u getting ur info bro there has only first arc of new world and it still on going and so far its been [expletive] epic so don't know what u talking about
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
ZoRo99 wrote:
lol where u getting ur info bro there has only first arc of new world and it still on going and so far its been [expletive] epic so don't know what u talking about

Since the person who I was replying to referred to One Piece as 'the best-selling manga of all time', I was talking about the manga, in which Fishman Island, which was dull as hell and revolved around the lamest antagonist Oda had ever offered up and has moved on to a new arc, which so far looks like it might be going one worse.
ZoRo99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: No name-calling. -TK]
Arekusei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote

Since the person who I was replying to referred to One Piece as 'the best-selling manga of all time', I was talking about the manga, in which Fishman Island, which was dull as hell and revolved around the lamest antagonist Oda had ever offered up and has moved on to a new arc, which so far looks like it might be going one worse.

Not so fast - while it true that Fisherman Island arc was boring, one cannot tell the same about current arc. Its actually very good so far. It has Smoker in it as well as few other good characters. It happens on Vegapunks old laboratory(and Vegapunk will probably play one of most important role ending of manga). Only minus point so far was the samurai who probably gonne be new member of the team. I dont really like him yet.
ZoRo99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
Arekusei wrote:

Not so fast - while it true that Fisherman Island arc was boring, one cannot tell the same about current arc. Its actually very good so far. It has Smoker in it as well as few other good characters. It happens on Vegapunks old laboratory(and Vegapunk will probably play one of most important role ending of manga). Only minus point so far was the samurai who probably gonne be new member of the team. I don't really like him yet.
thinking that samurai is gonna join is retarded there have been no prove of it yet also i don't think fishmen island was bad it was good not great but still good people expected this arc to be like whitebeard war arc which was not going to be the case this arc was good for beginning arc of new world and timeskip and if u compare it naruto shippuden first 2 arc and bleach full bringer arc then fishmen island was the best out of the big 3 beginning arc of timeskip now things are getting crazy and crazy by chapters in punk hazard
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
RyougaZell wrote:
Funny. This arc was the one that seal the deal for me about loving One Piece. And as I've read at Arlong Park Forums... most of the fanbase over there believe the same.

Oh well.

aye whenever i used to reccomend one piece to anyone i said to give it a chance and if they didn't like it by the end of arlong park they'd never like it.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
A Nami special, huh? Sounds interesting.
Since I liked Nami's backstory and the Arlong arc, I'll be sure to check this out.

ZoRo99 wrote:

While I will say that I personally don't like Hody Jones, I can't say he was a lame villian. When Fukaboshi asked Hody "what did humans ever do to you" and he replied with "nothing", he instantly became a good villian in my eyes, because he was completely different than past villains.

He had no motivation, he wasn't out for revenge, he didn't suffer any emotional trauma, or sad past. That's just how he was raised. He was fed racial hatred since he was a child. And given the fact that there are so many people in the real world who think and act just like Hody (racial supremacy, anti-immigration, KKK, etc.) makes me think that Oda was intentionally trying to convey a message about raising children in harsh, prejudice environments.
ZoRo99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
A Nami special, huh? Sounds interesting.
Since I liked Nami's backstory and the Arlong arc, I'll be sure to check this out.

ZoRo99 wrote:

While I will say that I personally don't like Hody Jones, I can't say he was a lame villian. When Fukaboshi asked Hody "what did humans ever do to you" and he replied with "nothing", he instantly became a good villian in my eyes, because he was completely different than past villains.

He had no motivation, he wasn't out for revenge, he didn't suffer any emotional trauma, or sad past. That's just how he was raised. He was fed racial hatred since he was a child. And given the fact that there are so many people in the real world who think and act just like Hody (racial supremacy, anti-immigration, KKK, etc.) makes me think that Oda was intentionally trying to convey a message about raising children in harsh, prejudice environments.

dude that was the main reason of fish men island arc ,fishman island explored themes like the evils of racism, prejudice, politics, change versus tradition. but there are people who simply ignored the themes and call this arc boring i personally like it because the issue needed to be pushed in this arc and evils of racism is rare them in shonen genre but there are people who are gonna overlook the themes of it so don't waste on ur time on those retards by explaining the themes to them
Arekusei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
ZoRo99 wrote:

dude that was the main reason of fish men island arc ,fishman island explored themes like the evils of racism, prejudice, politics, change versus tradition. but there are people who simply ignored the themes and call this arc boring i personally like it because the issue needed to be pushed in this arc and evils of racism is rare them in shonen genre but there are people who are gonna overlook the themes of it so don't waste on ur time on those retards by explaining the themes to them

Just because he tries to explain something doesnt necessarily make it good or interesting. Shounen mangas are generally bad place for trying to go into politics. Readers either dont really care about it or the genre limits you in how you can do it. Either way you get a medicore arc with your message not getting trough. Its better to concentrate on making interesting manga instead of trying to send any political messages. There are othere genres of manga that are better fit for this.
smokes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
so it will be like the Chopper movie.. only with nami..
can't wait to see the fights in the new animation
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
So you guys don't want a Nami special because it's not fanservice? So Nami is just boobs to you? Why not look at her for the character she really is: A strong, likeable female character who breaks the mold of other Shounen heroines. Of course, her boobs make some of her appearance, but that's not all she is.

Not really. All her fights are pretty silly (granted, most fights in OP are silly and goofy) but hers tend to revolve on the villain being dumb enough to let her set up some contrived combo. She never gets anything good like the guys do.

Besides, it's silly not to say her boobs are one of her main characteristics, and it's not really shameful to play it up. I'm not saying just make a gravure idol movie where she just lounges on the beach for two hours (or do.. I wouldn't object to it, but it wasn't what I meant) They could make the special like the current Lupin series. Cool action and sexiness as Nami has her own solo adventure or something. Basically, something new, rather than just a clip-show/recap special.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I know I wasn' exactly shitting my pants when I saw this but whats with all the fanservice wanting and hate on the arc? To me the arlong arc was a great way to end the east blue saga (which after rewatching it, I appriciate and like to a good extent.) Plus Nami's more than just boobs people. I'm not one of those snobs who goes around saying "BAAAH FANSERVICE IS EVL!!!" Hell, I like fanservice when used carefully and in the right place (as in not in the middle of a damn fight) but This arc is what really molds nami's character to what it is today and she's recived much more development (you know, other than her figure)

All in all seeing it in HD'll be awesome, but I'll see it when I see it. Its not really the OP news I wanted to hear but its nice and should be decent.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Arekusei wrote:
The episodes that did actually tell her history were among the most boring ones(as most scenes in mangas and anime that show what happened earlier, for some reason). She had better roles earlier and later on.

I'm sorry... did we watch/read the same Arlong Park arc? Because I have no idea how the words you are typing make any kind of logical sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4