• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Opinions on X?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, I just came back from a rather amusing and long music trip. Anyways, while on the trip I decided to buy the movie X. From the encyclopedia, it lists that it's an alternate retelling of the series, so I was wondering if you've never seen the series, will it present some confusion? This was somewhat of a blind purchase of an anime.

And if you guys wanted, you could also offer some opinions on what you thought of the movie too. That would be greatly appreciated.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
kk wrote:
Hey guys, I just came back from a rather amusing and long music trip. Anyways, while on the trip I decided to buy the movie X. From the encyclopedia, it lists that it's an alternate retelling of the series, so I was wondering if you've never seen the series, will it present some confusion? This was somewhat of a blind purchase of an anime.

And if you guys wanted, you could also offer some opinions on what you thought of the movie too. That would be greatly appreciated.

I watched the movie without having any previous understanding of the X franchise, and I must say, I was 110% lost watching the film. It was just so difficult for me to grasp what was going on aside from the basic story. I picked up a few things, but there were too many characters and too much going on to keep track of it without knowing what's going on. After watching it, I wasn't sure what to think, except I didn't like the ending.

But I've since watched the TV series and the manga, loved them both dearly, so I bought the movie because, and on second watch, it's not a bad film for only having about six volumes of an eventual 18 to work with, but it's not X at it's best. I still hate the last twenty minutes.

Check out the TV series if you get the chance, because it's on a different level of quality.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Highly inferior to a wonderful TV series and CLAMP manga. Since you've already spent the money I'd watch it, well because, you've already spent the money.

TV series is very cool though and much more coherent.

All the Best,

Nani?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
I watched the movie first when it was on the Action Channel. Thought it was absolutely terrible in almost every way, with a way too rushed storyline and absolutely no character development whatsoever. The only thing that I liked was the music and the animation. Years later I was out voted in my anime club and ended up watching the TV series which to my surprise ended up being like 1000 times better than the film and I really liked it. Everything is better story, characters, music, annimation, action sequences, etc. Shocked

In short use your copy of the film for skeet shooting or a drink coaster and buy the 24 episode series instead.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote

or you could sell it and put the money towards the TV series >_>
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
or you could sell it and put the money towards the TV series >_>

Sure there's always the non-destructive method, but it's not as fun. Twisted Evil
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
Well, I never watched the series but plan to. but the movie like everyone said was rushed, horrible dubbing, probably the worst anime movie out there. Except the only reason i for one did like the movie was because of the ending(only part that had actual made a response to me) and the graphics were pretty nice and I'm a strange guy who even likes darkside blues and twilight of the dark master.

But most will hate it and understandable so...you won't get most of it except for the general story and a little bit about the main character...the other characters you will never understand in the movie version without reading the manga or tv show and you might wan to get into tokyo babylon as well since one of the characters is from that show/manga. sorry for the misspellings and grammer errors I'm holding onto a baby with one arm and typing with other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:21 am Reply with quote
... that's pretty hardcore of you o_o

ANYWAY, I'm not sure on the TOKYO BABYLON OAV series...

people tend to not like it coming from the TOKYO BABYLON manga...

I wouldn't really know though since I haven't seen them yet... but, I was just saying
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:39 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

I wouldn't really know though since I haven't seen them yet... but, I was just saying

theres only two episodes I would just read the manga personally but I liked those two episodes and really hope they make more. But I think it's a good way other then reading all the mangas to get a good character profile on the character though you won't know much of his past you'll know what type of person he is.. but to find out past and present and a hardcore profile view of the character read the manga...I still really hope there'll be more dubbed episodes of tokyo babylon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:43 am Reply with quote
Basicly the only crossover characters from TB are the spoiler[two characters on the rooftop in the very beginning of the film that kill each other off in like 3 seconds. Eliminating the need for you to know who they were or ever care about their demise. A problem not just unique to them but with every single one of the secondary characters in the film. You just won't give a crap about them they're just cannon-fodder carboad cut-outs. ] In the series however, they get lots more screen time, and backstories, and are far more humanized and developed.

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:53 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:

theres only two episodes I would just read the manga personally but I liked those two episodes and really hope they make more. But I think it's a good way other then reading all the mangas to get a good character profile on the character though you won't know much of his past you'll know what type of person he is.. but to find out past and present and a hardcore profile view of the character read the manga...I still really hope there'll be more dubbed episodes of tokyo babylon.

I hope they make a damn TV SERIES of the thing actually Confused

It'd be great!
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
remember love wrote:

I hope they make a damn TV SERIES of the thing actually Confused

It'd be great!
I was looking into it more at ANN. And it was in the news that CPM(Central PArk MEdia) had decided to discontinue it....why I don't know; the second episode of Tokyo Baylon that had came out came in 66 in the top100 anime of Animage magazine. Why they made the decision to discontinue who knows I would of figured with the manga out would of had them getting more but hopefulyl they'll one day decide to get back on it.
Oh, and kruzer I was talking about learning the characters from the show not the movie sorry if I made that unclear. Learning about the characters from the moive X is basically pointless. Only the main character can you really get any understanding from and that was pretty limited in itself.

Last edited by remember love on Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I understood that I was just trying to put my feelings about the movie's characterization accross replying to DKL's post about TB and how it relates to X in terms of the two characters of Subaru Sumaragi and Seishiro Sakurazuka which kind of led into a little rant there. So it's nothing you did wrong.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:43 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

The Tokyo Babylon OVAs do nothing. It's so sad. Unike a lot of people, I liked the first one better than the second, since the second was just a snooze, except for the climax.

At least we got to hear Kappei Yamaguchi as Subaru. That's good for me.

I think it really pays to read Tokyo Babylon before watching or reading X. There's so much backstory for Subaru, Hokuto, and Seishiro, and it goes a long way in making X that much more enjoyable. It's really too bad the CLAMP School Detectives didn't show up in the television anime. They were swell in the manga.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
i thought it was awesome til i read a few volumes of the manga... now i think it's a travesty.

the series is a lot better, but the ending is disappointing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2