• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AKB0048 + Next Stage (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I wondered how an AKB48 video on YouTube could be marked "NSFW," and having watched it I don't see why you'd think it deserves that designation. Is it the fact that we see girls kissing or that they're wearing skimpy two-piece outfits? I'd call it NSFW because the song itself is pretty boring and generic, but not because of what is portrayed on screen.

It depends where you work, I guess. Most employers may take a dim view of you watching nubile Japanese girls running round in their undercrackers and soaking with their (underage) sisters in a bath of milk. But hey, you might have a really liberal boss Wink It's better safe than sorry in a lot of cases.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm my own boss; it's easier that way.

Frankly even if I were someone else's boss, I wouldn't be concerned about them watching this as long as they weren't doing it when they were supposed to be working. I'm not that young, either, and I still feel that way. I've seen the occasional American music video full of skanky women that's a lot more offensive than this. Even Jennifer Lopez seems convinced that she needs to sex things up as she heads into her mid-forties.

I might wonder a bit more about them watching Manatsu no Sounds Good, mostly because I haven't the foggiest idea what is going on in that video beyond babes, blood, bikinis and ballistic missiles. As a song it's a lot better than "Heavy Rotation" though.

Last edited by yuna49 on Tue May 08, 2012 10:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
No, on the grand scale of things it's not that offensive a video. Like I said though, better safe than sorry, especially when linking to things on the internet. I wasn't trying to paint the video as more alluring than it actually is, just making sure that if anyone DID get a critical glance in their direction whilst watching... Well, I kinda warned you.

Considering how reserved the Japanese can be, it's pretty risqué by their standards... Not, however, by our own, as you've pointed out.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Considering how reserved the Japanese can be, it's pretty risqué by their standards.

Oh, really?
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
Emphasis on "can be". In the context of a pop music video, it's more bold than most produced over there. Sure, it's easy to pull up an extreme example of them being all ker-ay-zee and they have their fair share of depravity, but we both know that's hardly mainstream programming in Japan.

I do believe we're straying off topic, however.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Everyone has their own BS limit. Some shows are fun enough to disable the limiter, but this show isn't that, and I think I'm going to have to get off here. Maybe if I didn't find the song-and-dance numbers so (insert negative adjectives here)...

It's just too... lazy. It does things it's supposed to, and the audience likes it because it's supposed to. You see a picture like this:

Hmm... I wonder which 6 of these girls are going to make it. (nevermind that Makoto has turned invisible)

Maybe the message is supposed to be about friendship, and never giving up, but the message I see is one of always following orders and ignoring stupidity. I mean, sure, these girls might not be military tacticians, spoiler[but they've seen the mechs, and should be screaming BS the moment they're handed assault rifles to deal with them (where did they get 20th century assault rifles in the future?). Or the moment they're assigned to a location nowhere near the show, in order to fend off a supposed attack from the air. And did none of them bother looking up or finding out whether there actually is an entertainment ban on the planet they were headed towards? It sounded pretty famous... Instead, what they're angry about is that they don't get to sing, before they've even passed auditions.]

The message? Yes, it's incredibly stupid, but you should do it anyway, because you're told to do so. Which would be a really interesting thing to say about being an idol, except that I don't think this particular production is interested in that kind of critical take.

Oh, and by the way, spoiler[you may be able to fake a bullet, but you can't fake an explosion powerful enough to lift a human being off her feet. Which means all the girls who didn't pass? Dead. It's like some kind of hair-color-based eugenics program.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
The fact of crazy hair equelling skill is big part of anime, just like erections making your nose bleed and screaming makes things stronger. To get anywhere you need to at least dye youre hair and maybe a strabge hair style, that or get a verbal tic.

I am enjoying my time, the military stuff in space probably a little too much from what I have been watchin lately. I was rather spooked that spoiler[I was watching little girls being gunned down, that is dark stuff man, but it seems that it was likely fairly carefully staged.] I find myself interested in knowing more about the war and stuff that seems to have caused so much distruction and bans against entertainment.

I have watched more unbelievable anime, so some crazy stuff does not pierce too deep.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
Using hair color as an excuse for an anime not being grounded enough in reality seems like a stretch to me, but that's up to the individual, I suppose. If you're not enjoying it, there's certainly no reason to continue.

I think a far more relevant cry for the bs meter is that AKB0048 appears to have maintained a staggering level of success without seeming to perform any songs released after 2010, with the exception of "Shoujo Tachi yo." Laughing

I liked the fourth episode. Glad we finally rounded out the main cast. A handful of cornball moments, but it's still holding up very well for me.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 5! It's an R and R episode that finally gives us some interaction of the main cast and their seniors (like Tomochin's family; oh god Shocked). And MAN you can hear the pretty drastic difference in voice acting quality between the two! It's interesting how it also laid out quite of bit of future plot lines like spoiler[where do the centers go, Linda's (the glasses girl who sounds like she has a lisp) suspicion of this Sensei-Sensei, and I'm not the only who thinks death flags are raised among some of the senior cast, right?] Wait, how many episodes is this series going to last? I hope there enough time for them.

Next episode looks like it's fairly doozy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5F3lnBjUM
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
I don't think I have really anything to say but that I am still watching, with no reason not to. I guess so far I am not sure if the show is going for a light and fluffy, or darker feel, I hope that if indeed it wants to explore its darker themes, that it do it soon.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
Sonata 4-eva!!!
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

spoiler[Girls fighting against machines they made.
It's ironic their previous job was building machines which fight against akb0048.
Nagisa was going through some serious issues.
No wonder, considering everything that's been going on.
The concert was a raging success but the fight that went on at the same time ended it prematurely.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:56 am Reply with quote
I am still watching this too, been having a fun time with some of the emotional stuff, plus some techno jazz, and even some of the general idol things are good. While some of the things like the WOTA glow sticks were a bit cheesy. For some reason I am drawn in to a lot of the fighting.

Apparently there will be 13 episodes, so I will be giving a proper post next week. Oh god, that will be 10 episodes, a Cub Scout night, and having to look back on all of this series. Shocked
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I was WAITING for someone to make a thread about this show! Anime hyper

I think it's wonderful. It's hard for me to stay away from ANY anime that deals with music as its main theme...but I also love the SUPER-SHOUJO-HEARTS-character designs, I love the drama and I love the messages it sends out. I initially thought from the premise and first ten minutes that the anime was going to be stupid...and my opinion did a 180 turn by the time the first episode was over. Yes, I like this show.

I'm currently working on a cosplay (it's the red and purple uniform the 75th gen wears) And I have it get it done by next week....for Otakon. (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

Speaking of "lols", here's a Kirara signature I made for total LOLZ

Quote:
Sonata 4-eva!!!

Anime hyper She's my favorite one too. She's a cutie-pie!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
Sonata is cute, but I prefer Suzuko, I have a big weakness for kind bookworm characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8