• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Good, not so obscure, anime movies.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animonkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
What are some good anime movies on DVD in the US I could probably find without too much trouble at a normal store like best buy or blockbuster, without having to specifically go to an anime store. Some examples are GitS, Akira, Spirited Away, etc.[/i]
tsukinoken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote
animonkey wrote:
What are some good anime movies on DVD in the US I could probably find without too much trouble at a normal store like best buy or blockbuster, without having to specifically go to an anime store. Some examples are GitS, Akira, Spirited Away, etc.[/i]

Grave of the fireflies is quite a compelling story thats easy to find which I enjoyed because which shows how the difficultys of war can strike anyone at anytime.
fargazer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Best Buy often has a decent selection of newer anime, as well as Media Play, so a "tad" obscure might work Smile

I would say Millenium Actress is one; I have seen it both stand alone and bundled with another title, but I can't remember what the other title was. It's a good drama about the retelling of an actress's career coming to life.

More than that, we'd need to know a bit about your tastes, and what you considered good. Are you looking for "classics"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
YourNeighborTotoro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
fargazer wrote:
I have seen it both stand alone and bundled with another title, but I can't remember what the other title was.

It was Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. I remember seeing this on Overstock.

Last edited by YourNeighborTotoro on Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
patch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
animonkey wrote:

If you liked Spirited Away, I'd suggest checking out Princess Mononoke. Another great Miyazaki film, with a very good english dub featuring basically all 'Hollywood' voice actors. Another fantasy anime, but with a much more mythological feel.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'd reccommend anything by Satoshi Con like Perfect Blue, and Tokyo Godfather. Millenium Actress was already mentions. PB and MA are supposed to be movies that mess with your mind but Tokyo Godfather is a really nice sort of adventure story of 3 hobos trying to find a home for an abandoned baby. Really nice tale and the characters are just great. I know that there is no english dub of it. Is that the same for the other 2 movies?
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
animonkey wrote:

The titles you mentioned are bascially all Blockbuster carries, aside from Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and the old Saban episodes of DBZ.
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:39 am Reply with quote
Steamboy would be a good one and very easy to find because it basically just came out...There are other threads the talk about steam boy you should go and look at them to get opinions. But I'll just say that I liked it but it's a bit of a long movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
bquinn wrote:
jin-roh and metropolis has not been mentioned yet, 2 of my favorites.

I couldn't stand metropolis I was watching it then about 30 mins I had to turn it off. I can't even remember why I hated it...but something about it really bugged the hell out of me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1