• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ninja Resurrection

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I recently purchased the Essential Anime Collection edition of the DVD from ADVfilms as seen here. However the show ended in a major cliffhanger. I checked the encyclopedia and there were only two episodes listed, the same as what is contained on the DVD. I have two quesitons, one how many episodes are there or is there another series or movie to it and two what actually is the Essential Anime Collection that ADVfilms is putting out?
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Only two episodes were produced. A final conclusion was never written, as the producers probably ran out of funding or realized that the production wasn't yielding any results.

Also, the only difference between the EA release and the original one is the replacement of the 2.0 English track with a 5.1 track (2.0 is stereo/5.1 is surround), as well as a lower price point.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
And i'm sure the "essential" part is just to get customers to buy it. Wouldn't you think: well I don't have this anime in my collection never saw it but it's in the essential list of anime so I guess it means it good and that anime fan would probably go off and buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
And i'm sure the "essential" part is just to get customers to buy it. Wouldn't you think: well I don't have this anime in my collection never saw it but it's in the essential list of anime so I guess it means it good and that anime fan would probably go off and buy it.

Haha:

Seen in part or in whole by 245 users, rank: #478
Median rating: Weak
Arithmetic mean: 2.9672 (Weak-.03), std. dev.: 2.6018, rank: #2583
Weighted mean: 2.9071 (Weak-.09), rank: #2586
Bayesian estimate: 3.20896 (Weak+.20), rank: #1628

If by "essential" they mean 49.2% of the users giving this title a Bad rating and below, then it's very much worth the MSRP of $19.98.

What's that? It's the #1 Worst Rated Anime? Hey, whadda' ya' know? The top 3 worst anime titles are also licensed by (*gasp*) ADV.

I think I'll order pizza with that $20, instead Anime catgrin...
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
No offense, Kyle, but why did you buy Ninja Resurrection?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
remember love

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:28 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
remember love wrote:

Haha:

Seen in part or in whole by 245 users, rank: #478
Median rating: Weak
Arithmetic mean: 2.9672 (Weak-.03), std. dev.: 2.6018, rank: #2583
Weighted mean: 2.9071 (Weak-.09), rank: #2586
Bayesian estimate: 3.20896 (Weak+.20), rank: #1628

If by "essential" they mean 49.2% of the users giving this title a Bad rating and below, then it's very much worth the MSRP of $19.98.

What's that? It's the #1 Worst Rated Anime? Hey, whadda' ya' know? The top 3 worst anime titles are also licensed by (*gasp*) ADV.

I think I'll order pizza with that $20, instead Anime catgrin...

what are the other 2? And of course not everyone looks to see the ratings on ANN.com....I do every once in a while but alot of my anime I like gets kicked around a lot lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
what are the other 2? And of course not everyone looks to see the ratings on ANN.com....I do every once in a while but alot of my anime I like gets kicked around a lot lol.

Samurai Showdown: The Motion Picture and Tekken: The Motion Picture. I've seen SS, and actually was inclined to return it to Gamestop the same day I bought it. Aside from it being English dub only, the story itself was horrible, the characters very bland and lacking from their video game counterparts, and by the way, the dubbing was another great example of why "ADV gets a lot of hate." But I don't think a Japanese track could've saved this movie anyway...
remember love

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:06 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
remember love wrote:

Samurai Showdown: The Motion Picture and Tekken: The Motion Picture. I've seen SS, and actually was inclined to return it to Gamestop the same day I bought it. Aside from it being English dub only, the story itself was horrible, the characters very bland and lacking from their video game counterparts, and by the way, the dubbing was another great example of why "ADV gets a lot of hate." But I don't think a Japanese track could've saved this movie anyway...

Yeah I remember tekken I taped it on vhs when it was on action channel it was pretty darn bad...But I guess they thought that people would just buy it and like it jus tbecause of the video game...Though I don't think there is a good fight video game anime out there except for street fighter(which I liked the movie not to keen on the show)....wish there was because like tekkan they have background stories of the characters that is a good setup for an anime...they just screwed it up. I never saw the other one you're talking about.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
Though I don't think there is a good fight video game anime out there except for street fighter(which I liked the movie not to keen on the show)....wish there was because like tekkan they have background stories of the characters that is a good setup for an anime...they just screwed it up.

My favorite fighting game anime is Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture. A lot of people say it's rushed and the characters don't develop, but I like to think I already know their personalities from playing the games and seeing the previous OAVs.

And with all of that in mind, the overall presentation of the movie was a tremendous joy for me to watch. The animation is fluid, the artwork is pretty good, I love the soundtrack (and wish I could find the CD), and I also like the dubbing (since Ocean has a lot of voices I like). For a more in depth opinion, read this post.

As for Street Fighter, the only two anime incarnations of those I like are Street Fighter II V and Street Fighter Alpha: The Movie. With SFV being 29 episodes, it does a good job attempting to build backstories and develop some of the characters with what little information you get in the games. The action is nice throughout the beginning and middle of the series with a little drama in between, but the only thing that irked me was the drawn out fight at the end against Bison/Vega.

SFA, on the other hand, has some really nice production values. I didn't care much for the story, especially with such a stupid looking villain.

The animation was very fluid for all the fight sequences they had, the artwork was fitting of the character designs in the original game, the voice cast is pretty good for both languages, and the music was pleasantly dramatic for a change, using a live orchestra instead of various rock and synth junk. I'm especially anxious to hear the composer's work for the upcoming Hellsing Ultimate OAV.

All that kept me from rating this title any better was the story. I got a few goosebumps when Akuma/Gouki showed up and I wish they would've done more with that, but I guess I'll have to get SFA: Generations to see if they expanded upon that even further.

Oh, and Vampire Hunter (a.k.a Nightwarriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge) is also pretty good. I never got a chance to really play the games, but I'm a fan for the supernatural and played the games enough to know some of the major characters. Refer to this small post for a little of why I like it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:11 pm Reply with quote
This is probabally the second worst anime I've ever seen just behind X: The Movie. Nothing but a gore-fest really as the story isn't all that interesting, and I pretty much hated all the characters as well. Good thing I only rented it, I think it's only under their Essential Anime label because it's "Essential" that they get rid of it as soon as possible.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Isn't there a supposed connection between Ninja Resurrection and Ninja Scroll? I remember reading somewhere that there is a supposed connection but haven't seen Ressurection yet. Anyways I read a review on it and the way they decribed it, it wasn't worth viewing but i'll probably still see it just for the fun of it. I don't really care how crappy an anime based on a video game is because to me seeing the characters in anime is good enough for me.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The only thing the two have in common is that the main characters of both are named Jubei and they're both quite on the violent side involving ninjas. They're two different creations that have no connection to each other.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:

It looked good from what I read on the back of the DVD. It says something about an orgy of violence and that pretty much caught my attention. It was a pretty good anime though. It had violence, a fairly decent plot, and interesting characters.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Ninja Resurrection wasn't that bad. I was interested in it and I wish there was more. I think the problem is that most people watch it expecting Ninja Scroll due that statement on the cover that says "from the creators of Ninja Scroll" and are disappointed that it isn't as good.
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:06 am Reply with quote
Kyle Smyth wrote:
areaseven wrote:

It looked good from what I read on the back of the DVD. It says something about an orgy of violence and that pretty much caught my attention. It was a pretty good anime though. It had violence, a fairly decent plot, and interesting characters.

Some people just love the violence. I myself pretyt much prefer story and charater development then action then violence would come after that. After violence would be technicaly stuff(dubbing,graphics,etc.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2